Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #16
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Excel. yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
You obviously don't understand the value of Excel (esp w/2013) as a BI tool.

Please explain it then to me.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #17
Doctor Rivers
Good college starter

Doctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
Please explain it then to me.

Hmm.. where to begin?

Well Excel has always been one of the primary interfaces for OLAP reporting--connect to a cube and you can slice and dice the data via PivotTables.

There's a relatively new component of Excel called PowerPivot that allows you to build a full fledged data model (complete with relationships) within your file. You can import a large amount (I'm talking in excess of 100 million rows) of data from a variety of sources, mash it together and perform analysis on top of it. You can use it in conjunction w/SharePoint for collaboration as well.

The bottom line is that in no way has Excel become irrelevant and in fact it's gained more value as a data analysis tool. Your blanket statement of "use SQL Server for everything" doesn't make any sense since you need the proper tools to gain proper insight into your data.
Doctor Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
Hmm.. where to begin?

Well Excel has always been one of the primary interfaces for OLAP reporting--connect to a cube and you can slice and dice the data via PivotTables.

There's a relatively new component of Excel called PowerPivot that allows you to build a full fledged data model (complete with relationships) within your file. You can import a large amount (I'm talking in excess of 100 million rows) of data from a variety of sources, mash it together and perform analysis on top of it. You can use it in conjunction w/SharePoint for collaboration as well.

The bottom line is that in no way has Excel become irrelevant and in fact it's gained more value as a data analysis tool. Your blanket statement of "use SQL Server for everything" doesn't make any sense since you need the proper tools to gain proper insight into your data.

Hopefully the version of excel that you're using comes with a tutorial on reading comprehension as ""use SQL Server for everything" is no where to be found in any post I made. Now being able to handle upwards of +100 million rows is great, but who's doing to do that manually? walmart certainly isn't and neither would any e-commerce site worth a damn.

My suggestion was based in quality of the datasource, as using an actual database to store the data is highly suggested, especially with most companies switching(if they haven't already) to a web based model that presents itself as a service.

In terms of data analysis, yes, you can use excel for charts, but I would recommend against it for storing data. You can make the same charts though using jQuery and HTML5
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
Doctor Rivers
Good college starter

Doctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Hopefully the version of excel that you're using comes with a tutorial on reading comprehension as ""use SQL Server for everything" is no where to be found in any post I made. Now being able to handle upwards of +100 million rows is great, but who's doing to do that manually? walmart certainly isn't and neither would any e-commerce site worth a damn.

My suggestion was based in quality of the datasource, as using an actual database to store the data is highly suggested, especially with most companies switching(if they haven't already) to a web based model that presents itself as a service.

In terms of data analysis, yes, you can use excel for charts, but I would recommend against it for storing data. You can make the same charts though using jQuery and HTML5

I don't think my reading comprehension is in question here; rather it's your inability to clearly state your opinion in your OP.

I wasn't talking about data sources for EDW, OLTP or application development. Obviously relational databases would be the first option. My argument was the value of Excel to it's traditional audience: the business user.

Last I checked, most business/data analysts don't have a skill set that overlaps with JavaScript programming. The ability to analyze data in Excel goes beyond basic charting. There are a couple more new Excel add-ins called Power View and GeoFlow that allow you to quickly whip up rich/interactive visualizations of your source data.

Quote:
especially with most companies switching(if they haven't already) to a web based model that presents itself as a service.

This is a misleading statement. "most companies" are not switching to AWS or Azure, at least not ones that give a damn about their data.
Doctor Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #20
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

I think everyone is kind of saying the same thing in a different way, database programs for data, and excel for more detailed analysis, haha.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Lol. What you actually said is this:

Quote:
when it comes to sex, i excel....

anyway, i laugh at companies who still use excel. store your data in sql server and the value of your data will increase 10 fold

Virtually every successful company still uses Excel is some form. You sound like an idiot.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #22
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

lolz I wonder if OP is from my office as we are being asked to do this right now and have no clue how to do it, waiting for ample training hehehe.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Kaspah
We hoopin?

Kaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
lolz I wonder if OP is from my office as we are being asked to do this right now and have no clue how to do it, waiting for ample training hehehe.

Yes.

I work in your office with you

And am banging your girlfriend

Excel
Kaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #24
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspah
Yes.

I work in your office with you

And am banging your girlfriend

Excel
ok great wait Ill ask her since she's right beside my cubicle
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #25
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Lol. What you actually said is this:

Virtually every successful company still uses Excel is some form. You sound like an idiot.

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: