Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #211
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

"They promoted me to coach," Gordon Hayward said.

Don't worry, fans. He was joking.

Hayward will still be a Jazz wing this upcoming season, but he decided to swing down and attend the summer league in central Florida to meet his new teammates and support buddies Jeremy Evans and Alec Burks.

"We've got a young group of guys," Hayward said, "and I want to be a part of that just to grow with them and see how they do."

The move an appreciated one by Jazz management makes it apparent that Hayward took it to heart when he was challenged to take on a bigger leadership role during exit interviews in April.

Hayward, now the longest-tenured Jazz player after Paul Millsap's announced departure to Atlanta, arrived Saturday and will be in Orlando with his team through Tuesday as he continues to prepare for the Team USA minicamp he'll participate in this month with teammate Derrick Favors.

"(It's) tremendous to see him here with his teammates," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "It's good for them to see and it's good for him to be around his teammates."

Turns out, Hayward also got the chance to be around his former coach, whose new team is also playing in Orlando this week. He laughed when asked about seeing Boston's new head coach, Brad Stevens, sporting a Celtics logo on his shirt.

"It was weird. I saw him sitting on the bench across from me, waved to him," Hayward said. "It's a heck of an opportunity for him. I'm extremely excited. I think it came out of left field kind of for everybody. I went out to lunch with him (not long ago) and was talking about his team next year at Butler. Now he's in the NBA. It will be fun competing against him."

Stevens reportedly signed a six-year deal worth $22 million. Hayward will make $3.45 million in the final year of his rookie contract.

GAME RECAP: Dionte Christmas led the Jazz to a 69-59 victory over the Miami Heat's summer squad one that didn't include LeBron James or Dwyane Wade by scoring 14 points off the bench Sunday on the Magic's practice court at the Amway Center.

Third-year Jazz guard Alec Burks scored 10 points and looked very strong before leaving with a mildly sprained left ankle in the second quarter. Guard Chris Roberts (11 points) and rookie center Rudy Gobert (six points, four rebounds, three blocks) also had solid outings for Utah.

The 7-1 Gobert made it difficult on the Heat offense. The Jazz coaching staff liked his aggressiveness, his defensive quickness and the work he did on pick-and-rolls.

"I'm very impressed with him," Jazz assistant Sidney Lowe said. "We were very pleased with Rudy's performance today."

The Jazz picked up six points three for winning the game and one apiece for winning the first three quarters.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #212
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The Golden State Warriors are in advanced discussions on a three-way, sign-and-trade scenario centered on delivering a trade exception and Utah Jazz free agent Randy Foye to the Denver Nuggets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Yahoo! Sports

In the deal, which could be finalized on Monday, Denver would sign-and-trade forward Andre Iguodala to Golden State for the four-year, $48 million contract he had agreed to sign with the Warriors. This would create a $12 million trade exception that the Nuggets would have a full year to use before it expires. Utah would sign-and-trade Foye to Denver on a three-year, $9 million deal, with a team option on the third season, sources said. Yahoo! Sports

What do the Jazz get other than getting rid of Foye?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #213
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Yet another player from last year's Utah Jazz team is heading elsewhere. The Jazz will ship shooting guard Randy Foye to Denver and receive a 2018 second-round pick from Golden State in a three-way deal, a source confirmed to the Deseret News. Deseret News

Andre Iguodala will be involved in this three-way deal, as he'll be signed by Denver and sent to Golden State. Deseret News

I'm assuming this is one of the 3 they were already getting not a 4th 2nd rounder?

So Mo and Tinsley are thw only to left right? Both of which are still in play last I heard. They definitely need a vet after Burke's debut.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #214
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Marc Stein: In search for backup PG, Utah has turned attention to John Lucas. Raps ex spotted huddling today at Orlando Summer League w/Jazz officials Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Bill Oram: I can confirm Jazz officials were speaking with John Lucas III today at summer league. No idea whether that means a deal's forthcoming. Twitter @tribjazz

That better be for the 3rd pg guard spot. He's not back-up or starter unless you want to be even more obvious about the tank.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #215
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Free agent guard Raja Bell worked out for the Knicks in New York on Monday and stood out to the point where he could receive consideration for a roster spot, a league source told RealGM. The Knicks have been intrigued by the outside shooting and defensive versatility that Bell is known for, and they invited him into their facility on Monday. In the workouts, Bell shot well and outplayed New Yorks incoming rookies in one on one drills, a source said, leaving the Knicks surprised given Bell sat out the entire 2012-13 season. RealGM
Old 07-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #216
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Bill Oram: Sources confirm that, yes, John Lucas was in Orlando yesterday to meet with the Jazz. He has interest from four teams. Twitter @tribjazz
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #217
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
SUMMER NOTES: The Jazz had a bye Monday but will resume their five-game schedule Tuesday at 1 p.m. MDT (NBA-TV). Injury update: Guard Alec Burks (mildly sprained left ankle), small forward Tony Gaffney (right adductor muscle tendinitis) and guard Jerel McNeal (right knee mild MCL sprain) are doubtful Tuesday. Alex Jensen, who's been hired as a Jazz player development coach, will be the head coach of the D-League Select Team that will participate in the upcoming Las Vegas Summer League. Jensen earned D-League coach of the year honors last year with the Canton Charge Familiar names on that D-League team include Elijah Millsap (Paul's brother), ex-Jazz player Kyle Weaver and 2012 fall camper Darnell Jackson. Guard Nick Covington, who helps coach the Utah Prospects' 15-under team, is also on that squad.

I'd like to see Elijah Millsap in fall camp.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #218
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Free-agent guard John Lucas III met with Utah Jazz executives on Monday in Orlando, but the two sides have not reached a deal. "John has started the process of meeting with teams who have an interest in him," Lucas' agent, Bernie Lee, told USA TODAY Sports in a text message. "He has his next meeting set for tomorrow back home in Houston. John hopes to make a decision by the end of the week."

USA Today Sports
Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #219
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Rick Bonnell: Kemba Walker on Bobcats adding Al Jefferson: "Was I excited? I almost shredded a tear. That's what we need." Twitter @rick_bonnell

I doubt he feels that way after he stands around watching Al with the ball.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #220
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Bill Oram: Neto says the Jazz have not bought him out of his ACB contract so hell likely play in Spain next season Twitter @tribjazz

Bill Oram: Neto won't play today, says Jazz PR. But he's cleared to practice and available to play the rest of the week. Twitter @tribjazz

That's good news! What if he outplays Burke?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #221
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Trey Burke is making progress when it comes to his shooting at the Orlando Pro Summer League.

In his debut Sunday, the Utah Jazz rookie missed 11 shots.

In his second game Tuesday, the No. 9 pick only missed 10 field goals.

Media didn't get a chance to chat with Utah's young point guard after the team's 85-71 loss to Houston, but Jazz assistant Sidney Lowe didn't seem fazed by Burke's second poor shooting performance this time a 5-for-15 outing for 11 points.

"He's going to be a good player," Lowe said. "There's no need to worry about Trey Burke right now."

And for fans who might be a bit concerned after seeing him only dish out seven assists in two games while struggling with his shot?

Lowe smiled.

"We're safe," he said.

Burke showed some nice signs, beginning with a 3-point swish on the Jazz's first possession.

His other offensive highlights included a sweet lob for a Jeremy Evans dunk on a pick-and-roll play, a smooth crossover-step-back-and-jumper sequence, and a nicely executed fast break.

After the first trey, Burke seemed to be uncomfortable in the offense early but got into a better groove as the game progressed. Utah's offense never really got things going as it shot 37.7 percent overall.

"It's the summer league, and he's feeling his way through that," Lowe said.

The coach gave Burke, the national college player of the year, a reminder about being a targeted player because of his status as a lottery pick.

Lowe's advice:

"You have to come out and be the aggressor early. It's not college," he said. "The one thing is he's not going to get his head down. He understands that it's another game and we have to get ready for the next game."

Not much time to worry or work in between contests. Utah plays again Wednesday at 9 a.m. MDT.

TRADE UPDATE: The Jazz will receive a 2018 second-round pick from Denver, not Golden State, in the three-way deal that is sending former Utah shooting guard Randy Foye to the Nuggets.

That trade is expected to be made formal Wednesday when the NBA's moratorium ends.

The Jazz's other swap with Golden State will also be finalized. Utah will receive Andris Biedrins, Richard Jefferson, Brandon Rush, unprotected first-round picks in 2014 and '17, two second-round picks from the Warriors, and an undisclosed amount of cash.

PERMISSION GRANTED: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto, the No. 46 pick of the 2013 draft, received clearance from FIBA to participate with the Jazz at summer league. He dressed for Tuesday's game wearing No. 56 but didn't get to play.

Neto, acquired in a draft-day trade with Atlanta, has been observing the Jazz since the team started its minicamp in central Florida on Wednesday. He is now eligible to fully participate through Friday's finale.

Despite this development, it remains most likely that Neto will return to his Spanish team, Lagun Aro GBC, this season before pursuing his NBA career with Utah.

GAME RECAP: Shooting guard Alec Burks also had a rough night shooting but managed to score a team-high 18 points in the Jazz's loss to Houston. The third-year veteran also went 5 for 15 from the field, but he hit 8 of 9 free throws. Fourth-year Jazzman Evans had a good game with 10 points and a team-high eight rebounds. Michael Stockton, the son of John Stockton, scored seven points in eight minutes.

He looked more comfortable but has a long ways to go!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #222
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
As a second-year Utah Jazz guard, Alec Burks was burdened by discontentment and questions of just what was expected of him.

"Sometimes I wouldnt play," he said Tuesday. "Sometimes Id play 35 minutes, maybe Id be at the 1, maybe Id be at the 2, so just never knowing your role."

The Jazz finalized this week a three-way trade that will send Randy Foye to Denver and Kevin Murphy to Golden State as part of the previously discussed trade that will bring Andris Biedrins, Brandon Rush and Richard Jefferson to Utah. The Jazz will sign and trade Foye to Denver, while the Nuggets will sign and trade Andre Iguodala to the Warriors with a four-year, $48 million contract.

Foyes deal will be for three years and $9 million. In addition to the Golden State players, who all have expiring contracts, the Jazz will receive first-round picks from the Warriors in 2014 and 2017, two Golden State second-rounders, and the Nuggets 2018 second-round pick. The deal cannot be finalized until Wednesday, when the NBAs free agency moratorium ends.

Burks scored 18 points to lead the Jazz in an 85-71 loss to Houston at the Orlando Pro Summer League, his second summer at the event designed for developing players. But unlike last year, the No. 12 pick in the 2011 Draft wont go back to learning by observing. Ready or not, he will be a primary focus for the Jazz next season and will be expected to produce on the offensive end.

Even with the addition of Brandon Rush last week in a three-team trade with the Golden State Warriors and Denver Nuggets, Burks is the likely choice to start at shooting guard.

"Most of the time your team is looking for you to score in that position," Jazz assistant coach Sidney Lowe said, "and I think hes growing in terms of how to get there and hes learning how to come off screens, hes learning when to curl."

Burks has worked this summer with Jazz player development assistant Johnnie Bryant and brought back a noticeably improved jump shot. Through two games at summer league, he was 9 of 21 from the field, including a 4-of-6 performance in 10 minutes against Miami on Sunday. He left that game early with a mildly sprained left ankle.

A nice target for point guard Trey Burke, Burks could be sharing the backcourt with the touted rookie for years. At least thats the hope.

"I got to know him quick in the last week or so," Burke said. "I know where he likes the ball, I know where he likes to shoot. I know hes a really good shooter."

Burks became a key player for the Jazz when Mo Williams went down with a torn tendon in his thumb in December. Williams missed three months with the injury, making Burks valuable as a sub in the backcourt, but also as a part-time point guard.

As it stands, the Jazz have only Burke under contract at point guard, and through the first two games of the Summer League, Burks has at times taken on the responsibility of bringing the ball up the floor and initiating the offense.

"Going forward," Lowe said, "we dont know who were going to have on the team. We could have a couple of other point guards and that way hell be able to play more 2."

Burks said after last season, in which he averaged 7 points and had nearly a one-to-one assist-to-turnover ratio, that he wanted to return to the Jazz improved as a player and person.

"I feel like Ive grown up," Burks said. "About to turn 22. As a man, I feel like Im growing up."

Asked what he was doing to improve his game, Burks said, "Im here. Im here playing and getting better, learning the offense even more so I can play the point and the 2."

Notoriously competitive, Burks agreed his sophomore season in the NBA was a challenge, but that he never doubted himself. The notion of doubt being applied to Burks left Lowe nearly speechless.

"Alec is a very " Lowe said, "Hes a How can I put this? Hes got a lot of confidence in himself. And he doesnt get down on himself to where we would be concerned about it. Hell make a mistake, he may not like it, but he doesnt get down. Hes ready to come right back."

boram@sltrib.com

Twitter: @tribjazz

Remains to be seen if he is a big part of things with Jefferson, Rush and eventually Marvin in the mix. I think he needs to be. He and Kanter are the most natural scorers on the team right now.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #223
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Burke's debut in Jazz gear was, well, very 1-for-12 like.

If trading up with Minnesota to grab the highly touted point guard was the party, Sunday's game at the Orlando Pro Summer League felt like the next morning's cleaning reality check.

The 6-foot-1 guard, whom Utah obtained for the 14th and 21st picks after Minnesota drafted him ninth overall, finished with eight points with 11 misses, seven rebounds and five assists in this summer outing.

"Poor shooting, obviously," said Burke, a 6-foot-1 player who just couldn't get into an offensive rhythm while assessing his first Jazz appearance. "It wasn't my best game, below average to me, but we won so that's all that matters."

Jazz shooting guard Gordon Hayward, who observed from the bench, cracked a slight grin when asked about Burke's performance in Utah's 69-59 win over Miami.

"It's good to get that first one out of the way," Hayward said. "He didn't shoot the ball extremely well, but thats first-game jitters."

The Jazz aren't experiencing buyer's-remorse jitters.

In fact, the team has been quite impressed with Burke's performance, demeanor and effort since the Michigan product began training with the Jazz on Wednesday for a four-day minicamp leading up to this weeklong summer league.

"He's had a very good camp," Jazz assistant coach Sidney Lowe said after Sunday's game.

The Jazz coaching staff liked how Burke got the team into the offense, how he remained poised, that he only committed two turnovers in 32 minutes, and the way he constantly talked with teammates.

The shooting wasn't pretty, but Burke has pleased Utah brass with the leadership he's showing and his desire to improve.

"He's telling other guys where they should be. That's really impressive," Lowe said. "It's not a surprise. You can tell he's a point guard."

Though his shots nearly all clanged off the rim, Burke had one particularly sweet drive-and-dish late in the game that resulted in an easy bucket for Utah's other debuting rookie, 7-1 center Rudy Gobert (six points, three blocks). Jazz veteran Jeremy Evans was also the recipient of a Burke assist that led to a dunk.

"He's a good player works hard running the team," Evans said. "I think he's going to be great."

Hayward has seen enough from Burke since arriving in Orlando on Saturday to get excited for teaming up with him in the future.

"You can see when he's out there he's calm," Hayward said. "It didn't seem like he got rattled too much, and that's definitely a good sign."

Another good sign, according to the Jazz?

Burke's no-nonsense approach to learning all complexities involved in being an NBA playmaker.

"That position is so crucial that you can't let it define you by whether you're making shots or not. Youve got to do all of the other things. I think he'll be fine," Lowe said. "He's a serious young man something that I really didn't know (before minicamp). He's really serious about the game. He's serious about getting better, and he's going to get better."

Lowe also pointed out that Burke has been an excellent listener. While admittedly getting "a lot thrown at me this week" offensive sets, defensive calls, player preferences, coaches' wishes Burke is absorbing what Tyrone Corbin and his staff are telling him.

So far, he's been quick to apply the lessons learned.

This is a process that will need to be repeated many times for Burke to reach the All-Star level the reigning college player of the year is hoping to reach in his NBA career.

"I'm taking everything serious right now. I want to be as good as I can be. I want to unleash all of my potential at this level," Burke said. "I'm trying to listen a lot. I know I don't know everything when it comes to the mental game or the physical game, so I'm just trying to take as much in and try to implement it in to my game as much as possible."

That's why Burke and the Jazz weren't overly distraught about his offensive clunker from the field. In reality, who cares how many shots he made or missed in a summer league exhibition? The bigger question is whether or not he's making progress or will make progress toward being a capable point guard who can lead the Jazz into the future with the likes of Hayward, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Alec Burks.

"I feel like he's good player and is going to make us all better," said Burks after exiting Sunday's game with a mild left ankle sprain. "He draws defenses. That makes my life easier, Gordon's life easier, D-Fav and Enes' life easier. I like that about him a lot."

Less than two weeks into his Jazz career, and he's already getting chummy with the rebuilding team's old guys. Give Burke credit for being a smart 20-year-old.

Burke is also smart enough to realize a bad shooting night isn't something to fret over for too long. Next game's Tuesday, by the way.

"Its not all about scoring, especially in my position. I have to be a leader out there," Burke said. "I have to get guys going as well, just find ways to lead the team to victory. I felt like I did a solid job of that today."
Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #224
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Jody Genessy: Jazz center Rudy Gobert must return to France this summer to obtain a work visa, but he will not stay to participate with the national team. Twitter @DJJazzyJody
Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #225
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Chris Vivlamore: Hawks have officially signed Paul Millsap. #ATLHawks Twitter @ajchawks

Jody Genessy: Another source confirmed that Jazz center Rudy Gobert will have a minor ingrown toenail procedure after summer league. Nothing serious. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Thanks Paul!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: