Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
riseagainst
Lebron fan

riseagainst is starting to rub some people the wrong wayriseagainst is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default The misconception of A.I. in 2001

Just my thoughts:
The misconception about AI is that people actually think he carried a team to the Finals when, in reality, he had the best supporting cast for a player of his caliber and style, that cast was ELITE defensively and carried him on that end of the court while he carried the mediocre offense. 2001 76ers ranked 5th in defense, 13th in offense.

That talent amounted to the best in the East but I admit AI makes them the best. Not to mention one of my favorite coaches, and one of the best coaches of all time in Larry Brown.

DPOY, 6MOY, COY, MVP.

The team was far from mediocre, and A.I. did not carry the team. I'll just be more gentle and say that no one carried no one. The team worked wonders under the directions of Larry Brown.
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: The misconception of A.I. in 2001

basketball is a team game? holy ****, where did you get this information?!?!!?
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
riseagainst
Lebron fan

riseagainst is starting to rub some people the wrong wayriseagainst is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
basketball is a team game? holy ****, where did you get this information?!?!!?

relax. This is for all those people who always say, so and so "carried a bunch of scrubs to the finals."
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If you take him off that team, they would probably struggle to win 30. They had no other go to scorers.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Legends66NBA7
Apex

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainst
relax. This is for all those people who always say, so and so "carried a bunch of scrubs to the finals."

Yeah, it's not like they didn't play great when Iverson was having an off game or something.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He did have a cast that complemented his unique style very well. They were the best rebounding team and imo, the best overall defensive team, but they weren't the perfect team to put around him because of the complete lack of shooters. With that being said, they did a good job building around him, and he did a very good job of carrying the offense and doing exactly what that team expected and demanded of him.

But the scrub thing is ridiculous. Nobody carries scrubs to the finals, and scrubs don't rebound and defend at an elite level.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Jolokia
Serious playground baller

Jolokia has decent reputationJolokia has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
If you take him off that team, they would probably struggle to win 30. They had no other go to scorers.
What if you replaced him with a Michael Finley/Jerry Stackhouse type player?

Finley being a 20/5/5 player
And I think that was Stackhouse's 30/5/5 year
(stats from memory so it might be wrong)
Jolokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

The team was far from mediocre

By the standards of teams to do what they did...they are far below mediocre.

People keep trying to rewrite history on that team acting like guys in no way of note were somehow special because of what they were able to do. Posting sixth man of the year as if that makes Aaron Mckie some really good player. Hes at best the 3rd worst player to ever win it. If you look at who else has won it....im not sure he wouldnt make every single team worse if traded for the 6th man of the year...of that season. Maybe not the Suns when Rodney Rogers won it...but that would be close.

They were scrappy...and thats about it. They were on like a 59 win pace when they had Theo Ratliff before Mutombo. Thats how Brown was the all star coach Mutombo so impressed. AI was leading a team whos second best player was Theo Ratliff...to a near 60 win pace.

That they played D and rebounded does not mean he wasnt...by a mile...the main reason they were a good team. That they won some games without him(not many) doesnt either. Fact is....you hold a draft and can take every player to ever play a finals game....I bet you get a hell of a lot of rounds in before you see Eric Snow, Mckie, Lynch, Tyrone, and company go.

People often act like chemisty is talent. It isnt. They had a great run together. Played hard....and leaned on AI as much as any team ever leaned on one player.

They were Allen Iverson, Mutombo, and a gang of straight up role players playing hard. I wouldnt trade Joakim Noah for the entire non AI/Mutombo 2001 76ers lineup.

Brown deserves credit. All coaches do. But AI did his thing and flat out drug that team kicking and screaming into history. And nobody said anything different watching it happen. That wasnt some great team. It wasnt a very good team either. It was...ok. By the standards of teams to do what they did...they were awful.

They played together well to be more than the sum of their parts.

But the parts were nothing of note.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
MastaKilla
Serious playground baller

MastaKilla is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
By the standards of teams to do what they did...they are far below mediocre.

People keep trying to rewrite history on that team acting like guys in no way of note were somehow special because of what they were able to do. Posting sixth man of the year as if that makes Aaron Mckie some really good player. Hes at best the 3rd worst player to ever win it. If you look at who else has won it....im not sure he wouldnt make every single team worse if traded for the 6th man of the year...of that season. Maybe not the Suns when Rodney Rogers won it...but that would be close.

They were scrappy...and thats about it. They were on like a 59 win pace when they had Theo Ratliff before Mutombo. Thats how Brown was the all star coach Mutombo so impressed. AI was leading a team whos second best player was Theo Ratliff...to a near 60 win pace.

That they played D and rebounded does not mean he wasnt...by a mile...the main reason they were a good team. That they won some games without him(not many) doesnt either. Fact is....you hold a draft and can take every player to ever play a finals game....I bet you get a hell of a lot of rounds in before you see Eric Snow, Mckie, Lynch, Tyrone, and company go.

People often act like chemisty is talent. It isnt. They had a great run together. Played hard....and leaned on AI as much as any team ever leaned on one player.

They were Allen Iverson, Mutombo, and a gang of straight up role players playing hard. I wouldnt trade Joakim Noah for the entire non AI/Mutombo 2001 76ers lineup.

Brown deserves credit. All coaches do. But AI did his thing and flat out drug that team kicking and screaming into history. And nobody said anything different watching it happen. That wasnt some great team. It wasnt a very good team either. It was...ok. By the standards of teams to do what they did...they were awful.

They played together well to be more than the sum of their parts.

But the parts were nothing of note.

i don't always agree with you, although you present your arguments very well..

however you are spot on in this post right here
MastaKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
baller562
I airball my layups

baller562 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolokia

A.I was the heart and soul of that team... I'm gonna say straight up from memory too... Stackhouse NEVER averaged 30/5/5... you got to be kidding!
baller562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
willds09
Banned

willds09 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrywillds09 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrywillds09 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
I agreed end thread please
willds09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
willds09
Banned

willds09 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrywillds09 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrywillds09 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolokia

They wasnt about that life like a.i
willds09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How about they played in the JV Eastern Conference at the time as well.

The Juggernauts where all out West.
Back then the real Finals was the WCF.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Watching Eric Snow miss wide open midrange jumpers over and over.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
jlip
Good college starter

jlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller562
A.I was the heart and soul of that team... I'm gonna say straight up from memory too... Stackhouse NEVER averaged 30/5/5... you got to be kidding!

You're technically correct about Stackhouse. His averages in '01 were ~30/4/5.
jlip is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: