Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputation
Default Kevin Durant admits he doesn't like chucking heaves

Quote:
During the 1990s, I noticed a curious trend that All-Star guard Tim Hardaway seemed to be at the forefront of. No, it wasnít his use of the crossover or inside-out dribble to dash past defenders. It was the way he treated last-second, buzzer-beating three-pointers. Not close shots at the end of a game or shot clock, but half-courters at the end of each of the first three quarters. He seemed to be purposely letting the ball go just a half-second after the buzzer went off, presumably in order to shield his shooting percentage from the one-in-100 shot he was attempting. If the shot missed, no harm all around. If it went in? Then the crowd would go nuts and heíd get a few slaps on the back, even if he wouldnít earn three points for the scoreboard.

NBA players have been working this way for years, not exclusively, but itís not uncommon to see players holding off on taking those bombs. And until today Iíd never heard anyone cop to it. Not until the NBA player that most deserves to cop to it Ė the legendarily efficient MVP candidate, Kevin Durant Ė told Daily Thunderís Royce Young that, no, heís not going to take that shot if his shooting percentages on the night arenít up to his drool-worthy snuff.

How do Thunder players feel about the halfcourt heave? Should it be counted as an attempt? And do they pull the just-after-the-buzzer move? I asked some of them.

Kevin Durant:
ďIt depends on what Iím shooting from the field. First quarter if Iím 4-for-4, I let it go. Third quarter if Iím like 10-for-16, or 10-for-17, I might let it go. But if Iím like 8-for-19, Iím going to go ahead and dribble one more second and let that buzzer go off and then throw it up there. So it depends on how the gameís going.Ē

Russell Westbrook: ďNo. Nope Ö If I was considering about [statistics] Iíd do a lot of shit different.Ē

Thabo Sefolosha: ďPersonally if I have it, I shoot it. Iíve seen players not shoot it at all, or seen players shoot it late. Iíve seen that before Ö [Brooks] did, he mentioned it. In the team, most of us, I think we take the shot. But you see players that donít do it Ö You gotta count it [as a shot]. You gotta count it. Itís a shot. But who cares really. I donít care about that kind of stuff. One more shot, make or miss, is not going to break or make me, so I shoot it.Ē

Eric Maynor: ďI know people that do that, but I ainít doing that. Iím trying to make it. But Iíve seen people do that a lot. Trying to act like they got the shot up but really know that ball didnít get released. But you see it a lot in this league Ö Itís a shot. Itís a shot. If somebody shoot it, if you let it go, thatís a shot attempt so you canít say that.Ē

Kendrick Perkins: ďYeah so they donít mess up they field goal percentage. Absolutely Ö Nah, I donít care, but I noticed it before. I notice that, yeah Ö I remember in Boston someone used to do it, I think Eddie House used to do it. Because he was trying to break the single season on 3-point percentage Ö I donít know, but you never know at the end of the game what the score is gonna be so you should try everything that you can.Ē

Kevin Martin: ďYes, Iíve noticed it a lot. For myself? I like to be considered an efficient scorer, so I think thatíll answer your question on how I approach that shot Ö [Brooks] said something about if no one wants to shoot it, go up and grab it. Donít be the person to grab it and wait. And then I think Eric Maynor hit a shot or Russ hit a shot Ö If they changed that rule [to not count it], Iíd probably shoot a lot more of them. Some people like to shoot the halfcourt shot, some people donít.Ē

Scott Brooks: ďYeah, thatís a shot attempt. I knew I wasnít going to make it, but you have to shoot it. I mean, three-quarter court? Itís probably not even worth shooting. But halfcourt in? These guys practice halfcourt shots as fun, every team Iíve been on either before practice or after practice they will have shooting contests at halfcourt. You have to shoot them. I believe you take that shot. And our guys do Ö Iíd rather have a chance to make it then wonder if I shouldíve shot that. Youíll never know Ö It makes sense [to not count it], but the purity of the game. You canít do that. You just canít do that.Ē

Nick Collison: ďA lot of guys do that. I think they should just not count it as an attempt unless they make it. Why not? I mean, itís not a real shot. I think they should just not count it. I know then there becomes a line of where does it become an attempt, is it 10 feet behind the line or whatever. At least on the other end of halfcourt. I mean, itís not a big deal because it doesnít really change much.Ē

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...7263--nba.html

http://dailythunder.com/2013/02/to-heave-or-not-heave/
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
tazb
HoFx3+1

tazb posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrytazb posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrytazb posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Kevin Durant admits he doesn't like chucking heaves

Quote:
Russell Westbrook: ďNo. Nope Ö If I was considering about [statistics] Iíd do a lot of shit different.Ē

tazb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
RagaZ
Deal with it

RagaZ has a very bad reputationRagaZ has a very bad reputationRagaZ has a very bad reputationRagaZ has a very bad reputationRagaZ has a very bad reputation

You're like 2 months late
RagaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
KDnRuss350
Can barely lace up my sneakers

KDnRuss350 has an OK reputation so far

And I bet he's the only star in the league that's guilty of this.

And I love Westbrook's answer. It fits his playing style and personality perfectly.
KDnRuss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

Swagbrooks steals the spotlight again
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
RagaZ
Deal with it

RagaZ has a very bad reputationRagaZ has a very bad reputationRagaZ has a very bad reputationRagaZ has a very bad reputationRagaZ has a very bad reputation

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...8924--nba.html
RagaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation here

Reposting old shit?
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputation

Russ man, like a boss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagaZ
You're like 2 months late
I love morons that come in being like "old news dude"! I could not find a thread about it, that's exactly why I made one now. Idiot.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

I find this shit so incredibly lame. Shame on these guys for caring so much about a meaningless stat like FG%. Once again Westbrook keeps it real. And Kendrick Perkins makes the most valid point.
longtime lurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
Heavincent
5-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is a pretty well-respected posterHeavincent is a pretty well-respected posterHeavincent is a pretty well-respected posterHeavincent is a pretty well-respected poster

ďIt depends on what Iím shooting from the field. First quarter if Iím 4-for-4, I let it go. Third quarter if Iím like 10-for-16, or 10-for-17, I might let it go. But if Iím like 8-for-19, Iím going to go ahead and dribble one more second and let that buzzer go off and then throw it up there. So it depends on how the gameís going.Ē

ďNo. Nope Ö If I was considering about [statistics] Iíd do a lot of shit different.Ē

Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

To think of it, I don't see Kobe taking those shots either. LeBron also does them very rarely but a lot more often than Kobe & KD.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Old news, but I think this proves that those who think Kevin Durant could simply shoot more and score as much as Kobe ever did don't factor in mindset and in general, different ways their skill sets are best used and approach the game naturally. Durant will give you 28 ppg and do it more efficiently than Kobe can, but Kobe is much more likely to average 35, string together a stretch of 40-50 point games ect.

This is more interesting than the halfcourt thing, though.

Quote:
KD tracks his numbers in his head obsessively throughout games, down to turnovers, assists, what he’s shooting from the floor, rebounds and of course, points. I remember a game last season where Durant threw a half-oop, half-shot out of bounds. He came over to the scorekeeper and asked him if he had scored it a turnover or a shot attempt. The scorekeeper said turnover, to which Durant said, “Good, I’d rather have a turnover than a miss.”

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/kevin-...brook-thunder/

Also, Kevin Martin's response is pretty funny. I'm surprised at the honesty of some of these players, but disappointed at their approach.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Old news, but I think this proves that those who think Kevin Durant could simply shoot more and score as much as Kobe ever did don't factor in mindset and in general, different ways their skill sets are best used and approach the game naturally. Durant will give you 28 ppg and do it more efficiently than Kobe can, but Kobe is much more likely to average 35, string together a stretch of 40-50 point games ect.

This is more interesting than the halfcourt thing, though.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/kevin-...brook-thunder/

Also, Kevin Martin's response is pretty funny. I'm surprised at the honesty of some of these players, but disappointed at their approach.
Durant probably drafts himself in fantasy
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
“It depends on what I’m shooting from the field. First quarter if I’m 4-for-4, I let it go. Third quarter if I’m like 10-for-16, or 10-for-17, I might let it go. But if I’m like 8-for-19, I’m going to go ahead and dribble one more second and let that buzzer go off and then throw it up there. So it depends on how the game’s going.”

“No. Nope … If I was considering about [statistics] I’d do a lot of shit different.”

Durant wants in on that 50-40-90 club, must be careful. :)

Lebron will also kindof do this, he will not so often neglect half-court line and closer to the basket heaves though (he shoots those like a normal jumpshot), but more like full-court heaves, those he will most likely neglect unless the game depended on it, those are 3pt/fg% killer shots lol
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation here

There's something about Westbrook's comment that make me crack a smile and have a bit of admiration for him. I wish I had that attitude on the court. At the same time I hate his arrogance and love to see him lose.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: