Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far
Default Man keeps Superbowl bet, changes name to Peyton Manning

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

DECATUR, Ill. (AP) -- How do you spell Scott Wiese?

In a few weeks, that'd be P-e-y-t-o-n M-a-n-n-i-n-g.

ADVERTISEMENT
Wiese, a die-hard fan of the Chicago Bears, signed a pledge in front of a crowd at a Decatur bar last Friday night that if the Bears lost Sunday's Super Bowl, he'd change his name to that of the man who led the Indianapolis Colts to victory.

Final Score: Colts 29, Bears 17.

So on Tuesday, Wiese went to the Macon County Courts Facility and started the process of changing his name.

"I made the bet, and now I've got to keep it," said the 26-year-old, who lives in Forsyth, just north of Decatur.

Wiese will now have to advertise his intention in the local newspaper -- the Herald & Review -- for several weeks and then have a judge give him the OK to become, legally anyway, Peyton Manning.

The men have little in common, Wiese acknowledges.

Manning the quarterback is 30 years old, stands 6-foot-5 and has a contract with the Colts worth more than $100 million.

Wiese is 5-foot-11 and works at a Staples office-supply store for somewhat less.

"I think I kind of represent all Bears fans," he said. "Not that I'm saying they're all idiots like me, but I represent their passion because I really care about my team, you know?"

Wiese's lawyer and friend, Andy Bourey, is handling the paperwork. He said he admires Wiese's sense of honor.

"I never doubted him," he said. "He's a man of his word."

While he pledged to take on the new identity, Wiese isn't sure how long he's willing to keep it.

Say, maybe, until the Bears' next Super Bowl appearance? Not likely, given that their last trip to the big game was in 1985.

"I mean, well, it may be another 21 years."
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
Spike Spiegel
Local High School Star

Spike Spiegel has decent reputationSpike Spiegel has decent reputation
Default Re: Man keeps Superbowl bet, changes name to Peyton Manning

OUCH!

Eff that...he was probably drunk at the time anyways.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:37 AM   #3
space
Local High School Star

space has an OK reputation so far

haha why would he make the bet in the first place?
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

Because of confidence in his team, but good for him. Its good to know that there is a Peyton Manning supporting the Bears.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I remember the guy that lost a bet, and had to get breast implants. I think it was for a year, but he kept them anyway!
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

wow, what a ridiculous bet. imagine having to walk around carrying the name of the guy who eliminated your team from the playoffs.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Chairman_Yao
Kids at the park dunk on me

Chairman_Yao has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by space
haha why would he make the bet in the first place?

Better yet, why would he keep it?
Chairman_Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

And here I thought an avatar bet was the most humiliating thing in the world.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: