Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Jballer
Local High School Star

Default Good to see the team striving at seasons end ..

Regardless of the final win loss record - good to see them striving....

Noted Derozan's comments verses Nets...

Toronto will miss the playoffs for the fifth straight year, the longest streak of futility in franchise history, but DeRozan already has high hopes for next year, when he and Gay will line up together for a full season. Toronto acquired Gay from Memphis in a three-team trade on Jan. 30.

"I don't see any team being able to stop us, especially if we're playing like we played tonight,'' DeRozan said.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...#ixzz2QXgjbMTh

Lets hope for next season..
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Good to see the team striving at seasons end ..

The Raptors are good at these "false hope" meaningless wins at the end of the season. But like every other time, they are meaningless when it comes to the next year if you still ahve the same roster. I'm sure the management can't wait to talk about the "progress of the team over these two weeks". I imagine that we're going to be fed that BS all off-season.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
The Raptors are good at these "false hope" meaningless wins at the end of the season. But like every other time, they are meaningless when it comes to the next year if you still ahve the same roster. I'm sure the management can't wait to talk about the "progress of the team over these two weeks". I imagine that we're going to be fed that BS all off-season.

Honestly I was floored seeing all the headlines at our major media outlets' websites about how encouraging the last two weeks have been going into next year. It's like there's a widespread case of amnesia for the past 5 years where we always make these pointless surges against teams half-assing the last month of the year either because they're tanking or prepping for the playoffs, and then we still suck the next season.

But what about the Leafs last year some may say who made a late push and now are playoff-bound this year? Well, last year they surged under a new coach who was hired at year end, then in the offseason added one of their top scorers now (JVR), had the new coach allow a previously buried-in-the-minors player with high ceiling come up and play who is now our top scorer (Kadri) and we now have steady goaltending after our #1 tender got time to fully rebound from his concussions. Finally, we got hot in a shortened season. Are there any similar factors at play for the Raps? No? Didn't think so.

I also find it funny that the same writers telling us (rightly) not to read too much into the Jays' first two weeks of the season vs. the whole year to come, want us (wrongly) to read alot into the last two weeks of the Raps' year. Oh the hypocrisy.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
pirate army
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
I also find it funny that the same writers telling us (rightly) not to read too much into the Jays' first two weeks of the season vs. the whole year to come, want us (wrongly) to read alot into the last two weeks of the Raps' year. Oh the hypocrisy.

Nailed it.
That's Toronto (or Canada) media in a nutshell.
pirate army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason

Great post agreed.

And to Q's point the same roster means more of the same. I agree.

I do find a 'little solace' in teams competing to the end... Not that I think this is suddenly better than 10th next year... its just that "bad chemistry teams" fold like a cheap suit when there is nothing to play for. Average or better chemistry teams play thru as professionally as they can. I dont think we will see the usual off season of "bad chemistry teams" - with announcements in the media that player x wants out of Toronto.

Well perhaps one news item from Italy but that should be about it.

I dont hold this little end of season hustle as more promising than than what it is - playing out the string... but I kinda get the impression that Derozan, Gay, Amir, and Klow think they are capable of more which is better than the other way around.

We will see what Management does... to Q's point
Old 04-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Jballer
Local High School Star

Sorry examples... good chemistry teams.. Mavericks this year.. seems like the professionalism accepts they missed but have hope for next year witht he right pieces..

Bad chemistry teams... all those Clipper teams that frankly had talent ; once they missed the chance... they always folded when they had plenty of talented draft picks of the day...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: