Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #16
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Cicadas are back (after 17 years)

DW had the facts-- multiple broods mean they can appear a lot more often than every 17 years. IIRC there's also another group of cicadas that emerges every 13 years, so the numbers can get kind of muddy.

anyway, for once i'm with the murdering professor-- i love the sound of cicadas, crickets, frogs, etc. i like animals very much, and insects are of course animals.

yea... but i probably couldn't deal with the super-emergences in some areas. supposedly the decibels can reach a point that damages hearing in humans. yikes.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #17
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

eewwwwwwwwwwwww
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
DW had the facts-- multiple broods mean they can appear a lot more often than every 17 years. IIRC there's also another group of cicadas that emerges every 13 years, so the numbers can get kind of muddy.

13 and 17 are both prime numbers. That is why they come out at these times. I think it has to do with avoiding their predators life cycles.

Here found an article on it.

http://io9.com/5895840/why-do-cicada...-prime-numbers

It is kind of neat.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

We get them every few years down here. I kinda like the sound at night.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #20
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There are 23 broods in the eastern US on 13 and 17 year life cycles. They are semelparous, like salmon and annual/biennial plants. This life strategy evolves out of iteoparity when the evolutionary advantages for holding off sexual reproduction become so great that the most beneficial strategy is to reproduce and die in one big push. This is typically a function of intense predation or resource allocation.

A cool thing is that semelparity is not phylogenetically constrained, meaning that it has evolved numerous times in genetically unrelated organisms.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #21
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Well, you definitely heard them even without knowing it. Here's 40 seconds of the sound they make: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mah26og11ms#t=0m20s

Oh yeah, I've heard that sound.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #22
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
...A cool thing is that semelparity is not phylogenetically constrained, meaning that it has evolved numerous times in genetically unrelated organisms.
sort of like religion.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
sort of like religion.

At first I was thinking "good point", but could you assume that the origins of man, our first tribes, practiced religion and such all other forms branched from it via migration?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #24
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0326
17 years? In Maryland they were around a few years ago.

Either way, I ****ing hate these things.
yea man i was like 8 or 9 back then. fvcking nasty things
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #25
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
There are 23 broods in the eastern US on 13 and 17 year life cycles. They are semelparous, like salmon and annual/biennial plants. This life strategy evolves out of iteoparity when the evolutionary advantages for holding off sexual reproduction become so great that the most beneficial strategy is to reproduce and die in one big push. This is typically a function of intense predation or resource allocation.

A cool thing is that semelparity is not phylogenetically constrained, meaning that it has evolved numerous times in genetically unrelated organisms.

Cool. Here we thought you went to plant college when in actuality you went to plant and bug college.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
At first I was thinking "good point", but could you assume that the origins of man, our first tribes, practiced religion and such all other forms branched from it via migration?
i suspect that given the long time variable involved, the naturally-occuring fracturing war and conflict between shamans, forgetting of old ways, orphans forging whole new ways here and there, enormous ability to adapt to new environments (and put aside old ways as needed), etc etc... that the slate was wiped clean many times from the roots of tribalism (which predates homo IMO) up til now... so perhaps as much as 6 million years or so.

and papers seem to keep indicating that multiple strains of hominids contributed to the current genetic model (ie, more than just neanderthal, possibly florensis, etc), with the implication to me that this probably happened all along the line even just starting with the primal great apes. imagine all the twists and turns that could produce in colonial / tribal models, even rudimentary ones.

so it seems to come down moreso to archetypes... near identical mythos arising independently all across the world... like rip van winkle from europe matching up with the very similar story from japan, except that the subject made his journey underwater... perhaps to represent the subconscious.

can't believe i typed all that flat on back on tablet digesting meal. pardon any gaping holes in reasoning.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #27
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Is the idea that different broods on are different 17 year cycles?

I've heard that trees grow bigger the years the cicadas come because so many die out the earth is rich in nitrogen.
Here's the clip from the BBC's Planet Earth.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #28
lbj4kb8
Decent playground baller

lbj4kb8 has decent reputationlbj4kb8 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
every 17 years. lebron fans love making sht up

Like I mentioned, I'm not from Chicago or from a place that has cicadas. I brought up the number 7 because that's what I remembered. I guess I missed it by 10 years or so. It was 5 years ago so relax you douche. Just trying to add to this thread by talking about my experience.
lbj4kb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #29
FillJackson
I brick open layups

FillJackson has an OK reputation so far

I worked a student film years ago doing sound. The director had the art department bring a bunch of crickets for a special shot she wanted. The actress was doing some sort of ritual/witchcraft thing. So we get to this scene and they give the director the crickets and she tells the actress does the scene and lets all these crickets loose and does her ritual/witchcraft chant and then the Director says, "Let's do it again. Gather up the crickets."

Every one turned and looked at her like she had three ****ing heads. The crickets naturally disappeared into any crack and crevice they could.

Also that was not the last shot of the night. So every subsequent shot that night had loud cricket chirping over every piece of a dialogue. Total FUBAR.

My second favorite film disaster. My first was the scene where the director wanted the actor who was playing a sculptor to tear apart his studio and to end the scene by smashing a statue. But the director wanted to keep the energy "real" and didn't want to do any rehearsal or even block out the movements of the shot. So we had this very real moment of the sculptor tearing apart his studio and do a quick 180 turn to smash his statue right in front of the boom man.

And of course, it was the only statue that they had.
FillJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #30
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Cool. Here we thought you went to plant college when in actuality you went to plant and bug college.

Ha, I never took entomology, but after my third or fourth season with them piercing my brain I read all about them and learned why I hate them.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: