Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Disney shuts down LucasArts - Star Wars 1313 and Star Wars: First Assault cancelled

So Disney are shutting down LA as an internal development studio and changing to a licensing model instead. Means that both in development Star Wars games have been cancelled, although they may be resurrected with another developer taking over.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/04/lucasarts-disney/
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Disney shuts down LucasArts - Star Wars 1313 and Star Wars: First Assault cancelled

I'm okay with this actually. I would like for multiple developers to have a crack at the IP so that we get different experiences within the Universe. I just hope Disney licenses to the right people.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Disney shuts down LucasArts - Star Wars 1313 and Star Wars: First Assault cancelled

Was just about to post about this. I was pretty psyched for Star Wars 1313 when they showed it, visually it looked incredible. Bummed that it's future is now uncertain, hopefully they can figure something out.
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

this actually be for the best. Would love for a developer like Bethesda to get their hands on a license like this. Would be awesome.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
this actually be for the best. Would love for a developer like Bethesda to get their hands on a license like this. Would be awesome.
Anyone but Bethesda! (personal preference, I hate Bethesda)

I'd actually love to see High Moon Studios get a crack at a star wars game, even though they just laid off some people...their transformers games have been nothing but amazing. And Deadpool looks like more of the same.

I'm bummed but not terribly upset. Hopefully we can get Kotor III out of bioware finally, and maybe even get a third Battlefront now...preferably from Dice but to each his own.
Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
Anyone but Bethesda! (personal preference, I hate Bethesda)

I'd actually love to see High Moon Studios get a crack at a star wars game, even though they just laid off some people...their transformers games have been nothing but amazing. And Deadpool looks like more of the same.

I'm bummed but not terribly upset. Hopefully we can get Kotor III out of bioware finally, and maybe even get a third Battlefront now...preferably from Dice but to each his own.
HMS seem like a good choice to finish off 1313, but from the sounds of it they tried to find someone before they officially shut it down and couldn't find any takers.

Overall i'm not that fussed as the people who were working at LucasArts during the 90's when they were making a ton of terrific games are all elsewhere, but it does suck that 150+ people now need to find new jobs.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It is a major bummer that those people lost their jobs, but it seems that the video game world does a good job of taking care of their own in some manner. At least when a whole studio shuts down.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
HMS seem like a good choice to finish off 1313, but from the sounds of it they tried to find someone before they officially shut it down and couldn't find any takers.

Overall i'm not that fussed as the people who were working at LucasArts during the 90's when they were making a ton of terrific games are all elsewhere, but it does suck that 150+ people now need to find new jobs.
I think HMS might take it after Deadpool is released, because from what I'm reading about them canning people is that they have nothing in the pipeline and they had to pay people. Plus they're more medium sized than large sized anyways. They probably only shopped it to the big studios.

I don't think Disney realizes what a cash cow they could have on their hands if they gave some of these titles to the right studios. I don't want to see it but Battlefront/Assault finished by one of the COD makers? People would eat that shit like it's fast food.

Yeah once I found out none of the guys made anything I liked I didn't care as much. I hope they find jobs but meh.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Apparently George wanted them to make it about Boba Fett, and it had been retooled a few times already.

Eh. More interested because it's Boba Fett, less interested at the same time because it had been retooled.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

You know the more I think about it, the more I think this is really really good, at least for us the consumer. Think about it: when was the last time LucasArts actually made something you just had to buy?

My only concern now is Disney's brand protection practices.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ea has made a deal with Disney for the star wars games
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
Ea has made a deal with Disney for the star wars games
Just came to post this.

Absolutely great news I think. Hopefully this means that some of the long awaited sequels (battlefield 3 kotor 3) get made. Seems like a perfect match to me.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
Just came to post this.

Absolutely great news I think. Hopefully this means that some of the long awaited sequels (battlefield 3 kotor 3) get made. Seems like a perfect match to me.

Funny how earlier in the thread you mentioned that whoever will be making Battlefront 3, you'd prefer if it wasn't DICE. Most likely that's going to happen now.

EA specifically mentioned Bioware, DICE and Visceral are going to be making Star Wars games. I'm sure Bioware will got on some type of KOTOR style hype, so can't really complain about that. DICE is going to make a SW multiplayer shooter obviously. Visceral seems like a pretty mediocre dev to me, but we'll see
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Funny how earlier in the thread you mentioned that whoever will be making Battlefront 3, you'd prefer if it wasn't DICE. Most likely that's going to happen now.

EA specifically mentioned Bioware, DICE and Visceral are going to be making Star Wars games. I'm sure Bioware will got on some type of KOTOR style hype, so can't really complain about that. DICE is going to make a SW multiplayer shooter obviously. Visceral seems like a pretty mediocre dev to me, but we'll see
Nah, I said preferably DICE. I didn't want Bethesda getting their hands on Star Wars.

People love Dead Space, (I don't get the hype personally), but I can see why they got mentioned specifically for a game. They seem like the candidate to probably take over 1313 if I had to guess.

Oh just saw they made Dante's Inferno. I liked that game.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
Rose
slightly upset stomach

One thing I'm curious about is whether or not EA will release the shooter game that was supposed to be released last fall. And if they'll scrap 1313 and start from scratch since supposedly it was starting to get off course.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: