Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Default Mark Cuban may draft Britney Griner

Quote:
Billionaire and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban says he's willing to draft college basketball superstar Brittney Griner to the National Basketball Association (NBA).

While speaking with ESPN, Cuban said he might draft Griner for his Dallas Mavericks if given the chance.

"If she is the best on the board, I will take her," he told ESPN before the Mavericks played the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday night. "I've thought about it. I've thought about it already. Would I do it? Right now, I'd lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know unless you give somebody a chance, and it's not like the likelihood of any late-50s draft pick has a good chance of making it."

If he doesn't get to select her during the draft, he will offer her a shot to try out for Dallas' summer team. "She'd still have to make the team. I'm not going to carry her just to carry her. I don't think, anyways. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to giving her the opportunity," he said. Adding, "That'd sell out a few games."

The offer got the attention of the 6-foot-8-inch All-American.

Yahoo! Sports reporter Kelly Dwyer notes that there is at least one major roadblock: Griner is likely to be drafted by the Phoenix Mercury, which has first pick in the WNBA draft on April 15.

Dwyer also took issue with Cuban's proposition.

"Brittney Griner has the potential to be a franchise-leading, league-dominating superstar in the WNBA," he writes. "She’s not a gimmick to be gawked at and over-scrutinized by the collection of NBA executives and bored NBA freaks who watch the Summer League every year."

Griner's star is no doubt bright. The 22-year-old led Baylor's Lady Bears secure a 42-game winning streak in November. She has scored 3,203 points and blocked 736 shots.

If Griner does try out for the NBA, she wouldn't be the first female to do so. Ann Meyers was the first female to sign a free-agent contract with an NBA team when she signed with the Indiana Pacers in 1979, though she did not make the team and was released.

Mark Cuban considering drafting Brittney Griner

Umm.. No. She wouldn't be able to hold her own. I'm not sexist (I love women!), but odds are she'd become a running joke (literally) in the NBA, probably not even being able to average 2 ppg.
I'm highly doubtful of her being able to play in the NBA among men who may be around the same height as her, but definitely bigger in size. She'd get backed down deep into the post by everyone, and yes, I'm counting small guys like Isaiah Thomas and Nate Robinson, too.

What do you guys think?
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
CelticBaller
You mad?

Default Re: Mark Cuban may draft Britney Griner

I'd love see it happening
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

the Pacers actually signed a female?

wtf, never knew...

Cuban is just trying to get attention here...she has no chance of making the NBA
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

She would get destroyed in the D-League. There is no chance she could play in the NBA.
Sarcastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
She would get destroyed in the D-League. There is no chance she could play in the NBA.

This.

I doubt there's a WNBA team that could dominate against a good high school basketball team. The boys will forever be bigger, faster, stronger... and hey, let's face it, better.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
DuMa
Canned

why the hell is this still a story? this aint never gonna happen
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
SilkkTheShocker
Curry: 0x Finals MVP

What is with Cuban and all this gimmick crap? The guy owns a legit NBA franchise.. No idea why he feels the need to say this shit. Teams like the Kings should be the ones pulling this stuff.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
KyrieTheFuture
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
This.

I doubt there's a WNBA team that could dominate against a good high school basketball team. The boys will forever be bigger, faster, stronger... and hey, let's face it, better.
This is so hilariously false
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

You take any 12th man off any NBA team's roster and put that guy on a WNBA team, I bet he'll be the best player in the WNBA, averaging Oscar Robertson-like numbers, dropping Wilt Chamberlain-like points, blocking shots like a prime Bill Russell, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
This is so hilariously false

Okay, maybe I exaggerated, but you get the idea. A woman wouldn't be able to handle her own in a man's league. The men would overpower her every time.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
DirkNowitzki41
#MFFL

cuban just wants attention. realized he is becoming irrelevant after ****ing up the mavs
DirkNowitzki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Mr. I'm So Rad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
You take any 12th man off any NBA team's roster and put that guy on a WNBA team, I bet he'll be the best player in the WNBA, averaging Oscar Robertson-like numbers, dropping Wilt Chamberlain-like points, blocking shots like a prime Bill Russell, etc.

So basically WNBA = Euroleague?
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
SilkkTheShocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki41
cuban just wants attention. realized he is becoming irrelevant after ****ing up the mavs

I hear ya, but he should really just chill. He doesn't need to be saying this stuff. Its not like he needs to put asses in the seats. Save the gimmick stuff for Charlotte, Sacramento, etc.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
LikeABosh
Trump Towers

Britney Griner is like Shaq in Womens basketball, expect in the NBA she would be very under sized for her position and weak as hell. She would get bullied by guards
LikeABosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Foster5k
NBA lottery pick

So can guys join the WNBA?
Foster5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
SilkkTheShocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster5k

So can guys join the WNBA?

I would easily start for a WNBA team. Women are that much weaker than men in terms of physical strength. Not to mention they have absolutely no lateral quickness to keep up with a men. Any average athlete would drive past them like they weren't even there. I would easily be a 10ppg scorer.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: