Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #31
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 9,333
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsGame
When Melo scores 30+ on 60% 6 times in a row and leads his team to 27-straight as well as leading in Assists and Rebounds, then we'll talk.


Melo doesn't have Bosh or Wade. Hell, Melo doesn't even have Amar'e.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #32
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,845
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Melo doesn't have Bosh or Wade. Hell, Melo doesn't even have Amar'e.

I wonder how things would have turned out if the whole New York big 3 was actually put together
longtime lurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #33
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: #KnicksTank
Posts: 22,669
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSeba5
Why exactly?


You tell me. Why are Lebron diik riders in every Knick/Melo thread?
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #34
Just2McFly
By Any Means
 
Just2McFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,592
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/?ls=iref:nbahpt6e


Agree 100%. All the starting five was injured at on point or another, sometimes at the same time, on top of that bench got injured as well.

Knicks would probably be a 60 wins team, and if Melo didn't had the knee problem he would have notched a couple more 40 points games, and he isn't on a stacked team that dominate the spurs with the bench.

It would be Player leading his team Vs Player cherry picking thanks to his team.

All these what ifs are hilarious. Please, every team has negatives and injuries to overcome. It happens sadly.
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #35
jimmy77x
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,722
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2McFly
All these what ifs are hilarious. Please, every team has negatives and injuries to overcome. It happens sadly.

Yeah every team but the HGH infested Heat have had major injuries.
jimmy77x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #36
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro
 
Y2Gezee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In hell when Im on ISH
Posts: 4,621
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

I think we all know what I think.

I think they're the best team in the league when fully healthy. But that would require Amare, well basically playing like he did before his 2nd surgery this season. And they were starting to figure it all out before Amare went down and before Kenyon became a factor.

Funny thing is, the injuries just piled on, then everyone was trying to work their way back into shape during the easiest parts of the schedule. December-February was really an easy schedule for them, and they just stayed afloat.

That's why I refuse to say that the Heat have a clearpath to the title, nevermind the finals. The records in the East are all misleading. I think the top maybe 9-10 (and those top 10 aren't exactly what teh standings show now) in the East could truly compete with the top 9-10 in the West all around. If Rose can return, that could change a lot in the playoff picture. The opening playoff weekend marks 6 weeks since Amare's surgery. KG will be back for the Cs. Too bad about what happened with Granger, because who knows how good that team really is.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #37
BlackVVaves
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,979
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
I think we all know what I think.

I think they're the best team in the league when fully healthy. But that would require Amare, well basically playing like he did before his 2nd surgery this season. And they were starting to figure it all out before Amare went down and before Kenyon became a factor.

Funny thing is, the injuries just piled on, then everyone was trying to work their way back into shape during the easiest parts of the schedule. December-February was really an easy schedule for them, and they just stayed afloat.

That's why I refuse to say that the Heat have a clearpath to the title, nevermind the finals. The records in the East are all misleading. I think the top maybe 9-10 (and those top 10 aren't exactly what teh standings show now) in the East could truly compete with the top 9-10 in the West all around. If Rose can return, that could change a lot in the playoff picture. The opening playoff weekend marks 6 weeks since Amare's surgery. KG will be back for the Cs. Too bad about what happened with Granger, because who knows how good that team really is.

The Knicks in the beginning of the season was Top 2 in the East. The Knicks at the end of this season are a Top 2 team in the East. The Knicks, despite Amare's proficient play, was a .500 team in between those two stakes in the ground, correlating to Amare's return to the active roster.

So you saying the Knicks are the best team in the league (not even East, but LEAGUE) with a healthy Amare is.....yeah.

They are at their best when they stretch the floor, dribble penetrate and kick out to the man behind the arc, shoot the 3 at a high rate, and get out and defend. All things Amare's presence on the floor negated for them - again, despite his efficiency and solid play individually.

And living in New York, I watch the Knicks, so I know what I see. They play better without Amare, and just have a defensive big replace him (whether Sheed or K-Mart), placing Melo at the 4.

But they should find a way to get more out of Jason Kidd. Putting him at the 2 is borderline moronic really. He and Nash, two great inherent playmakers, have turned into spot of shooters overnight.

Anyway, to the OP. If the Knicks were the best team in the East, Melo would probably have a shot. But after that 27 game win streak, it's pretty obvious that he would have had to have himself the season of his life to beat out Bron for it.

Last edited by BlackVVaves : 04-06-2013 at 04:54 PM.
BlackVVaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #38
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
I think we all know what I think.

I think they're the best team in the league when fully healthy. But that would require Amare, well basically playing like he did before his 2nd surgery this season. And they were starting to figure it all out before Amare went down and before Kenyon became a factor.

Funny thing is, the injuries just piled on, then everyone was trying to work their way back into shape during the easiest parts of the schedule. December-February was really an easy schedule for them, and they just stayed afloat.

That's why I refuse to say that the Heat have a clearpath to the title, nevermind the finals. The records in the East are all misleading. I think the top maybe 9-10 (and those top 10 aren't exactly what teh standings show now) in the East could truly compete with the top 9-10 in the West all around. If Rose can return, that could change a lot in the playoff picture. The opening playoff weekend marks 6 weeks since Amare's surgery. KG will be back for the Cs. Too bad about what happened with Granger, because who knows how good that team really is.
Even a fully healthy Knicks team definitely isn't better than the Heat, and probably not the Thunder, a fully healthy Spurs team, the Grizzlies, or a fully healthy Nuggets team.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #39
BrickingStar
Banned
 
BrickingStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,214
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
I think we all know what I think.

I think they're the best team in the league when fully healthy. But that would require Amare, well basically playing like he did before his 2nd surgery this season. And they were starting to figure it all out before Amare went down and before Kenyon became a factor.

Funny thing is, the injuries just piled on, then everyone was trying to work their way back into shape during the easiest parts of the schedule. December-February was really an easy schedule for them, and they just stayed afloat.

That's why I refuse to say that the Heat have a clearpath to the title, nevermind the finals. The records in the East are all misleading. I think the top maybe 9-10 (and those top 10 aren't exactly what teh standings show now) in the East could truly compete with the top 9-10 in the West all around. If Rose can return, that could change a lot in the playoff picture. The opening playoff weekend marks 6 weeks since Amare's surgery. KG will be back for the Cs. Too bad about what happened with Granger, because who knows how good that team really is.
No one except knicks homers actually think they would be the best team in the NBA. Please do better job at removing those homer glasses when making those piece of shit assumptions
BrickingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #40
Just2McFly
By Any Means
 
Just2McFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,592
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Another interesting what if scenario: What if the Hawks didn't lose Louis Williams to an acl tear? Do you see them being a top three seed if he stayed healthy?
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #41
che guevara
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,258
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Melo's managed to play 70+ games just once in the last 5 years. It should come as a surprise to nobody that he got hurt and missed a bunch of games again this season.
che guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #42
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick
 
Blue&Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,897
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
The Knicks in the beginning of the season was Top 2 in the East. The Knicks at the end of this season are a Top 2 team in the East. The Knicks, despite Amare's proficient play, was a .500 team in between those two stakes in the ground, correlating to Amare's return to the active roster.

So you saying the Knicks are the best team in the league (not even East, but LEAGUE) with a healthy Amare is.....yeah.

They are at their best when they stretch the floor, dribble penetrate and kick out to the man behind the arc, shoot the 3 at a high rate, and get out and defend. All things Amare's presence on the floor negated for them - again, despite his efficiency and solid play individually.

And living in New York, I watch the Knicks, so I know what I see. They play better without Amare, and just have a defensive big replace him (whether Sheed or K-Mart), placing Melo at the 4.

But they should find a way to get more out of Jason Kidd. Putting him at the 2 is borderline moronic really. He and Nash, two great inherent playmakers, have turned into spot of shooters overnight.

Anyway, to the OP. If the Knicks were the best team in the East, Melo would probably have a shot. But after that 27 game win streak, it's pretty obvious that he would have had to have himself the season of his life to beat out Bron for it.
Right

Just like last year, Knicks had a cupcake schedule during the Linsanity, and then when Melo returned, harder schedule+injuries and all the sudden Knicks were better without him and he was a cancer.


If it wasn't Amare, Knicks slump would have been worse.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #43
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro
 
Y2Gezee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In hell when Im on ISH
Posts: 4,621
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
The Knicks in the beginning of the season was Top 2 in the East. The Knicks at the end of this season are a Top 2 team on the East. The Knicks, despite Amare's proficient play, was a .500 team in between those two stakes in the ground, correlating to Amare's return to the active roster.

So you saying the Knicks are the best team in the league (not even East, but LEAGUE) with a healthy Amare is.....yeah.

That are at their best when the stretch the floor, dribble penetrate and kick out to the man behind the arc, shoot the 3 at a high rate, and get out and defend. All things Amare's presence on the floor negated for them - again, despite his efficiency and solid play individually.

And living in New York, I watch the Knicks, so I know what I see. They play better without Amare, and just have a defensive big replace him (whether Sheed or K-Mart), placing Melo at the 4.

But they should find a way to get more out of Jason Kidd. Putting him at the 2 is borderline moronic really. He and Nash, two great inherent playmakers, have turned into spot of shooters overnight.

Anyway, to the OP. If the Knicks were the best team in the East, Melo would probably have a shot. But after that 27 game win streak, it's pretty obvious that he would have had to have himself the season of his life to beat out Bron for it.

To say that the Knicks inconsistent play during that stretch was Amare's fault is just not true. It began before Amare even returned, because of injuries to Melo and Felton and of course the loss of Rasheed as their backup defensive big. Kidd played too much without Felton and broke down because he's 40. Iman returned and took until March to start really getting into shape (still playing limited minutes). The 3s stopped falling as Kidd, Iman, and then starter James White/Brewer weren't shooting well, but most of all until Shumpert got healthy in March the perimeter D was garbage for about a month and a half...in fact since the day Felton returned.

All Amare did was help their rebounding rate, and provide a 2nd consistent scorer so Melo didn't have to play so much. The problem was the idea was for him to play next to a guy like Sheed or Camby or Tyson off the bench so that he wouldn't be relied on to defend the rim while playing next to Novak as his PF, and that never happened. Now with Kmart as the Tyson type player off the bench and Amare basically giving you another Melo in the post drawing doubles and passing out....you have a crazy bench with JR Smith too.

Truth is it was the starting lineups hurting the Knicks, and Amare often times was helping right the ship and people wanted him starting, but that never happened. They were always playing small and struggling. they were playing better in March, had a 3 game streak where the defense was better going into the Heat game which they nearly won. Had a 22pt comeback without Melo and fueled by Amare, nearly beat the Thunder without Melo because of Amare and JR.

The Knicks have no shot of beating a team like the Heat without a reliable 2nd option like Amare. Especially this guy who is willing to play lesser minutes and fit within the team. With him and Melo and the team shooting well off of great pick and roll play.... I think they have more weapons than teams can defend and they're defending well too.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #44
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro
 
Y2Gezee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In hell when Im on ISH
Posts: 4,621
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

I might add, how can people say Amare and Melo don't fit considering Melo can dominate from the perimeter the way that he has proven all year, and Amare was one of the best low post scorers in the league while he was playing, and not to mention one of the 2 best pick and roll players of all time.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #45
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 23,200
Default Re: NBA.com "Melo's Recent Run Creates 'What Ifs"

There's no amount of mental gymnastics to create some twisted criteria where Melo is the MVP. Sorry. Hes not even #2 in any scenario. Even if you take LeBron out of the equation, there's no rationale for Melo being league MVP.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy