Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Vitamin D3

How many IU's per day do you shoot for?

I've become a vampire who stays indoors whenever possible over the past couple years due to fear of skin diseases from the sun. But, I'm starting to expose myself to it 10 minutes per day now so I can produce some of my own Vitamin D.

Usually I consume 6000 IU's per day through my multi and a separate D3 supplement.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Königspinguin
LandValueTax=Future

Königspinguin has decent reputationKönigspinguin has decent reputation
Default Re: Vitamin D3

Cholecalciferol is actually a hormone and unlike a lot of vitamins (the water soluble ones) taking too much of it is not healthy. It's best to get your levels checked first before you just take it.
Königspinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
How many IU's per day do you shoot for?

I've become a vampire who stays indoors whenever possible over the past couple years due to fear of skin diseases from the sun. But, I'm starting to expose myself to it 10 minutes per day now so I can produce some of my own Vitamin D.

Usually I consume 6000 IU's per day through my multi and a separate D3 supplement.

I find 1000 IU excessive. That's just too high bud. 100-400 IU a day is sufficent

There are alot of variables though. Do you comsume lot's of calcium? What's your diet like? Do you have a condition that requires such a high dosage.

Unless you live in a submarine or a cave, I'd max out at 1000 IU
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
TheGreatBlaze
Serious playground baller

TheGreatBlaze is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I take 2 Vitamin D3 2000 IU vitamins every day, along with 65 mg Iron, B-50 vitamins, 500 mg of vitamin C, 100 mg of Asian Ginseng extract, two 1000 mg calcium pills, 200 I.U. of vitamin E, 1000 mg of Omega-3 Fish oil and a daily multivitamin/multimineral to top it off. Suffice to say my urine is basically neon.
TheGreatBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I find 1000 IU excessive. That's just too high bud. 100-400 IU a day is sufficent

There are alot of variables though. Do you comsume lot's of calcium? What's your diet like? Do you have a condition that requires such a high dosage.

Unless you live in a submarine or a cave, I'd max out at 1000 IU

It's far more common to have deficiency than toxicity.

Up to 50% of Americans are deficient.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...35109708031756

I've read in several places that if you strength train regularly, 2000-5000IU is the recommended dosage. Research suggests that not only can the human body tolerate it but it's beneficial too.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00001/art00002

Quote:
It is estimated that children need at least 400-1000 IU of vitamin D a day while teenagers and adults need at least 2000 IU of vitamin D a day to satisfy their body's vitamin D requirement. It is estimated that 1 billion people worldwide are vitamin D deficient or insufficient. Correcting and preventing this deficiency could have an enormous impact on reducing health costs worldwide.

30 minutes in the summer sun can produce 10,000IU - 20,000IU of vitamin D in the body, so someone who avoids the sun a lot and supplements well below that is just fine.

Last edited by HardwoodLegend : 04-08-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
cuad
kings fan

cuad has not been impressing people

This guy says up to 10000 is safe, but recommends 5000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lRtx-4_FOY
cuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

it's a hot topic. nobody in either nutrition, medical or science knows exactly how much to recommend or to take.

all we know is that quantifiable loss of D3 leads to problems, although that's not the same thing as saying that deliberate regular solar exposure or vitamin D3 mega-dosing, etc. are the right solutions, either.

it's a hot topic, and herds of agitated sheep are stampeding in all directions.

personally i feel that if our ancestors did it with regularity (sun exposure), then the relationship is probably quite solid. it's just that, the sun today is not the same one our ancestors kindly developed under.

(in before shakehand-lover, who will probably rape my post with affection)

:)
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You would need a lot more than 5000 IU's to cause vitamin d toxicity.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

while others urge caution on such levels.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Königspinguin
LandValueTax=Future

Königspinguin has decent reputationKönigspinguin has decent reputation

So you have something to aim for. Get your levels checked. Then start taking Cholecalciferol if you want to get your levels higher and get it checked again. Don't just take it blindly.
Königspinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
while others urge caution on such levels.
What's their reasoning? All recorded instances of toxicity is nearly 10 fold the amount of what the op is consuming.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
shlver
코비=GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Königspinguin

So you have something to aim for. Get your levels checked. Then start taking Cholecalciferol if you want to get your levels higher and get it checked again. Don't just take it blindly.
This is sound advice. Get your serum levels checked and adjust intake accordingly.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
What's their reasoning? All recorded instances of toxicity is nearly 10 fold the amount of what the op is consuming.
not quite sure, although the opinion does seem to be consistent across internists who've treated me,and across science articles boiled down for lay-folks posted on yahoo news and such.

perhaps sheer power of professionalism and avoidance of liables, in the end?

regardless, i've been playing between 0 IU, 2K IU and 6K IU over the course of about three years. never noticed any difference of any kind in any case across any timeframe. not much prone to SAD, either, if that's a factor.

mercury-purified omega-3, by contrast, has proved both enhancing and terrifying right around the 20 gram mark or so. but never been quite sure what to do with that information. :/
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #14
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Königspinguin

The chart says the ideal level is 54 ng/ml since it would cover all your bases for disease prevention.

I had my levels measured a year ago, and I was at 62 ng/ml while taking in more D3 than I currently am. I've probably slipped backward a bit. But, the chart doesn't cite any danger of continuing to raise your level, so how would one know how much to continue taking?

Toxicity is not something to worry about unless you're popping 5K twice a day.

Some people with deficiencies are actually on a 50K per week for 6 weeks regimen though to raise their levels.

^ 50,000 IU

Last edited by HardwoodLegend : 04-09-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #15
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Article stating that research has concluded the optimal D3 serum level to be 50-70 ng/ml (raised previously from 40-60):

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...hy-ranges.aspx
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: