Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
hoopaddict08
Decent college freshman

Default Abortion trial

Sorry if this story has been posted.

This is disgusting and I didn't even hear anything about it till I started seeing posts on Facebook.

Quote:
In 2010, police raided Dr. Kermit Gosnell’s abortion clinic, called the Women’s Medical Society, in a low-income neighborhood of West Philadelphia and found what a grand jury report called a “baby charnel house” where illegal and late-term abortions were performed under dangerous conditions. Now on trial, Gosnell is charged with the deaths of one patient and seven babies allegedly born alive during abortion procedures; eight former employees — none of whom were certified doctors — may also face prison time.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/1...#ixzz2QaB8ExQu

Last edited by hoopaddict08 : 04-15-2013 at 10:02 PM.
hoopaddict08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
TheBrewer
Banned

Default Re: Abortion trial

Unless under extremely rare circumstances or chances the fetus can kill the mother, i am against late-term abortion.
TheBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

This is a story, similar to Obama extending Bushs tax cuts during his frst term, that does not get play because it reflects unflattering light on left wing ideals. They would prefer to sweep it under the partisan rug than acknowledge the story and discuss it as regular people.

For partisans, facts are a mere nuisance.
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopaddict08
Sorry if this story has been posted.

This is disgusting and I didn't even hear anything about it till I started seeing posts on Facebook.
It's been posted before.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=296411
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
hoopaddict08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
This is a story, similar to Obama extending Bushs tax cuts during his frst term, that does not get play because it reflects unflattering light on left wing ideals. They would prefer to sweep it under the partisan rug than acknowledge the story and discuss it as regular people.

Agreed.
hoopaddict08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52

How do late term abortions fit into left wing ideals? I've never heard anyone support them, nor have I heard anyone support abortions of any nature being carried out by non-professionals. Its not covered because it isn't a story people want to pay time (or money) for. Follow the money, not partisan politics. This is a media problem not a political one.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

This story may cause slight harm to the pro-choice cause but you're wrong if you think this clinic is something the pro-choice would endorse. This is, in fact, something they are trying to avoid by making sure abortion is legal with proper standards enforced and real, certified doctors performing them. The guy operating this clinic is not someone that they'd defend (I don't include myself because I have pro-choice leanings but do little for the cause). Restricting abortion access is one of the biggest ways something like this happens as desperate women that can't find or afford a proper procedure do what they feel they have to do. There are better options in a city like Philly and so I'm not saying the women had no better choices, they probably didn't realize what they were getting into/tried to have their pregnancies aborted too late and thus were turned away by other clinics. But know that no abortion-rights advocate endorses this kind of illegitimate operation.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
How do late term abortions fit into left wing ideals? I've never heard anyone support them, nor have I heard anyone support abortions of any nature being carried out by non-professionals. Its not covered because it isn't a story people want to pay time (or money) for. Follow the money, not partisan politics. This is a media problem not a political one.

The media loves anything sensational, and this story certainly is that. The fact it was very minimally reported is immediately conspicuous. I'm not saying people are proud of what happened at this clinic, but I do personally believe this was seen as a story that could damage the credibility of one of the left wings staunchest positions (abortion rights in general) and therefore was specifically underreported.

To me its not about the abortion issue itself. Just find it distasteful this story got no press, when less egregious stories get run all the time. Can I prove the agenda? No. Do I think its pretty easy to infer? Yes.
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Draz
Like a Baoss.

If you go into an abortion clinic with a late pregnancy already, you too deserve to be on trial the phuck?
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: