Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 06-27-2006, 04:50 AM   #1
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Default Larry wanted to waive Marbury, Francis, Rose & others

Quote:
Brown Wanted Knicks To Waive Marbury, Francis, James, Rose and Taylor

New York Times - After finally addressing the press, Knicks owner James Dolan revealed that working with Brown in the future would be unachievable after Brown made questionable demands.

The most questionable had Brown request that the team waive Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Jerome James, Jalen Rose and Maurice Taylor - a move that would have cost the Knicks roughly $150 million in salary.

Late last season, Brown admitted that he had lost the faith of many of his players.

Dolan claimed that Brown focused too much on trying to be the GM of the team and not enough on coaching them. [

Source: NY Times
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Brown said that sh!t so he could get 40 million dollars for nothing. Anybody saying something that stupid should get fired.

U don't know how much respect I've lost for Brown after the Olympics (then he got it back after going back to the finals), now after the Knicks fiasco there's no returning from that. He should just retire.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
Zombles
Local High School Star

they should've said ok.

maybe kept Marbury.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:04 AM   #4
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Now we know a little more about why Dolan fired Larry Brown. According to the New York Post, the Knicks documented at least a dozen instances where Brown contacted other teams about potential trades without Isiah’s knowledge. A source told the paper that on one occasion, Thomas called another team’s GM to propose a trade, only to learn that Brown had called that same team earlier in the day and made a different offer to the assistant GM. “We couldn’t get Larry to focus on his job,” Dolan was quoted. “He wanted to focus on Isiah’s job.”

DimeMag

loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
they should've said ok.

maybe kept Marbury.

Marbury is the only one of them that they can't trade. Francis doesn't have too bad a rep and is still putting up nice numbers and could definately get traded, IF things dont work out next year with Isiah coaching.

Rose is a big contract that can produce some, that is also expiring. Some team will bite on that without question.

No need to waive them, trade them. Probably for hustle type guys.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:08 AM   #6
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
“We couldn’t get Larry to focus on his job,” Dolan was quoted. “He wanted to focus on Isiah’s job.”
I'd have done the same if Isiah was the GM of my team. Can't blame Brown for that.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:12 AM   #7
reppy
Apparently likes anime

I can't say I blame him.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:14 AM   #8
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Now we know a little more about why Dolan fired Larry Brown. According to the New York Post, the Knicks documented at least a dozen instances where Brown contacted other teams about potential trades without Isiah’s knowledge. A source told the paper that on one occasion, Thomas called another team’s GM to propose a trade, only to learn that Brown had called that same team earlier in the day and made a different offer to the assistant GM. “We couldn’t get Larry to focus on his job,” Dolan was quoted. “He wanted to focus on Isiah’s job.”

Wow. I mean no wonder they fukking sucked. Everybody in the organization hated Larry. And he didn't even try to coach the team. Stern should look at this and award Brown with 0 dollars. Brown was fighting with guys from day 1. Theyre gonna be better next year without question, because they may actually get along and maybe TRY.

U can say that the team has too big a salary. Yeah it does, but it was over 100 million before Isiah even got there. The owners obviously don't want to just rebuild. So he added salaries. Isiah brought in 3 productive rookies in last year. Frye looks like he can be an allstar in a couple years. Isiah brought in Marbury and people originally thought he was a genius. I think Curry is better than any of the big men people are saying can be number 1 pick (I see him breaking out next season).

Thanks to Isiah, they have talent on the perimeter and interior. When they had nothing and 100million on the cap before him. The team last year would've made the playoffs with 75% of the coaches in the league and probably will next year

Last edited by Y2Gezee : 06-27-2006 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:21 AM   #9
Zombles
Local High School Star

That's prolly one of the worst things I've ever heard a coach do.

And he was doing so good with the 2004 Pistons. Wtf happened Larry?
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:25 AM   #10
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
I think Curry is better than any of the big men people are saying can be number 1 pick (I see him breaking out next season).
Yeah, sure, and he'll finish second for MIP after Michael Olowokandi...
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:27 AM   #11
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
Yeah, sure, and he'll finish second for MIP after Michael Olowokandi...

The guy had a very productive season with Chicago the year before, and wasn't able to build on that as Brown cut his minutes and didn't use him right. Curry could easily be a player that averages 18-20ppg, he's not a great rebounder but I could see him getting 7-9 a game with increased minutes
Old 06-27-2006, 06:01 AM   #12
FabCasablancas
Banned

I'm not a big Larry Brown fan by any means... but I also wouldn't believe a word out of the Knicks organization now. They have been trying to paint Brown as the bad guy since the season ended. If anyone is to take the most blame it should be Isiaha. he is the one that got Stephon... then Q trade.. I mean this guy just gets swindled over and over again. He is the one that allowed the Suns to get Nash. Without him bailing the Suns out and taking Stephon the Suns are screwed right now.
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:10 AM   #13
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
I'm not a big Larry Brown fan by any means... but I also wouldn't believe a word out of the Knicks organization now. They have been trying to paint Brown as the bad guy since the season ended. If anyone is to take the most blame it should be Isiaha. he is the one that got Stephon... then Q trade.. I mean this guy just gets swindled over and over again. He is the one that allowed the Suns to get Nash. Without him bailing the Suns out and taking Stephon the Suns are screwed right now.

The Stephon trade gave them something atleast when they had nothing and got them in the playoffs. Aside from that he HAD to get something for Mcdyess's expirer as they were still gonna be over the cap and not be able to get anything for him (once again Dolan didn't want to rebuild and wait to get under cap (which they would probably just be doing next summer). I can't say I necessarily agree with the Q trade, but its not like he gave away that much and I think he'll be able to trade Q by seasons end aswell and they needed good perimeter shooters.

Isiah is having to try and patch together a team using trades as he got it when it was already paying out 100mil a year for players. Its not easy, but I think having Frye and Curry coached by somebody that cares is gonna make them a pretty good team next year.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:37 AM   #14
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Anyone who buys that story is a bonehead. I cant wait to see how the Knicks do with Zeek coaching them. Then LB will have the last laugh. You dont fire a HOF coach after 1 season. The makeup of that team is horrible.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:45 AM   #15
hawkfan
Billy Ocean Fan

He is a HOF coach, but he was a terrible fit for the personnel that they have in terms of his coaching style.

It was a bad fit in the first place. He shouldn't have been offered the coaching job, and he shouldn't have taken it.

Isiah can be a better coach for that team because he will let them run and gun. That team's strengths are on the offensive end, not defense.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: