Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #31
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 39,374
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
A Blues band is the best to see live. Small venue, and close to the musicians. Nothing more you could ask for.
Well yeah, Blues and Jazz too. Reggae.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #32
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac
 
HardwoodLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Rec Center
Posts: 3,661
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

La Roux in an intimate setting would be really cool.
I'd be willing to give Lana Del Rey a shot too despite her SNL showing.
Amy Winehouse if she were still alive.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
eriX
Good High School Starter
 
eriX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 993
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

EDM events/festivals are the best live music events ever.
eriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
JerryWest
kobeee!!
 
JerryWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,544
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

op is a hermit
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #35
travelingman
Rules #2 dont give fk*
 
travelingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep South
Posts: 736
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

Maybe it's because I'm a musician, but I wouldn't go to a concert unless the band/performer playing was a virtuoso in his/her own right. Some bands are good, but not necessarily worth seeing live. For example, Pearl Jam I would only go see for Eddie Vedder's vocals, Stone Temple Pilots I would go see for everyone except Scott Weiland, and GN'R I would maybe only see just to say that I saw Axl Rose in person. As far as virtuosos, I'd love to see Steve Vai, Tosin Abasi, Mike Portnoy, Kevin Keith, et al. But yeah I'm not much of a concert-goer.
travelingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #36
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,377
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

I don't know why you wouldn't like it. Certainly, some bands don't sound great live, but that's the risk you take. And you can still have fun if they don't sound phenomenal, because these guys are entertainers as much as performers. Case in point, George Thorogood didn't sound great at all when I saw him, but it was still a lot of fun. I've seen AC/DC three times (with varying degrees of sound quality, although they were pretty good every time), and you're there for the show as much as the music. Same with Hank Williams Jr, he sounded pretty good but it was fun just listening to his stories, watching him perform, etc. Guy was a true performer.

Just because a guy sounds great doesn't mean it's going to be a super fun show. I'm looking at you John Fogerty.

I really don't get how you can't be a fan of live music unless you hate the band you're seeing.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #37
travelingman
Rules #2 dont give fk*
 
travelingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep South
Posts: 736
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I don't know why you wouldn't like it. Certainly, some bands don't sound great live, but that's the risk you take. And you can still have fun if they don't sound phenomenal, because these guys are entertainers as much as performers. Case in point, George Thorogood didn't sound great at all when I saw him, but it was still a lot of fun. I've seen AC/DC three times (with varying degrees of sound quality, although they were pretty good every time), and you're there for the show as much as the music. Same with Hank Williams Jr, he sounded pretty good but it was fun just listening to his stories, watching him perform, etc. Guy was a true performer.

Just because a guy sounds great doesn't mean it's going to be a super fun show. I'm looking at you John Fogerty.

I really don't get how you can't be a fan of live music unless you hate the band you're seeing.

I think it's a bit too much to say you must hate a band if you don't appreciate their live stuff. Now, if I'm a huge fan of a band, I'll go see them rain or shine. However, if I'm new to or indifferent to a band, it depends, you know?
travelingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #38
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,377
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman
I think it's a bit too much to say you must hate a band if you don't appreciate their live stuff. Now, if I'm a huge fan of a band, I'll go see them rain or shine. However, if I'm new to or indifferent to a band, it depends, you know?
I think you misunderstood me a bit. I didn't mean hate a band because they suck live, I meant to say to hate live music in general, I just don't get it. Unless you hate the band you're seeing. Post was directed at OP, not as judgment on your comments.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #39
nightprowler10
Hold the door
 
nightprowler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Madhouse on Madison
Posts: 4,507
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman
Stone Temple Pilots I would go see for everyone except Scott Weiland
Funnily enough I saw STP live in Chicago a few years ago and I was not impressed whatsoever. Everyone else I've talked to raves about them live but that show just sucked and I'd be pissed if I hadn't only paid $35. But yeah I'm pretty sure Weiland was the main reason I felt this way.

Another band that was really good live was Korn. Seether is also surprisingly good live.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #40
BrickingStar
Banned
 
BrickingStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,060
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryWest
op is a hermit
Sure sounds like it from some of his threads
BrickingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #41
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac
 
HardwoodLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Rec Center
Posts: 3,661
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

I experience feelings of hermitage every once and a while, but even when I like to get out I still don't care for hordes of people.

That said, Wu Tang Clan bout to hit the Coachella stage!!! YouTube is my best friend.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #42
DeuceWallaces
I am your density
 
DeuceWallaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 18,660
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightprowler10
Funnily enough I saw STP live in Chicago a few years ago and I was not impressed whatsoever. Everyone else I've talked to raves about them live but that show just sucked and I'd be pissed if I hadn't only paid $35. But yeah I'm pretty sure Weiland was the main reason I felt this way.

Another band that was really good live was Korn. Seether is also surprisingly good live.

STP has a good mix but Scott is usually ****ed up and sings whatever lyrics he wants. Can be annoying. Same goes for the few time I saw him with Velvet Revolver.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #43
outbreak
......................
 
outbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rob Hennigan's basement
Posts: 14,171
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

I love live music. I mainly goto local punk/hardcore shows but recently saw Springsteen and it was amazing. I listen to a pretty wide variety of music these days but I'm not a big fan of rap (i like some old school stuff) but I think the rnb and rap genres don't lend themselves well to a live situation as much as rock and people playing instruments do.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #44
Clifton
talk less, say more
 
Clifton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,594
Default Re: am i the only one who's not a fan of live music concerts?

Popular music (rock, rap, folk, singer/songwriter, etc) doesn't belong in a large venue. The larger the venue, the worse the show.

Also, not all music works as live music. Most music you hear on the radio is made for the radio. Some radio bands put on a great live show, but only if they approach it totally differently. I saw Nas live one time and it was atrocious. All he did was rap louder so that you couldn't understand him.

I'd rather see a mediocre band play in a bar than my favorite band play at the super bowl.

The only decent rap concert I've been to was The Roots, and the experience couldn't be more different from sticking a Roots album into your car and pressing play (though both are good things to do).
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:10 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy