Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #31
PullupJay
This Digital Ghost

PullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Living in the mid-90's > any era

I agree with you 110% percent bro. 90's was the best.
PullupJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #32
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation

The dominance of No Limit Records

Time after Time
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #33
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

94-96 were probably the best years of my life. I got introduced to Cable TV, MTV, Started high school, hung out with cool friends, played basketball after school for hours, rode bike to friend's house, started driving.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #34
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rQZee4mkww

the anthem... the Plateau in Philly

met my wife.. the sun was shining..

love and stogies for everyone
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #35
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
I think so. People confuse novel experiences with things being better. When you are young everything is new, so everything is awesome. Once you experience everything for the 1000th time it becomes dull and unoriginal - therefore "the 90s were awesome" is really "the 90s is where I experienced everything for the first time."

Maybe, but there's no denying that certain things in the 90s were better, especially the middle of the decade, even at a macro/general level. The economy was booming, we weren't in any prolonged foreign military conflicts overseas, pop culture seemed to have more integrity. Now we're still recovering from a deep recession, we lived under the fear of terrorism post 9/11, and we're in a wasteland culturally. Can't fault people for looking back fondly when the quality of life was better then than it is now.

Quote:
Gott'a stop ya there. This era the 00s and 10s era have the best collection of shows ever on TV. The worst too, but the best TV shows in this era are amazing.

Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Walking Dead, Spartacus, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire.

The cartoon shows in the 90s and early 00s were better tho. Tho there are some gems in this era too.

I actually agree with this point. TV is experiencing a strange dichotomy- it's simultaneously experiencing a golden age in cable while everything else seems to be reality TV garbage. I feel like HBO ushered in a renaissance on cable starting in the mid-late 90s that is being replicated by other networks trying to follow their model (AMC, FX, Show, etc) but at the same time the networks and other channels are going for the lowest common denominator... and even lower (VH1, you've lost your way ).
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #36
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Horde of Temujin has decent reputation

I miss those days as well. You just brought a tear to my eye Hateraid. Thank you.
Horde of Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #37
joe
College superstar

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Growing up in the 90's was amazing. I admit that a large chunk of that was just being a kid, but I think the 90's themselves played into it. There was awesome new technology, but not enough that we never went outside and played. My little cousins today just play Call of Duty all day, every day. I played the shit out of "Turtles in Time" for the SNES, but we also played Ninja Turtles outside, jumping around, fighting invisible enemies. So it was a great mix of both worlds. There was a proper fear of strangers.. not over the top like it is today. Plus, as a huge horror fan, I had all the 80's classics right there in the video store. Jason, Freddy, The Shining.

I also liked the attitude towards parenting in those days. Maybe this occurred before the 90's, but I like that parents weren't as abusive and strict. Some say that just allows kids to act out, but I was never like that. My parents being a little looser just let me be creative and my own individual. From the stories I hear, growing up in the 50's or whatever would have just been so confining. "DON'T DO THIS, DON'T DO THAT.. OR I'LL SMACK YA.. SEE!" Uck.

Also, there was still a lot of morals in the kids TV shows. Boy Meets World, Hey Arnold, Doug, Rugrats.. all send out great messages to kids. I've seen the shows my little cousins/nieces/nephews watch today, and it's a little disturbing. The characters seem dumb, and not just dumb.. but happy to be dumb. Delightfully dumb.

Not to mention... South Park. Experiencing South Park as an adult was probably cool, but experiencing it as a KID??? Mind blower. Funniest, most awesome, talked about thing amidst every kid I knew. And I do recognize the irony of this paragraph following my previous one. But oh well. South Park had some good morals in it too, if you can get past all the cursing.

Last edited by joe : 04-04-2013 at 04:15 AM.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #38
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man

You haven't changed mentally from your teens to 30s?

Not drastically. I've learned life's lessons on the way, but my mindset and appraoch to life is still the same now as when I was 18
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #39
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micku
Gott'a stop ya there. This era the 00s and 10s era have the best collection of shows ever on TV. The worst too, but the best TV shows in this era are amazing.

Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Walking Dead, Spartacus, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire.

The cartoon shows in the 90s and early 00s were better tho. Tho there are some gems in this era too.

I'm a fan of a couple of those shows, but I'm talking about the overall experience with TV programming. It was relatable television where every night you had a programming line-up you can commit to. TV back then had more depth in program variety.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #40
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Seinfeld!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #41
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This thread is so wrong.

I'd rather live in today's era… .why?

Because you have today's technology. You can always go back and revisit any of the shit you loved from the past eras. Naturally, some things can't be relived because times themselves change. But nostalgic feelings aside, today is better in different ways.

Naturally, music and shit like that can't be compared to what we had in the 90s, but other shit has improved.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #42
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
This thread is so wrong.

I'd rather live in today's era… .why?

Because you have today's technology. You can always go back and revisit any of the shit you loved from the past eras. Naturally, some things can't be relived because times themselves change. But nostalgic feelings aside, today is better in different ways.

Naturally, music and shit like that can't be compared to what we had in the 90s, but other shit has improved.

On the same token modern technology has made us regress as people. I've pointed out today's technology has taken our ability to communicate face to face. Our advancement in technology has also made our workload a whole lot heavier thus cutting into friends and family time.
IMO, modern technology has made us less human
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #43
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Go churn some butter amish bitch.

Technology makes life better and easier.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #44
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
On the same token modern technology has made us regress as people. I've pointed out today's technology has taken our ability to communicate face to face. Our advancement in technology has also made our workload a whole lot heavier thus cutting into friends and family time.
IMO, modern technology has made us less human

Oh stop the pseudo humanistic nonsense. Without technology we wouldn't be here.

Technology has made life easier for all of us. If technology cuts into your friends and family time, then there's other issues behind that one needs to reexamine.

I can still listen to old school 90s hip hop mix tapes, while I watch WWF while I download an NZB file, I can do all of this while I video chat with my wife that lives in Canada on either her tablet or cell.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #45
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Don't get me wrong.

I consider the 90s the modern day renaissance era. But it doesn't necessarily mean that we've regressed tremendously since then. Some things have become sucky (mainly music), but others have improved (tv shows, movies).

Society has changed as well.

Sure we can talk shit about people hiding behind technology, but for every negative aspect you can think of regarding technology, there's hundreds of examples in which it has helped improve our lives.

The options we have due to technology have multiplied. This is GOOD, not bad. By options I mean on just about anything and everything.

If you still wanna concentrate on how it affects us as a society, think about how modern medicine has advanced. How we have tools that help autistic, the blind and deaf, handicapped etc.etc.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: