Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Default Mad Science question

Well, this is more along the lines of a Science Fiction question, but I'm hoping the Science nerds on the forum can prove me wrong or explain the absolute possibility.

It is the year 2013, correct? We are able to clone animals, determine the sex of our child whilst in the womb, land on Mars, cure otherwise incurable diseases, perform all sorts of transplants, and in some cases slow down to almost a halt the process of aging just to name a few.

Most of us live into our 70's or 80's and our flesh (mostly made up of water) evaporates and disintegrates and all we are left with is bones or ash, depending how you choose to go.

There is no denial that Science improves by leaps and bounds every year and almost every day. So here's my Science Fiction question that could possibly not be fiction at all unless otherwise proven....

Somewhere down the line, could those who have perished be revived by Science? Meaning, all that's left of us is bone and ash, but could science regenerate what was lost: Flesh, organs, consciousness, memories, feelings, emotions? Could be wake up one day, years and years after we have died and ask the questions, "Where am I?" "What year is it?"

Last edited by Patrick Chewing : 04-02-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Budadiiii
Banned

Default Re: Mad Science question

Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Nanners
College star

science questions from the guy who is constantly denying climate change?

you cant just pick and choose which parts of science to believe/follow and reject the parts that are not convenient for you, its not like the bible.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
science questions from the guy who is constantly denying climate change?

I thought it was Global Warming?? LOL. Of course there is climate change. But this acceleration of warming and cooling that you guys talk about is all a myth. You guys just pick and choose what facts you want to talk about and what facts you want to leave out. Don't see how this argument has to do with my question.

So what are your thoughts?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia

Nope. Man will Never be able to revive life in that manner.
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator
Nope. Man will Never be able to revive life in that manner.
It's completely possible.. Once we figure out how to control/manipulate DNA at a high level. It contains everything.. Aging, development, tendencies. In 50 years they'll be able to put a strain of your code into a machine and rearrange it to fix whatever problem you have.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
I thought it was Global Warming?? LOL. Of course there is climate change. But this acceleration of warming and cooling that you guys talk about is all a myth. You guys just pick and choose what facts you want to talk about and what facts you want to leave out. Don't see how this argument has to do with my question.

So what are your thoughts?

You are so terribly wrong and got so terribly shredded in the thread that you should never even speak the words science, climate change, or global warming.

Anyway, we will be able to clone a human perfectly but you can't clone and recreate the consciousness which was a function of their experience. Nothing like that is on the horizon. Maybe in the future we can extract all thing "personality" and re-inject it, but that's light years away.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

not once the mind is dead.

A better question would be, would it be possible to revive someone later if we freeze them before their brain died?

I would say possibly.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Anyway, we will be able to clone a human perfectly but you can't clone and recreate the consciousness which was a function of their experience. Nothing like that is on the horizon. Maybe in the future we can extract all thing "personality" and re-inject it, but that's light years away.

So the more realistic approach is human cloning - makes sense. A second birth.
What if personality and memories are embedded in our DNA? If so, then DNA manipulation is right around the corner as others speculate.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
not once the mind is dead.

A better question would be, would it be possible to revive someone later if we freeze them before their brain died?

I would say possibly.

there is this documentary you can find online about the company in arizona that does this, i think the company name is called Alcor.

Anyways this doc is called "death in the deep freeze" or something to that effect.

I think something like that could be theoretically possible, but the teams that do this work have 0 medical experience outside of one surgeon. as of now its all just kinda pseudoscience at this point.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
So the more realistic approach is human cloning - makes sense. A second birth.
What if personality and memories are embedded in our DNA? If so, then DNA manipulation is right around the corner as others speculate.

They're not.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
They're not.

Some personality traits can be linked to our DNA, but the rest of it is still a mystery.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
...but could science regenerate what was lost: Flesh, organs, consciousness, memories, feelings, emotions? Could be wake up one day, years and years after we have died and ask the questions, "Where am I?" "What year is it?"
first of all, for what purpose?

second, isn't this stuff that you yourself should be working on right here, right now? (science fiction, my ass)
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Nanners
College star

Quote:

The correct term is climate change, not global warming.

Climate scientists do not "pick and choose" what "facts" they want to talk about any more than any other scientist in any other field.

If you are going to be skeptical of climate science, you had better be skeptical of basic chemistry, physics and biology as well.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Some personality traits can be linked to our DNA, but the rest of it is still a mystery.

Some personality traits are framed by your DNA but the personality you actually end up with is not.

This is a question that takes about 1 minute to conclude.

No we will not. We could clone a person if DNA remains, but that same person that died will not live again like they woke up.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: