Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Jlamb47
Local High School Star

Jlamb47 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Robinson vs Ewing

not sure if this thread been made but my friend believes Patrick Ewing sh*ts on David Robinson and i feel as if David is better. Yals opinion?
Jlamb47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
daj0264
I am a love machine

daj0264 has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Robinson vs Ewing

Your friend is an idiot.
daj0264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Jlamb47
Local High School Star

Jlamb47 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj0264
Your friend is an idiot.
Lol i agree
Jlamb47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputation

Can y'all give reason why you guys chose Robinson? I'm just curious. I've watched both play and I feel that Ewing has better offensive skills than Robinson whereas Robinson was better on defense
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If I was drafting, I'd take Ewing... But Robinson was probably slightly better overall. Ewing just felt like he could anchor a team better and was more of a strong leader.

They played each other 14 times between 1990-1997. The Knicks won 6, Spurs won 8. They put up virtually identical numbers.

Ewing averaged:
22.6 ppg
11.4 reb
2.7 ast
1.4 stl
2.9 blk
3.6 to
4.1 fouls

43.5% fg
68.2% ft
0/1 3s

He played 38.1 minutes per game.

====

Robinson averaged:
25.6 ppg
10.2 reb
3 ast
1.8 stl
3.2 blk
3.6 to
3.7 fouls

51.8% fg
65.3% ft
0/2 3s

He played 38.4 minutes per game.

------------------------------------------------

It should be noted that Robinson was given 147 free throws to Ewing's 66. That's pretty absurd.

FG% is the only statistically significant difference between the two head to head, and I'm sure Ewing deserved more free throws. He's a career 50+% shooter and I doubt Robinson's defense alone attributed to his 8% difference in FG%.

Last edited by ProfessorMurder : 04-16-2013 at 05:12 PM.
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
If I was drafting, I'd take Ewing... But Robinson was slightly better. Ewing just felt like he could anchor a team better and was more of a strong leader.

They played each other 14 times between 1990-1997. The Knicks won 6, Spurs won 8. They put up virtually identical numbers.

Ewing averaged:
22.6 ppg
11.4 reb
2.7 ast
1.4 stl
2.9 blk
3.6 to
4.1 fouls

43.5% fg
68.2% ft
0/1 3s

====

Robinson averaged:
25.6 ppg
10.2 reb
3 ast
1.8 stl
3.2 blk
3.6 to
3.7 fouls

51.8% fg
65.3% ft
0/2 3s

It should be noted that Robinson was given 147 free throws to Ewing's 66. That's pretty absurd.

FG% is the only statistically significant difference between the two head to head, and I'm sure Ewing deserved more free throws. He's a career 50+% shooter and I doubt Robinson's defense alone attributed to his 8% difference in FG%.

Bolded
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
Bolded

I just deleted the word doc I was gathering the stats in so I don't have the raw numbers anymore, but it's even more insane when you hear that they had taken virtually the same amount of shots.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

David Robinson was better than Patrick Ewing....but id rather build a team around Ewing(assuming both will be healthy).

I dont think David cared nearly as much and that....matters.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
David Robinson was better than Patrick Ewing....but id rather build a team around Ewing(assuming both will be healthy).

I dont think David cared nearly as much and that....matters.

Agreed. Robinson was too religious in my opinion. He just couldn't be mean enough, and probably thought God had a plan for things so it was out of his hands a bit. (Not that I'm hating on religion or anything)

Like look at the way that Rodman became a scapegoat during his time their. I believe in some special (Beyond the Glory?) Rodman talked about how Robinson wouldn't talk to him but bitch to the media.

Dude just wasn't a strong leader.

Ewing tried to hold people accountable, like what he and Oakley did to Starks after the headbutt on Reggie. That's a big difference.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
If I was drafting, I'd take Ewing... But Robinson was probably slightly better overall. Ewing just felt like he could anchor a team better and was more of a strong leader.

Ewing averaged:
22.6 ppg
11.4 reb
2.7 ast
1.4 stl
2.9 blk
3.6 to
4.1 fouls

43.5% fg
68.2% ft
0/1 3s

====

Robinson averaged:
25.6 ppg
10.2 reb
3 ast
1.8 stl
3.2 blk
3.6 to
3.7 fouls

51.8% fg
65.3% ft
0/2 3s

Not really. Patrick Ewing's game was shooting turn around jump shots. You aren't going to get fouled much doing that. Robinson on the other hand played mostly face up and was driving at the rim as pretty much no Center could stay in front of him so he was always fouled. He's one of the few centers who averaged a lot of ft's because he was so hard to stop getting to the rim and not because he was a bad ft shooter.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
jzek
EL LO BEE

jzek has decent reputationjzek has decent reputation

Robinson would kill Ewing. Everytime.
jzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
TheTenth
Kids at the park dunk on me

TheTenth has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Agreed. Robinson was too religious in my opinion. He just couldn't be mean enough, and probably thought God had a plan for things so it was out of his hands a bit. (Not that I'm hating on religion or anything)

Like look at the way that Rodman became a scapegoat during his time their. I believe in some special (Beyond the Glory?) Rodman talked about how Robinson wouldn't talk to him but bitch to the media.

Dude just wasn't a strong leader.

Ewing tried to hold people accountable, like what he and Oakley did to Starks after the headbutt on Reggie. That's a big difference.
Not that it was all Rodman's fault (or anyone's for that matter) but Rodman was basically chasing after and ripping rebounds from teammates' hands that whole series. Rodman wouldn't even guard Horry on the perimeter. Still that shouldn't have been anything new to the team and the coach handled things very wrong.
TheTenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
Can y'all give reason why you guys chose Robinson? I'm just curious. I've watched both play and I feel that Ewing has better offensive skills than Robinson whereas Robinson was better on defense

Ewing was probably a better scorer but that's it. Robinson had a more complete game.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
wakencdukest
Local High School Star

wakencdukest has decent reputationwakencdukest has decent reputation

They're about dead even to me. I really liked Ewing's game at Georgetown and then when he entered the league, but about halfway through his career he became a primarily a jumpshooter, no longer attacking the rim. I liked Robinson's game a little better, but It could go either way. I personally liked Olajuwon and Shaq better than both.
wakencdukest is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: