Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default To all the metal fans on here: I finally started listening to new music.

Everyone picked on me last summer because I said I still really only listened to old metal bands like Pantera, old Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, etc. but I got into way more "newer" bands since then. In fact I'm actually going to see Opeth with Katatonia in concert on May 11th.

But this past year I've gotten into Opeth, Mastodon, Gojira, Ghost, Devin Townsend Project, Fallujah, High on Fire
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Balla_Status

Balla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputationBalla_Status has a terrific reputation
Default Re: To all the metal fans on here: I finally started listening to new music.

Cool story Hansel
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Batzman
Shit just got cereal

Batzman is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBatzman is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBatzman is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBatzman is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBatzman is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBatzman is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBatzman is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBatzman is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: To all the metal fans on here: I finally started listening to new music.

Crool bory mistro.
Batzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC
Everyone picked on me last summer because I said I still really only listened to old metal bands like Pantera, old Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, etc. but I got into way more "newer" bands since then. In fact I'm actually going to see Opeth with Katatonia in concert on May 11th.

But this past year I've gotten into Opeth, Mastodon, Gojira, Ghost, Devin Townsend Project, Fallujah, High on Fire

Nothing wrong with listening to the old bands and nothing else. Pantera and Overkill are two bands I listen to on a daily basis. Never got into Slayer except for a few tracks and Anthrax is either hit or miss.

Mastodon is OK and I can only listen through a few Katatonia songs before I want to cut my wrists.

Some old and new bands you should check out:

Darkwater
Redemption
Jag Panzer
Jorn
Armored Saint (former Anthrax singer)
Savatage
Accept
Saxon
Kreator
Heathen
Iced Earth
In Flames
Fozzy
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #5
Heavincent
7-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board

Enter to the realm of SATAN
Heavincent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

I like the song 'Enter Sandman' by Metallica. That's about it when it comes to metal.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Check our Dark Sermon,Abiotic, Aegeon, Within the Ruins, animals as leaders and Veil of Mata yo
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
I like the song 'Enter Sandman' by Metallica. That's about it when it comes to metal.

That and...

Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Metallica - Master of Puppets
AC/DC - Back in Black
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Led Zeppelin - Whole lotta love
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
Van Halen - Aint Talkin bout Love
Dio - Rainbow in the Dark
Derik and Dominoes/Eric Clapton - Layla
Deep Purple - Smoke in the Water
System of a Down - Cop Suey
Steppen Wolf - Born to be Wild
Korn - Freak on a Leash

Give them a try! I love any type of music genre, as long as it flows nicely through my ears. Metal is an acquired taste, anything higher than that (death metal and so on) is just screaming to me... the only such song i was able to listen through and kindof enjoy somewhat was Sepultura - Roots Bloody Roots try that.
pauk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sooo many of those artists are not metal. AC/DC have never been metal, and Led Zeppelin?
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

It's Chop Suey Pauk and yeah, awesome song. I've been listening to my old System of a Down stuff lately and really liking it. Awesome band and I really hope they reunite for another album and not just a tour like they're planning.

I tend to prefer metal with screaming so most of the above bands are meh.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Some old and new bands you should check out:

Darkwater
Redemption
Jag Panzer
Jorn
Armored Saint (former Anthrax singer)
Savatage
Accept
Saxon
Kreator
Heathen
Iced Earth
In Flames
Fozzy

We have very similar tastes. A lot of really good bands there.

I'm not as big on death metal, but I do like a decent amount of the first era of death metal(late 80's/early 90's), some of the melodic death metal bands from Europe and some progressive death metal.

Never liked nu-metal(for those that don't know, I don't mean newer bands...that's what a sub-genre in the late 90's/early 00's was called) and I hate metalcore. Other than that, I'll give most forms of metal a shot.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightprowler10
Sooo many of those artists are not metal. AC/DC have never been metal, and Led Zeppelin?

Yea, but some of their songs are "metal'ish".

Last edited by pauk : 04-14-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Yea, but some of their songs are "metal'ish".
AC/DC? Sure, some stuff, but not Back In Black. Maybe some stuff off of Let There Be Rock and Fly on the Wall but that's it. Led Zeppelin? Come on man. Nothing they've ever done comes close.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
pauk
NBA Legend

Quote:
AC/DC? Sure, some stuff, but not Back In Black. But Led Zeppelin? Come on man. Nothing they've ever done comes close.

I cant lie though, the vast genres of rock can confuse me at times... so many genres its crazy.... especially its confusing when a band may call their genre "rock" and have a song that is kindof "hard rock/metal" and a band can call their genre "death metal" and make a different genre type of rock song.....

Take Metallica for example... one of their songs can be vicious as hell....... then all of the sudden you hear "Nothing else matters"...

The only type of genres i can immediately see what it is kindof is death metal and so on.... they scream like hell

Last edited by pauk : 04-14-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Uh, pretty much everyone he listed has been called metal at one point or another, or been mentioned as influential to the genre. Metal has been around for over 40 years now, the sounds have changed a ton. Pretty much everyone who knows anything about metal acknowledges Zeppelin at the absolute least was one of the 3 biggest influences in the early years of metal and definitely had metal songs.

AC/DC is considered metal by a lot of people as well, and if you listen to contemporary bands from the 70's and early 80's that are synonymous with metal, it's not the least bit difficult to see.

You actually won't read a book, article or see a documentary about the early years and development of metal without those bands mentioned. And the fact that virtually every metal musician listened to those bands or in many cases covered their songs says a lot as well.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: