Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Arrow OT: fixing terrible work ethic

My work ethic is flat out terrible. Heavy procrastination is involved, but it's also a huge motivation thing. I'll actually get started on something, but 3 minutes in I'll be thinking of something else, then I'll stop doing what I was doing and bog off.

When I'm in the crunch, I have the best work ethic you could have. I know it's a horrible situation to get into, but I didn't sleep from a saturday morning at 7 until the next monday night because I had big project due. My nonexistant ability to work without immense pressure drives me bonkers. Don't get me wrong, I have never missed a deadline since gr. 10 when I didn't give a ****, nor have I ever blew off tests, exams, midterms etc..

Does anyone else have this problem? If you have been able to fix it, how did you do it?

Any advice appreciated.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Default Re: OT: fixing terrible work ethic

I guess the only thing I can tell you is go somewhere you can't be distracted. Try a library out or something and just keep telling yourself to get it done.

Try creating a schedule, and do a part one day and finish another part a different day. That's bascially my plan for this semester. I'm taking 6 classes and will be working 30+ hours, so I'm trying to keep up with the readings by doing them in parts and I'm trying so hard not to fall behind. I just go to the library, no friends, labtop, mp3 player, cell shut off and get it done because I really need to pick up my GPA.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

I was the same way all through school, including college. Never did fix it. The only thing I can suggest is to try working/studying in a group. It might make you feel more obligated or at least motivated to get things done before the last minute.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:41 PM   #4
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

Well for me, since Raptor games are on @ 7+ o clock, I say to myself that I need to finish homework/essays before the game so I won't have to worry about them during the games or after the games.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

dude, i have THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. id have a paper due that was assigned like a week or two in advance. everytime id try to start on it early, i couldnt. the stuff i wanted to write just wouldnt happen. then the night before the paper is due id write up a storm in like 2 hours.

i dont know how to solve this problem either. i just take it with stride and have come to terms with it that i will always be a procrastinator because thats the way i have been for long and its never been a major problem.

i have some crazy procrastination stories....

one time i had a paper due on friday, so thursday night i sat down to start on it and crap, i didnt have the book. so friday morning i drove to school at 8am bought the book from the bookstore, skimmed through 40 pages and turned in a 4 page paper at 11:20am. got a B- on it so i was happy.

another time i went to class happy because i actually did my work in advance. i sit down and everyone pulls out internet articles. i ask the girl next to me whats going on and she said we have an internet assignment due. i run to the library, log in, find an article, print it out, write a 1 1/2 page summary on it and run back to class in 30 mins. that was probably my alltime best procrastination story.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
kumquat
College superstar

That's the only way I can work. I can only get things done with 5 minutes to go.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

You know what I hate though..finishing your work in like a week advanced and you end up losing it.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyking
Mods please move this to the "premenstrual whiny rant" forum.

The annoying response I get from you shows why you are a much poorer poster than the ones who responded well.

Thanks for the inputs, they all are mini-solutions, except for gorapz'. Why? I usually just say **** it I'll do it after. I'm so bad at that, that on Sunday mornings before a 1 o'clock game I won't do ****, even if I get up early.

Creating a schedule and getting small things done is a good idea. I try to do that, but I think now I am going to make even smaller goals. I'd say doing a lot of, to enumerate it, 5% goals is better than doing a few 25% goals then blowing off the schedule. Shooting slump? Get some easy lay-ups.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #9
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRapz
You know what I hate though..finishing your work in like a week advanced and you end up losing it.

haha

No offense, but I remember was I was completely unorganized and I would forget about tests, lose papers, forget pencils etc., good thing that was only up until maybe the 9th grade, but now I can laugh at it.

Getting things done in advance?

A week in advance?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #10
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

I've done it so many times and it pisses me off. That's why I dont try to finish things too early now.

I remember yesterday I lent my friend my civics homework because he was having trouble with some questions. 20 minutes later when the teacher wanted to check it I totally forgot my friend had it so I was having memories about losing my work again and I was going nuts.....Then my friend said "yo, here's your work, thanks man" I was so relieved.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #11
monthh
Local High School Star

I recommend trying to fix it when you are in school, but it doesn't change when you get out, but it can be a lot more serious that having a late paper or something. I am to the point now where I have gotten so used to the pressure that I can't really do anything in my life before the last second and even though I usually get it done well, it still kind of sucks.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:00 AM   #12
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne

Getting things done in advance?

A week in advance?

man that just doesnt happen for me. no matter how hard i try, i just cant think or what to write on a paper or how to do a problem...but then the night before when the pressure is on, this light just turns on and i just type with a fury. the way i look at is: if it gets the job done and your still passing then just accept it and look at it as a gift i guess that you can work well under pressure.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #13
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne
My work ethic is flat out terrible. Heavy procrastination is involved, but it's also a huge motivation thing. I'll actually get started on something, but 3 minutes in I'll be thinking of something else, then I'll stop doing what I was doing and bog off.

When I'm in the crunch, I have the best work ethic you could have. I know it's a horrible situation to get into, but I didn't sleep from a saturday morning at 7 until the next monday night because I had big project due. My nonexistant ability to work without immense pressure drives me bonkers. Don't get me wrong, I have never missed a deadline since gr. 10 when I didn't give a ****, nor have I ever blew off tests, exams, midterms etc..

Does anyone else have this problem? If you have been able to fix it, how did you do it?

Any advice appreciated.

You really just described my work habits perfectly. I never miss deadlines, and usually hand in really good work, but it's all done at the last possible minute. I'll wait to do culminating projects til like 9:00 pm the day before it's due. It usually results in me staying up til like 3 or 4 am, but I've always done really well on them. I suppose I just need the pressure to complete it in order to get myself to do it. I imagine this will really screw me over in University, but I got through high school with relative ease, so we'll see how it translates.

I don't know how you fix it unfortunately, or I would have done it for myself already, you just have to have the discipline to get the work done, or set up a system where you can do it in parts so that the overall workload is spread out. I personally like how I operate, other people panic and fold when they get pressed with stress, but I'm really care free and don't mind the pressure at all, I find I do my best work when I'm under the pressure of a deadline, I guess it allows me to think clearly.

It may be just how you are as a person, I'm not exactly sure if it can be fixed, it can be improved, but probably not fixed. I would guess that I'll probably manage things a bit better in University, but I can't imagine me not leaving things late, it's just how I do things. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #14
machi
I airball my layups

I got this problem too actually, and I really can't afford to slack off the way that I do.

I find that setting a schedule helps a bit. I set pretty strict goals for myself (i.e. get a certain portion of work done on specific days), but I find that I rarely meet them. But it's fine though because I still do WAY more than I did before I made a schedule for myself. Maybe give it a try, takes like 2 minutes to make a schedule for the week. It also helps you keep track of your deadlines a lot better as well.

Hope that helps.
machi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:31 PM   #15
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

yeah I have the same problem

to fix it, as long as I didn't have work that I needed the computer for, I wouldn't even turn my computer on. I would do the work in a room without a TV, though I did allow myself a radio.

If I needed the computer for work, then I would not allow myself to open my web browser (it turned out that 99% of my procrastination was simply due to the infinite number of time-wasters available on the internet, so I didn't open the browser to avoid the temptation).

If I needed the web-browser to do work, I did not open new tabs or new windows. The only thing on the screen would by what I needed for the work I was doing. Even if I was going to procrastinate by spacing out, that never lasted as long as the web-surfing tangents I would go on.

Eventually you get so bored that doing the work is actually your best option. After a few days of doing this, the spacing out periods minimized and I actually became much more efficient.

A few days later, I reverted right back to my old self

Last edited by NYKnicks914 : 02-10-2007 at 11:35 PM.
NYKnicks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: