Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Svendiggity
Great young streetballer

Svendiggity has not been impressing people
Default The guy who starts fights at the park

This guy was a tall jock kid, probably 18 or 19 years old. 6'3'' 175 or so and could dunk.

I'm 25 years old 5'11'' 155 and can barely touch the rim on a good day.

He was very arrogant and whenever someone would stop his drive he'd hold the ball low in the paint for 5 seconds or more and then try to go up for a lay-up. He would complain about weak fouls so I said something like "I'm not just going to let you hold the ball in the paint forever and then go up for layups." He said he was going to fight me. He kept doing things on the court that pissed people off, even his teammates were getting frustrated because his trash talk with me was throwing his game off while I kept my cool and kept playing my game.

One play the ball was on the floor and we both went for it and had equal control but instead of giving up (like he thought I would) I kept fighting for it. we fought for the ball for 15 seconds it seemed like and I ended up with the ball. This really pissed him off. He pushed me and I said "just play ball". When he checked the ball to me he threw it at my chest as hard as he could and went down to the other end for a layup (we didn't count the bucket obviously) I had no reaction to any of his bullshit, kinda like Kobe when Matt Barnes faked a pass at his face. Anyway, I hit the game winning three and we beat them. I still said nothing after I hit the shot even though I wanted to.

Just thought I'd share my story and see how you guys would have reacted if you were me or one of my teammates. It's annoying that people play like that. What can you do about people like this? It seems like I run into one or two every Sunday.
Svendiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
iamgine

iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: The guy who starts fights at the park

Trash talk is fine but a push and throwing the ball? I'd just stick my foot out so he gets injured. Easy way to clear annoyance.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
stevieming
Serious playground baller

stevieming has an OK reputation so far

Depends on how much you hate them.

If you really hate them, bruce bowen them, a sprained ankle soon gets them off the court...I have never done it but trust me I have thought about it, especially with the guy who chipped my front tooth by shoulder barging me.

If I had hit that three, I would have been all up in his face....

I have had people wanting to fight me because I trash talked them too much and backing it up by scoring on them repeatedly.....

But most of the time, it's all good banter and fun....
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I let my play do the talking.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

everyone trash talks, but its only the ones that take it seriously that it affects.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Svendiggity
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
I let my play do the talking.

I'm usually the same way but sometimes my team has won three straight, our legs are tired, we're down a few buckets and we've mentally checked out. So I'll try to make a good hustle play; like an offensive rebound and a layup. Then I'll say something like "get out of here f*ckin b*tch." not directed at anyone. Stuff like that raises peoples spirits, especially when the little white point guard does it.

Anyways, most people will come up to me after the game and say "good game little man." but there's always someone that doesn't realize that shit talking is part of the game and they ignore my handshake after the game.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
mr beast
BEAST

mr beast has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svendiggity
This guy was a tall jock kid, probably 18 or 19 years old. 6'3'' 175 or so and could dunk.

I'm 25 years old 5'11'' 155 and can barely touch the rim on a good day.

He was very arrogant and whenever someone would stop his drive he'd hold the ball low in the paint for 5 seconds or more and then try to go up for a lay-up. He would complain about weak fouls so I said something like "I'm not just going to let you hold the ball in the paint forever and then go up for layups." He said he was going to fight me. He kept doing things on the court that pissed people off, even his teammates were getting frustrated because his trash talk with me was throwing his game off while I kept my cool and kept playing my game.

One play the ball was on the floor and we both went for it and had equal control but instead of giving up (like he thought I would) I kept fighting for it. we fought for the ball for 15 seconds it seemed like and I ended up with the ball. This really pissed him off. He pushed me and I said "just play ball". When he checked the ball to me he threw it at my chest as hard as he could and went down to the other end for a layup (we didn't count the bucket obviously) I had no reaction to any of his bullshit, kinda like Kobe when Matt Barnes faked a pass at his face. Anyway, I hit the game winning three and we beat them. I still said nothing after I hit the shot even though I wanted to.

Just thought I'd share my story and see how you guys would have reacted if you were me or one of my teammates. It's annoying that people play like that. What can you do about people like this? It seems like I run into one or two every Sunday.

this is very mature of you, i think "exceptional" few young players go through that arrogant and fight picking stage, people will mature as they progress and usually happens to players who never played organized ball

hats off to you, great sportsmanship
mr beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Throwing the ball at a player on a check is kind of hilarious. That's third grade status. My little brothers and I have joked about doing that for years because the notion of actually doing something like that is just so ridiculous.

Quote:
Then I'll say something like "get out of here f*ckin b*tch." not directed at anyone. Stuff like that raises peoples spirits, especially when the little white point guard does it.
Haha, I don't necessarily have an issue with what you say, but do think it really raises the spirits of the people around you? I'd understand teammates being pumped about you grinding inside for a strong basket, but I have a tough time imagining teammates feeding off of name calling.

Then again, I recognize every court and atmosphere is different, so maybe that's just something that wouldn't work in my area but would elsewhere. In my spot, I'm not sure anyone takes something like that very seriously. If anything, a player's own teammates are likely to tell a dude to chill a little bit if they start saying things like that.

I still remember this time a fellow made a slow move from the perimeter, truck sticked me, fired this weird off balance 14 footer that hit every part of the iron and fell. Being his first hit after numerous poor attempts, he said, in a serious voice, "This is a man's game." Everyone's face twisted in a, "Wait, is he serious?" manner. But he was. He was dead serious, and it was bizarre.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
TSFP
Can barely lace up my sneakers

TSFP has an OK reputation so far

lmao dude sounds weak
TSFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat cool

i woulda marshall henderson'd his ass

aka i would have gave him the finger and danced in his face after the shot.

i get into fights a lot too, cuz sometimes i take the game too seriously. but after the game if i know i went too far, i apologize and make sure i go up to the guy and say my bad and tell him sometimes i take the game too seriously. i like to win

ball is ball, i fight often on the court. even with my very good friends. but when im done with ball, im really nice.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
Svendiggity
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
i woulda marshall henderson'd his ass

aka i would have gave him the finger and danced in his face after the shot.

i get into fights a lot too, cuz sometimes i take the game too seriously. but after the game if i know i went too far, i apologize and make sure i go up to the guy and say my bad and tell him sometimes i take the game too seriously. i like to win

ball is ball, i fight often on the court. even with my very good friends. but when im done with ball, im really nice.

sounds just like me lol. I'm TOO serious sometimes

Last edited by Svendiggity : 04-19-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #12
Svendiggity
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I still remember this time a fellow made a slow move from the perimeter, truck sticked me, fired this weird off balance 14 footer that hit every part of the iron and fell. Being his first hit after numerous poor attempts, he said, in a serious voice, "This is a man's game." Everyone's face twisted in a, "Wait, is he serious?" manner. But he was. He was dead serious, and it was bizarre.

Hahaha I love when whack players do that though. At least he was trying.. I guess. lol

Last edited by Svendiggity : 04-19-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #13
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

To me trash talking is the worst part about basketball. I do take trash talking seriously. I don't see it as being "part of someones game," if you're calling someone names on the court that's no different than doing it anywhere else. And if you did that at the bar you'd expect the other person to swing at you, no?

I don't play with people who talk trash because I know I will end up fighting them, and I really prefer not to fight. So to me the best thing to do is just remove myself from the situation and never play with those players again. Even mid game, I will leave if someone is talking trash. When I was younger I let my anger get the best of me in those situations, and now being in my 20's I have more of a level head to just get out of there.

I'm no tough guy by any means, but to me trash talking is unacceptable on the court. It might be because where I'm from, it seems the only players that seriously trash talk are the wanna be gangsters and dick heads. It's never like, "oh, I'm only playing, that's just part of my game." It's the people who really are running their mouths, on a more personal level.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #14
Svendiggity
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
To me trash talking is the worst part about basketball. I do take trash talking seriously. I don't see it as being "part of someones game," if you're calling someone names on the court that's no different than doing it anywhere else. And if you did that at the bar you'd expect the other person to swing at you, no?

I don't play with people who talk trash because I know I will end up fighting them, and I really prefer not to fight. So to me the best thing to do is just remove myself from the situation and never play with those players again. Even mid game, I will leave if someone is talking trash. When I was younger I let my anger get the best of me in those situations, and now being in my 20's I have more of a level head to just get out of there.

I'm no tough guy by any means, but to me trash talking is unacceptable on the court. It might be because where I'm from, it seems the only players that seriously trash talk are the wanna be gangsters and dick heads. It's never like, "oh, I'm only playing, that's just part of my game." It's the people who really are running their mouths, on a more personal level.

I can see where you're coming from. Sometimes when I talk on the court I feel like a complete ass. Although, most times for me it's more about understanding the emotions of all the players on the court. I've had guys come to me and tell me I was pumping them up when I was saying things like "take the game over, Jeff. They can't stop you." Most the talking I do is for my teammates. When I can tell someone is taking the talk personal I try to calm the situation down. But I'll be honest, it's something I have to get better about. I'll never be able to stop talking on the court because I'm a natural leader, it's just in my nature. I just have to be better about saying the right things.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #15
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from. Sometimes when I talk on the court I feel like a complete ass. Although, most times for me it's more about understanding the emotions of all the players on the court. I've had guys come to me and tell me I was pumping them up when I was saying things like "take the game over, Jeff. They can't stop you." Most the talking I do is for my teammates. When I can tell someone is taking the talk personal I try to calm the situation down. But I'll be honest, it's something I have to get better about. I'll never be able to stop talking on the court because I'm a natural leader, it's just in my nature. I just have to be better about saying the right things.

I look at basketball as a fun hobby. I take the competition (very) seriously but at the end of the day it's all about having fun, working on my skills, and enjoying the game. Some people, especially teenagers, are always looking for trouble and trash talk is usually the first sign of that. Next thing it's hard fouls and playing too rough, and next thing it's someone throwing a swing. I've seen this happen many times, and each time it starts with trash talk. For me.... I ain't got time for that.

That being said, I play with and love playing with some trash talkers. You can tell when some guys are just being funny/cool about it, and I don't put those guys in the same category as the others. But overall, unless it's someone I know, I prefer the only talk to be relating to the game.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: