Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
pauk
NBA Legend

Default Re: To all the metal fans on here: I finally started listening to new music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Uh, pretty much everyone he listed has been called metal at one point or another, or been mentioned as influential to the genre. Metal has been around for over 40 years now, the sounds have changed a ton. Pretty much everyone who knows anything about metal acknowledges Zeppelin at the absolute least was one of the 3 biggest influences in the early years of metal and definitely had metal songs.

AC/DC is considered metal by a lot of people as well, and if you listen to contemporary bands from the 70's and early 80's that are synonymous with metal, it's not the least bit difficult to see.

You actually won't read a book, article or see a documentary about the early years and development of metal without those bands mentioned. And the fact that virtually every metal musician listened to those bands or in many cases covered their songs says a lot as well.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

Default Re: To all the metal fans on here: I finally started listening to new music.

Quote:
Uh, pretty much everyone he listed has been called metal at one point or another, or been mentioned as influential to the genre. Metal has been around for over 40 years now, the sounds have changed a ton. Pretty much everyone who knows anything about metal acknowledges Zeppelin at the absolute least was one of the 3 biggest influences in the early years of metal and definitely had metal songs.

AC/DC is considered metal by a lot of people as well, and if you listen to contemporary bands from the 70's and early 80's that are synonymous with metal, it's not the least bit difficult to see.

You actually won't read a book, article or see a documentary about the early years and development of metal without those bands mentioned. And the fact that virtually every metal musician listened to those bands or in many cases covered their songs says a lot as well.
As I responded to pauk, I can see a case for AC/DC being called metal.

To your point though, I've read several books about AC/DC actually, they've been called punk, metal, even pop, doesn't make it all true. AC/DC have listed Beatles, Chuck Berry, and blues artists as their influence, but that doesn't automatically make those artists heavy rock. It's backwards logic. If anything, it makes AC/DC bluesy.

Last edited by nightprowler10 : 04-14-2013 at 08:25 PM.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #18
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
I cant lie though, the vast genres of rock can confuse me at times... so many genres its crazy.... especially its confusing when a band may call their genre "rock" and have a song that is kindof "hard rock/metal" and a band can call their genre "death metal" and make a different genre type of rock song.....

Take Metallica for example... one of their songs can be vicious as hell....... then all of the sudden you hear "Nothing else matters"...

The only type of genres i can immediately see what it is kindof is death metal and so on.... they scream like hell
As someone who was introduced to rock music at a late age, I get where you're coming from.

In any case, I own every AC/DC song and most Led Zeppelin songs ever made. Hit me up for recommendations.

As metal is concerned, I'm not as into it as I used to be, and even then it was mostly mainstream stuff like Pantera, Metallica, and some not so mainstream stuff like Annihilator. I own some stuff by local bands but I don't think that really counts in this conversation.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Nothing wrong with listening to the old bands and nothing else. Pantera and Overkill are two bands I listen to on a daily basis. Never got into Slayer except for a few tracks and Anthrax is either hit or miss.

Mastodon is OK and I can only listen through a few Katatonia songs before I want to cut my wrists.

Some old and new bands you should check out:

Darkwater
Redemption
Jag Panzer
Jorn
Armored Saint (former Anthrax singer)
Savatage
Accept
Saxon
Kreator
Heathen
Iced Earth
In Flames
Fozzy

Oh, I still love the old stuff. But decided to finally start checking out some newer bands. I know Mastodon and Opeth have been around for a while. They're not exactly "new" but "new" to me and "newer" than Pantera and listening to the same old Metallica records over and over again. I've heard of a lot of thos bands you mentioned. I used to love In Flames. Around 2002/2003 all I was listening to was In Flames, Shadows Fall and Meshuggah. Is Fozzy any good? I mean I love Chris Jericho and wrestling and it's badass that he's so into heavy metal but I always thought they were supposed to be a joke band. I do love Saxon and Kreator and Iced Earth though. I'll have to check out some of the other bands you mentioned.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightprowler10
As I responded to pauk, I can see a case for AC/DC being called metal.

To your point though, I've read several books about AC/DC actually, they've been called punk, metal, even pop, doesn't make it all true. AC/DC have listed Beatles, Chuck Berry, and blues artists as their influence, but that doesn't automatically make those artists heavy rock. It's backwards thinking. If anything, it makes AC/DC bluesy.

That's because there was no such thing as metal when they started listening to music. The first time I think someone even tried to distort a guitar was Link Wray in 1958.

AC/DC was considered metal by many in their day when they were actually at the height of their popularity, had their videos played on Headbangers Ball ect., toured with many metal bands and have been included on countless top lists for heavy metal albums, songs, guitar riffs, singers, guitarists ect.

You can have your definition of metal. I have mine, which is broad genre with a very extensive history and countless sub-genres, trends, scenes ect.

Oh and you mentioned Back in Black, well, listen to "The End Of The World" by Dio, the riff is very similar, and I've heard other metal bands do riffs that were very similar, and Brian Johnson's vocals? That high-pitched screaming is similar to the style Udo from Accept sang in.

Last edited by ShaqAttack3234 : 04-14-2013 at 08:35 PM.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #21
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
That and...

Motorhead - Ace of Spades
AC/DC - Back in Black
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Led Zeppelin - Whole lotta love
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
Derik and Dominoes/Eric Clapton - Layla
Deep Purple - Smoke in the Water
Steppen Wolf - Born to be Wild

I like those songs, and I also like "In the Year of the Wolf" by Motorhead. That and "Ace of Spaces" are the only two songs that sound the most metal to me. The others are what I would categorize as hard rock.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #22
Heavincent
7-time NBA All-Star

Any metal or rock fan should listen to Crack the Skye by Mastodon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po7bmJv7nvU

Metallica is my favorite band, but Crack the Skye is every bit as good as Master of Puppets imo. It's right up there with all of the classics. Hell, even better than most of the classics if you ask me.

Dream Theater deserves a mention as well. Their most recent album was really good (the first album I've really liked by them since Train of Thought, which came out in 03). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1h5e6Le5wo
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

Quote:
That's because there was no such thing as metal when they started listening to music. The first time I think someone even tried to distort a guitar was Link Wray in 1958.

AC/DC was considered metal by many in their day when they were actually at the height of their popularity, had their videos played on Headbangers Ball ect., toured with many metal bands and have been included on countless top lists for heavy metal albums, songs, guitar riffs, singers, guitarists ect.

You can have your definition of metal. I have mine, which is broad genre with a very extensive history and countless sub-genres, trends, scenes ect.

Oh and you mentioned Back in Black, well, listen to "The End Of The World" by Dio, the riff is very similar, and I've heard other metal bands do riffs that were very similar, and Brian Johnson's vocals? That high-pitched screaming is similar to the style Udo from Accept sang in.
I feel like we're not debating about the same thing here. Do I doubt that they've been listed in metal band lists for years and that media has been calling them that for ages? No. Does that make it correct? Also no. Do AC/DC consider themselves metal? No. Do hardcore AC/DC fans laugh at the notion that they're metal? Yes (case in point, moi).

I know full well how much AC/DC have influenced metal bands for ages. I still remember Dave Mustaine's story about how he was shook to the core after listening to the Let There Be Rock album for the first time. But again, I'm not sure why that automatically makes them metal. Angus straight up copied Chuck Berry's duckwalk and the second guitar solo from Let There Be Rock from a blues artist whose name escapes me, you'll never in a million years call them hard rock just because they influenced hard rock.

Again though, I've conceded that there is some of their stuff that is metal-ish.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #24
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I feel like we're not debating about the same thing here. Do I doubt that they've been listed in metal band lists for years and that media has been calling them that for ages? No. Does that make it correct? Also no. Do AC/DC consider themselves metal? No. Do hardcore AC/DC fans laugh at the notion that they're metal? Yes (case in point, moi)

A lot of metal musicians who are of a certain age resist the metal label. Lemmy from Motorhead has famously done this for years, and the next person I meet who doesn't consider Motorhead metal will be the first. Even Ozzy has resisted the metal label quite a bit.

Anyone who would laugh at the notion of AC/DC being metal has a VERY narrow definition of metal, and most likely, a very limited knowledge of the history of metal. And I don't mean merely have a difference of opinion. Many people who know a lot about metal from the 70's to the present don't consider AC/DC metal. They're one of the bands that seems to be borderline with many considering them and many not considering them. But laughing at them being called a metal band does suggest a really limited knowledge of early metal, and what was considered 70's metal, or even into the early 80's.

Quote:
I know full well how much AC/DC have influenced metal bands for ages. I still remember Dave Mustaine's story about how he was shook to the core after listening to the Let There Be Rock album for the first time. But again, I'm not sure why that automatically makes them metal. Angus straight up copied Chuck Berry's duckwalk and the second guitar solo from Let There Be Rock from a blues artist whose name escapes me, you'll never in a million years call them hard rock just because they influenced hard rock.

Purely be influential to a genre doesn't make you that same genre, but when you're called it for years, associated with a number of bands who virtually nobody doubts is metal and fit most of the defining characteristics(Loud, distorted guitars and riff-driven music combined with high-pitched, screaming vocals) then it's pretty easy to see why they differ from someone like Chuck Berry.

Oh, and a bluesy guitar solo means very little. Almost all rock guitar solos of all the sub-genres in the 70's were based on the blues, and many much later on. There were a few exceptions such as Ritchie Blackmore, Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker, but for the most part, it was still very much blues based.

What genre would you consider AC/DC? Of course, in the general sense, they're a rock band, but I mean sub-genre?

By the way, I was surprised to see you mention Annihilator. Not a band that casual metal fans usually listen to. I liked quite a bit of their stuff. Didn't like the singer, but I really liked Jeff Waters guitar parts(both rhythm and lead)
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
travelingman
Rules #2 dont give fk*

Any Children of Bodom fans here? And if so, which did you like better, "Are you dead yet" or "blooddrunk"?
travelingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman
Any Children of Bodom fans here? And if so, which did you like better, "Are you dead yet" or "blooddrunk"?

needled 24/7.

But no mention of Between the Buried and Me? Excellent band. Check out the album "colors", really good intro into the type of stuff they do. Def. my fave metal band.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Children of Bodom is the most metal band mentioned so far and it isn't close. Alexi Laiho is a beast.

Colors is really cool, definitely an album to listen to from beginning to end. It all ties together. This one is the best:

White Walls, BTBM

Last edited by Velocirap31 : 04-15-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #28
travelingman
Rules #2 dont give fk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
needled 24/7.

But no mention of Between the Buried and Me? Excellent band. Check out the album "colors", really good intro into the type of stuff they do. Def. my fave metal band.

I was meaning the albums, but nevertheless I love that song too! Oh and Angels don't kill as well. Can't wait until their new album comes out in summer. Relentless reckless forever had several good tracks too (I loved shovel knockout!).
travelingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #29
Overdrive
Local High School Star

Quote:
I feel like we're not debating about the same thing here. Do I doubt that they've been listed in metal band lists for years and that media has been calling them that for ages? No. Does that make it correct? Also no. Do AC/DC consider themselves metal? No. Do hardcore AC/DC fans laugh at the notion that they're metal? Yes (case in point, moi).

Again though, I've conceded that there is some of their stuff that is metal-ish.

I don't think they're metal, but we categorize bands
on our musical experience and in the 70s there were no extreme genres of metal. The hardest band when let there be rock came out where DiAnno Maiden, Priest and Sabbath. In hindsight AC/DC are hard bluesrock but if you had to compare them to Humble Pie or Priest they're definately closer to the latter.

Would you call Zakk Wylde's musuc bluesrock just because he uses pentatonic scales for his solos?

OT: if you enjoyed prepop In Flames you should check out At the Gates, Arch Enemy and Carcass' Heartwork. I don't listen to metal that much anymore, but I still dig thrash. Testament, Exodus, Overkill, Nuclear Assault, Flotsam & Jetsam and early Sepultura are my favs aside from the big 4.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
chosen_one6
Earned not given

I can't believe no one has mentioned Lamb of God in this thread at all.

True American metal.

Also, check out Meshuggah, Machinehead, Killswitch Engage, and Bullet for My Valentine.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: