Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 AM   #106
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

Quote:
Malone didnít make any promises.

He called Favors and Kanter "two of the most talented bigs in the NBA right now" but added, "If someone is looking for Karl Malone to come in and wave a magic wand, that ainít happening. These kids will be as good as they want to be. Itís up to them."

Malone has already started working with Favors. Kanter will join the sessions "probably in about a month," after he fully recovers from shoulder surgery. According to Malone, he will approach his new role as mentor "the same way I played ó with everything Iíve got."

Malone is concerned that his part-time return to the Jazz might be misconstrued as something more.

"Iím not going to be sitting on the bench," he said, "and Iím not going to be taking over any meetings. Weíll take some small baby steps and go from there. Ö I donít want to be a distraction."

Asked about his future with the team, Malone laughed and said, "At any given time, if itís not working out for the Jazz or myself, weíll be men about it and go on our way."

Who knows?

Perhaps Malone will end up helping former teammate Jeff Hornacek, who was named the new head coach of the Phoenix Suns on Tuesday.

Asked if Malone might be part of his new staff, Hornack said, "Karl always wants to coach. Iíll call him and see, but I canít ever imagine Karl ó after two weeks heíll want to go fishing. It would be great.

"I know heís going to work with Derrick this summer. Ö Iím happy for Derrick if he gets that opportunity. If Karlís making the rounds working with guys, Iíd love to bring him here to work with a couple guys."

Sounds like maybe they got it done before Jeff did!
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #107
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

The idea gained steam when Corbin came to Miller and asked to discuss the idea, Miller said.

In addition to teaching the big men body positioning and other technical tricks that he learned and honed in his long career, Malone can help the two youngsters develop the mindset needed to be stars, Miller said.

''He's always one that has been very tough mentally,'' Miller said. ''And when he talks about how he does that, it's pretty fascinating to hear his methods.''
Miller declined to speculate about Malone taking on a bigger role in the future, but didn't rule it out either.

''We don't want to rush into anything,'' said Miller, while adding, ''Anything that's out there that we think will helps us win more games, we're open to pursuing it. If things were to unfold with Karl where it was good for him and good for the organization, we would certainly put that in that category.''
Old 05-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #108
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Jazz power forward Derrick Favors' desire to improve was one of the impetuses leading to Malone landing a role he's lobbied for in the past. Favors, who turns 22 in July, reached out to management in hopes of receiving personal tutoring from The Mailman this offseason.

"You can't find too many better people to work with your bigs," Favors' agent, Wallace Prather, said. "I think it's great for everybody involved ó from Derrick, to Enes (Kanter), to Jeremy (Evans) to whoever else finds their way into the organization."

It is unknown how much time Malone will spend as a coach on Tyrone Corbin's staff, but while being interviewed on the side of the road with his hazard lights blinking "down in the country of Louisiana," The Mailman expressed excitement and a serious commitment. Malone used words like proud, happy and honored to describe his feelings about working with the Jazz again for the first time since he left Utah to join the Lakers in 2003.

"I think it's going to be a lot of fun," Malone said during the 1280 The Zone interview. "I know a lot of people are going to have a lot of questions about how much time it's going to take, but Ö I think we'll all have a lot fun with it. I'll be looking forward ó time and schedule permitting ó to working with the big guys."

As for the details, Malone said there aren't any specifics just yet. He travels to Utah a couple of times a month and hopes to work with the post players during those periods this summer.

"We haven't discussed nothing other than that I'll be coaching the bigs," Malone said.

Miller said the Jazz and Malone are in somewhat of an experimental mode, which is similar to Hornacek's previous role from 2007-11 as the team's shooting coach. Neither party is sure if this could lead to a more permanent position on the bench.

"Right now, our agreement is he's going to come in on a periodic basis and help our guys," Miller said. "If it develops into more than that, it could be a good thing."

Malone has already had a one-on-one workout with Favors. He's also met with Kanter, who continues to rehab from his April shoulder surgery and won't be able to go 100 percent until later this summer. Malone said he has and will keep in close contact with Corbin to shape the sessions and strategy.

Miller was impressed when he recently saw Malone work with the 21-year-old Favors. He could tell Malone had put in a lot of prep work, asked a lot of valid questions and effectively ran the workout.

"My expectations were high, but he exceeded them," Miller said. "It was just exciting for me to know that Karl was that committed to doing it. I was absolutely excited."

Favors also had a ball.

"He was ecstatic," Favors' agent said of his talented 6-foot-10 client, who'll join Gordon Hayward at their second Team USA mini-camp this July in Las Vegas. "He's looking forward to working with him and learning as much as possible from him. He hopes to be on that level some day."

Malone said it'd be "a waste" just to come in and try to work with Favors on his shooting. Rather, he hopes to fine tune "the little small nuances," such as working in the post, running the floor, putting pressure on smaller guys and getting out wide.

In other words, Malone added, "All the things that Jerry Sloan taught me."

I think his most valuable lessons came as a rookie with A.D. They were close and he certainly played a lot like him as the years went on.

Quote:
Malone, who still has an auto dealership in Draper, said his love for Utah has grown since the days he played for the Jazz from 1985-2003. Every time he returns and looks at the Wasatch Front mountains, Malone said he tells himself, "I miss this."

Malone added that the Jazz are "such a classy, storied organization," and admitted he took that for granted during his playing days. That's something he'd like to make sure his new pupils are well aware of while they're young.

"It just made a lot of sense from an organizational standpoint," Miller said, "to have one of the greatest players to ever play the game offer his services to our up-and-comers."

Malone's announcement comes a day after his former teammate, Hornacek, was hired to be the new head coach of the Phoenix Suns.

With only two full-time assistants on staff ó Sidney Lowe and Michael Sanders ó the search is on for Hornacek's replacement. Malone made it clear that he realizes he isn't an all-out assistant and that Corbin is the main man.

"I don't have all the answers," Malone said. "But I tell you what, I wouldn't mind sharing with these young kids my experiences that were positive as well as negative ó my shortfalls as a man that they don't need to do. It's not just about basketball."

When they were exploring this working relationship, Miller said he jokingly told Malone: "Karl, I know what your work ethic's like and our bigs are important to us, so don't kill them on the first workout."

Judging Favors' reaction, that didn't happen.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #109
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Could keep Favors and Kanter around and possibly bring in other guys. No where else will they get to work with the 2nd leading scorer of all-time.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #110
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The biggest question with Utah Jazz small forward Marvin Williams this offseason was whether or not he'd exercise the player option on his contract for the 2013-14 season. The focus now has turned to his health. Williams will undergo surgery Monday in Charlotte, N.C., to repair his right Achilles tendon and sore right heel, which caused him to miss some action this past season. According to the Jazz, the expected rehabilitation and recovery time for Williams is about six months. That would have the small forward back in action around the beginning of December, about a month into the regular season. Deseret News

So much for trading him before the season. At least he won't be getting minutes ahead of Burks, Hayward and hopefully Demarre(if he's back).
Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #111
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
INSIDER – Marvin Williams to have surgery

Posted on May 31, 2013 by David Locke

Utah Jazz announced today that Marvin Williams will have surgery on his right heel and Achilles tendon on June 3rd and be out an estimated 6 months.

Here is the impact of Marvin’s surgery.
1) Marvin will certainly opt in for the final year of his contract putting 7.5 million dollars on the Jazz salary.

Don't think there was ever much doubt about it after the season he had!

Quote:
2) Marvin’s on court role could have taken a significant change this season and still may. With the possible departure of Millsap and Jefferson Marvin could have become the Jazz 3rd big man. Marvin played the power forward a good deal in Atlanta and has the ability to stretch the floor. Marvin seemed more active whenever he played that role this last season.

Interesting. If he's fighting Jeremy Evans for the 4th big man minutes I might not have a problem with it. 3rd big man than they are definitely in tank mode and I can't say I'm ready to jump on that bandwagon as popular as it's become! He's not a good fit in their offense. He's a spot shooter. Foye too.

Quote:
3) The Jazz lose a good long defender for at least a month of the season. The Jazz had played 17 games by Dec 1st last year. It is reasonable to think the Jazz could miss Marvin for nearly a quarter of their games this next season.

They also lose a guy who sucked big time! Hopefully his expiring contract will be traded and he will miss all their games.

Quote:
4) This makes a tough call for the Jazz front office in two areas. In the front court when decided what do with Millsap and Jefferson or find replacements the Jazz will likely have to add two big men to the roster to be able to survive the first 20 games.

They need to be looking at a minimum 2 vets IMO. Millsap(Jefferson God forbid),Tomic(though technically he'd be a rookie) or someone else to start opposite Favors or Kanter. They need another to fight Evans for the 4th big man role which shouldn't be an everyday rotation role this year.

Quote:
5) At the small forward position this makes DeMarre Carroll an important re-sign for the Jazz. If Williams was going to play the small forward in the upcoming season those minutes needed to be filled for the portion he is going to miss.

He was important anyway. They played better with him on the floor. He could probably play some 4. I could see G playing some 4 someday when he matures physically.

Quote:
6) I am not sure it alters the Jazz draft day approach.

It shouldn't. They need a combo guard. Any other picks should be sf/big to develop overseas or in the D-League and insurance for G and Favors possible departures next summer.

Quote:
7) Lastly, Marvin is only out until Dec 1st (estimation) he will be a part of the roster for the other 75 to 80% of the season so any move to cover for Marvin’s injury then could be a logjam move once he is healthy.

He caused a logjam this year and better players sat because of him. He has to go or ride the bench.

Quote:
8) Ok 1 more, Marvin will miss all of training camp. If Coach Corbin is planning on instituting new system’s Marvin won’t be able to participate in those drills. However, Marvin is a smart player so he should be fine once he is healthy.

He wasn't fine this year!
Old 06-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #112
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Sounds like Bargnani might come with Toronto's 1st round pick. I'd want to wait and see what happens with Paul and what other options are available first but He'd be worth considering if they got rid of Marvin in the process. Only one more year on his contract. Better scorer than Okur. Not as strong on the boards and won't put a body on his guy but Okur was certainly not great at D or rebounding either. Maybe they can get Lowry in the deal too?

Dallas 1st is supposed to be cheap as well. Get it and package picks to move up possibly like Houston did last year.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #113
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

.Jody Genessy: Former Utah Valley/Oklahoma/CEU forward Nick Thompson tweeted that he'll work out for Utah Jazz on Monday. No announcement yet from Jazz. Twitter @DJJazzyJody
Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #114
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Here we go!

In preparation for the upcoming NBA draft, Indianaís Cody Zeller and Utah Valleyís Nick Robinson will work out for the Jazz on Monday morning at the teamís practice facility. The Jazz own the No. 14, No. 21 and No. 46 picks in the draft, which will be held on June 27.

Salt Lake Tribune
Old 06-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #115
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Two NBA teams have inquired about ex-Wolves assistant Eric Musselman as an assistant, but after Arizona State gave him a new title and nice pay raise, he said no thanks.

St. Paul Pioneer Press

Jazz? He'd be a good one.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #116
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Sounds like Bargnani might come with Toronto's 1st round pick. I'd want to wait and see what happens with Paul and what other options are available first but He'd be worth considering if they got rid of Marvin in the process. Only one more year on his contract. Better scorer than Okur. Not as strong on the boards and won't put a body on his guy but Okur was certainly not great at D or rebounding either. Maybe they can get Lowry in the deal too?

Dallas 1st is supposed to be cheap as well. Get it and package picks to move up possibly like Houston did last year.
That's an interesting proposition. Hard to tell what their new GM will think of Bargs, but it seemed like they were desperate to get rid of him and his contract. 3 man rotation of Bargs, Favors and Kanter would be pretty good on paper, would create plenty of match up problems as you've got the potential to have offensive players from the post to the 3 point line in your forward lineup. I guess again, it comes down to the same problem they had with Jefferson. Can you cover and are your other players good enough to make up for his defensive deficiencies?

Mavs pick, I reckon they'd try and package it with Marion to try and create more max FA money.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #117
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Wouldn't mind Marion. Another year on his deal? They should have traded AK for him back in the day when they had a chance.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #118
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Wouldn't mind Marion. Another year on his deal? They should have traded AK for him back in the day when they had a chance.
Yep, 1 more year at $9.3 million. S&T for Millsap or Jefferson? Mavs get Millsap/Jefferson on a 4 year $38/$45 million contract, Jazz get #13 + Shawn Marion.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #119
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Steve Luhm: Jazz player personnel guru Walt Perrin liked Zeller's athleticsim during his pre-draft workout. Twitter @sluhm

Of course. Surprised he even worked out for them. Unless they trade up they won't be getting him.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #120
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ticipants.html
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: