Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
BIZARRO
Local High School Star

Default Went to the McDonald's game tonight: Observations...

Went to the game tonight. Here are some observations, based not just how they played in the game, but how good they project/or are currently in general.

Two best players on the floor:
Jabari Parker
Aaron Gordon

Jabari couldn't buy a shot early, so his numbers might be a little off, but he is the real deal. The most pro ready, the most complete, more strength and spring than I expected. A winner. Protected the basket early as the West got out to the lead. Also was playing with 3 black holes in Gordon, (who actually has great vision when he chooses to, but is attack/drive first) and the Harrisons. You could tell Parker din't like playing with the Harrisons, it was palpable. He was trying to direct them through screens, not getting passed to by them when open, was visibly disgusted. Anyway, not sure how it translated on TV, but live he is the real deal.
Him and Gordon really get on well. You could tell as they were talking, laughing suring every break/timeout.
He is the best player in the class IMO.
Pro equivalent- Mix between Melo and Grant Hill.

Gordon is a close second. Dude is legit. Just a great, attacking motor. He will always get his. Good on the offensive glass, surprisingly great passer. Not bad handles. Great demanor. Another winner. If Parker and him played together in college with their size, skill, etc. they would destroy.
Just very impressive, always in the right place at the right time. Great hops.
Parker is the best player, most complete, but Gordon is the one who can hang with him.
Pro Equivalent- A more skilled, visioned Blake Griffin.

Others:

Andrew Wiggins- Once again, I am trying not go by just one game but by what I think just from who they are in general, and to be honest I think Wiggins is probably overrated. I took one look at him and said THAT's Andrew Wiggins, and not in a good way. Don't get me wrong the guy has the SICKEST hops. I mean, other than LBJ, MJ and some (very, very few special leapers I've never seen anyone get up like he does. Just pretty amazing, head over the rim. Pretty amazing. But he looked stiff to me, small shoulders. If I didn't know him I would have thought most of the time that he was just another guy out there. He has a sick spin move, attacked Parker a couple times impressively, but he just didn't look nearly as special in warmups, the game, in general as I thought he'd be. He is not currently IMO on the level of Parker and Gordon. They were men among boys, he was one of the boys.Perhaps the fact he still had 19 despite looking ordinary is a testament to how good he really is, I just don't see it so much, at least as a winning basketball player.
Pro equivalent- A smaller, skinnier Dominique.

The Sleeper:
Anthony Barber- Most entertaining player to me and my 2 friends I went to the game with. The most pass first player out there. Small, but lightning quick. Sick handles, passing. Guy is awesome. If he can grow a little, put something on his frame, can be special.
Pro Equivalent: Mix between Rondo, Kenny Anderson, hint of Brandon Jennings.

Julius Randle- Had some moments where you were like man, that is some sick potential and pro moves. Good court vision and passing. Didn't have the best game, but he is a top 4-6 player in the class IMO.
Pro equivalent: Luol Deng mixed with Zach Randolph.

Nigel Williams-Goss- Sick defender, pretty good overall.
Pro equivalent- Smaller Matt Barnes.

James Young- Nothing special.
Isaac Hamilton-Nothing special.

The Harrisons- Play with a total edge. Almost angry out there. Good chemistry together. But as I mentioned not the easiest to play with. But you will win with them due to their aggressiveness and energy.
When the West had Parker, Gordon, and the Harrisons out there together, they basically would slaughter the East. Just too physically imposing.
Pro equivalent: Chauncey Billups.

Bobby Portis, Jr. -Not bad. Good size, little passive.
Pro equivalent: Chirs Bosh.

Matt Jones- Solid, but nothing special.

Jabari Bird. - Solid, but nothing special either. A little smallish, skinny.

Marcus Lee- Nothing special.

Jarrell Martin
Dakari Johnson
These two stuck out as very solid inside presences. Both BIG dudes and skilled. Was impressed by both. Zach Randolph types. Just agressive and tough. Liked both of their games.

Kasey Hill- Nothing special.
Wayne Selden- Had a couple of moments. Nothing Special.

Rondae Hollison Jefferson- Had some really good moments. Think he has some really good potential.

Keith Frazier- Hear he was practicing awesome. But didn't notice anything, or at least don't remember anything about seeing him.

Isaiah Hicks- Nothing special.
Kennedy Meeks- Nothing special.
Demetrius Jackson- Nothing special.

Chris Walker- SICK hops and athlete. Great length. Something about his passiveness, when not dunking of course, bothers me. He is a wildcard, could be great, or not at all.
Pro equivalent: Darius Miles.

Noah Vonleh- Solid, Upper half in talent to be sure. Not spectacular, but good.

Anyway, there you have it. I think Parker and Gordon are the best and most likely will be the best ones. Wiggins of course has a chance to be special, but he does not project at all to me to being the next "great" one. Barber is sick and exciting. Randle could turn out to be very good. Jarrel MArtin and Dakari Johnson are really good inside. Walker is a great athlete. The Harrison's are pretty tough kids no doubt.

Top 10 would go like this:
1. Parker
2. Gordon
3. Wiggins
4. Barber
5. Randle
6. Johnson
7. Martin
8 and 9. The Harrisons
10. Vonleh

Hopefully this gives some insight. Just my opinion after watching everyone all night. Fun game to go to. Lot of great plays.
BIZARRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
GilZero
I hit open 5-footers

Default Re: Went to the McDonald's game tonight: Observations...

Cool post! Need more threads like this one.

GilZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

hmmm so does this mean that wiggins kinda lacks killer instinct to take over the game against better competition ?
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
ukfan22
High school junior varsity star

James Young played hurt
ukfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
dbk123
Banned

Parker in no way showed he was one of the best on the floor tonight. Wiggins looked a lot better than him. Plus dat spin move to floater got damn.

And lol at barber a pass first point guard. He was the biggest ball hog on the court

Last edited by dbk123 : 04-04-2013 at 02:19 AM.
dbk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

My observations form watching on tv:

1) I'm a short, fat piece of shit.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #7
BIZARRO
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside23
hmmm so does this mean that wiggins kinda lacks killer instinct to take over the game against better competition ?

I don't think it means he lacks the killer instinct necessarily. He just didn't look like he had the goods to do it. Yet, anyway.
I think he is confident, but he just looked kind of boxed in or something to me. Small in the shoulders, just kind of ordinary to everyone else out there.

With his hops and quickness, who knows he might be great one day, but that to me is far off. And I wouldn't count on it.

Good NBA player yes. Next great one, no. Just from what I saw looking at him there. Just my opinion, but it was pretty clear to me anyway.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #8
BIZARRO
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbk123
Parker in no way showed he was one of the best on the floor tonight. Wiggins looked a lot better than him. Plus dat spin move to floater got damn.

And lol at barber a pass first point guard. He was the biggest ball hog on the court

No way. If you watched the game there, and in any way have observed basketball over your life, you would be crazy to think he wasn't one of top couple talents out there. The eye test live meant a lot here. You might even read that Wiggins was better as he scored more, etc. But it isn't true at all. Parker (who filled up the rest of the stat sheet with assists, boards, blocks, steals, etc.) and Gordon (who were really enjoying hanging with each other out there all night) looked a step above the competition in who they are as ballers.
In some ways, they looked like more fully developed college players playing with high schoolers at this stage in everyone's development.
If you're going by the fact that Parker missed some shots tonight, then you might not think that, etc.. But the polish of Parker, his strength, presence, etc. is why the West coach said he was the best, most complete player on his team in practices leading up to the game without hesitation.
Wiggins looks undercooked out there. Maybe on TV you couldn't catch it, but live Parker and Gordon are the two players who have the current juice.
Wiggins has a great spin sure, but he just looked smallish and young and underdeveloped to me. Maybe he'll be great one day, but Parker and Gordon were men amongst boys. They knew it to, the way they were joking around together the whole game with a lot of confidence. And when they were out there together, the West killed the East.

Even though it's one game, I'm trying to make clear I'm trying not to be going by one game, but rather what I saw in the games overall as winners, complete players, developed players.

Parker and Gordon are impressive, Wiggins is not as polished, or developed in a complete way yet.

Barber made some sick passes, and he really mixed it up well. Everyone was just trying to get theirs tonight, very few possessions had more than a pass or two. But Barber stuck out to me and my friends as the one guy who made some great efforts to get everyone involved, and was playing like a true balanced point. Sure he took/hit some shots, hence why I threw in the Jennings comparison, but with him in the game things had a lot of electricity and he brought his team back with his energy. He was very impressive in a way that can't be quantified other than by the eye test. Him, and on another level Parker and Gordon.

Just my opinion, but it was fairly obvious to my friends and I watching it there.

Last edited by BIZARRO : 04-04-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #9
noob cake
College star

While Wiggins is very polished and athletic (deserving his status as one of the best prospect within last 10 years), he looks like a raw African big compared to Parker.

Parker is like Kyrie Irving. He is not heaps more athletic than most NBA guards, but they have such advanced games at their age to make up for it.
noob cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #10
supe12sta12z
I hit open layups

Does Wiggins look timid on the court to anyone? Didn't look like he wanted the attention tonight.
supe12sta12z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #11
dbk123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZARRO
No way. If you watched the game there, and in any way have observed basketball over your life, you would be crazy to think he wasn't one of top couple talents out there. The eye test live meant a lot here. You might even read that Wiggins was better as he scored more, etc. But it isn't true at all. Parker (who filled up the rest of the stat sheet with assists, boards, blocks, steals, etc.) and Gordon (who were really enjoying hanging with each other out there all night) looked a step above the competition in who they are as ballers.
In some ways, they looked like more fully developed college players playing with high schoolers at this stage in everyone's development.
If you're going by the fact that Parker missed some shots tonight, then you might not think that, etc.. But the polish of Parker, his strength, presence, etc. is why the West coach said he was the best, most complete player on his team in practices leading up to the game without hesitation.
Wiggins looks undercooked out there. Maybe on TV you couldn't catch it, but live Parker and Gordon are the two players who have the current juice.
Wiggins has a great spin sure, but he just looked smallish and young and underdeveloped to me. Maybe he'll be great one day, but Parker and Gordon were men amongst boys. They knew it to, the way they were joking around together the whole game with a lot of confidence. And when they were out there together, the West killed the East.

Even though it's one game, I'm trying to make clear I'm trying not to be going by one game, but rather what I saw in the games overall as winners, complete players, developed players.

Parker and Gordon are impressive, Wiggins is not as polished, or developed in a complete way yet.

Barber made some sick passes, and he really mixed it up well. Everyone was just trying to get theirs tonight, very few possessions had more than a pass or two. But Barber stuck out to me and my friends as the one guy who made some great efforts to get everyone involved, and was playing like a true balanced point. Sure he took/hit some shots, hence why I threw in the Jennings comparison, but with him in the game things had a lot of electricity and he brought his team back with his energy. He was very impressive in a way that can't be quantified other than by the eye test. Him, and on another level Parker and Gordon.

Just my opinion, but it was fairly obvious to my friends and I watching it there.

dude i dont care what you saw in person. its obvious that parker is not all that. He scored 10 points on 4-13 shooting and had 3 turnovers to 3 assists.

I dont know how you can think parker is this so called "man among boys" compared to how wiggins played.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #12
sick_brah07
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob cake
While Wiggins is very polished and athletic (deserving his status as one of the best prospect within last 10 years), he looks like a raw African big compared to Parker.

Parker is like Kyrie Irving. He is not heaps more athletic than most NBA guards, but they have such advanced games at their age to make up for it.

exactly what i thought

like i said in the wiggins thread theres just something about him that is lacking i dont know what and i hope i am wrong but it just seems like he is missing something that makes him feared on the court (although i like the fact that he said he wants to be the best payer in the world)

jabari on the other hand if he gets drafted to a team where the ball is in his hands i think he will be a great pro

i have no idea about any of the other prospects have not watched enough to really even comment ive just seen mixtapes
sick_brah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #13
sick_brah07
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbk123
dude i dont care what you saw in person. its obvious that parker is not all that. He scored 10 points on 4-13 shooting and had 3 turnovers to 3 assists.

I dont know how you can think parker is this so called "man among boys" compared to how wiggins played.

not trying to be a smart ass did you watch the whole game?

i didnt so i cant really comment but im hjust curious as to wether or not your just reading stats
sick_brah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #14
Kingwillball
3-time NBA All-Star

Looking at Wiggens Highlight she can JUmp no doubt but it is an insult to compare him to Lebron at this stage. I wrote that in the Gm thread as Lebron Looked like and Played like a man amongst boys. Dont see how anyone can think he is the best prospect since Lebron and I agree there is a good chance the two U mentioned could be better. The kid Randle was injured most of the season so he is just getting his gm back but he could be a force and he plus the twins will be KU's best players out of the 6.
Kingwillball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #15
dbk123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick_brah07
not trying to be a smart ass did you watch the whole game?

i didnt so i cant really comment but im hjust curious as to wether or not your just reading stats
yea i watched it. thats why i think op was smoking fukking crack when he says cat barber is a pass first point guard. Dude would literally take 2-3 possessions for himself and only pass when trying to bail himself out. And i think jabari is overrated too. The only good play i remember from him was his block on wiggins in the first minute and a dunk later on.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: