Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default 2012/2013 Official Game Comments Thread

Official Schedule

Preseason starts tonight vs the Washington Wizards.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Clutch
NBA Legend

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 2012/2013 Official Game Comments Thread

READY FOR THE NEW SEASON

Let's remember some moments from the last season:

New York Knicks - A season to remember 2012

New York Knicks Top20 Plays of the 2011-12 season

The Rise of the Knicks - get pumped up for the new season
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Going to the game tonight. I will try to do my recap of things I noticed. Anything anybody wants me to look for in particular?
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Clutch
NBA Legend

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Going to the game tonight. I will try to do my recap of things I noticed. Anything anybody wants me to look for in particular?
Sheed
Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Seconded. I have a need for Sheed.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I will be awaiting your updates fam.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just getting home. My lil one was up to greet me at the door to my surprise so needless to say I will have to postpone lol I'll do it 2moro morning at work. It was a funny night so this one should be fun. Got to meet Clyde Frazier and take a pic with him. That dude man lol Smooth as butter on a waxed floor. My man had some cowboy boots on. Anywho, I'll let you guys know what went down 2moro.

BTW, Sheed wasnt there. Neither was Brewer, James White, Chris Smith or Camby.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Ok guys so here it goes. Feel free to ask if there's anything you were curious about that you couldn't see on TV. Bare in mind, I watched the beginning of the 3rd on the TV in the Family Lounge. The had these chocolate chip cookies in there that were to die for lol

1. Despite a lot of skepticism, and rightfully so, I think Amare's injury might truly be something minor. He looked fine when I saw him. I don't think there is anything to worry about.

2. The young guys we brought in are TERRIBLE. Absolutely TERRIBLE!!! I don't expect anything out of any of them. The worst of them all was Mychal Thompson Jr.! Absolute SCRUB He's such a poor man's version of his little brother that it's ridiculous. He looked overwhelmed even on the layup line.

3. Raymond Felton is in shape *phew*. He looked quick, his weight looked where it should be and he seems to already be developing a repoire with Melo. They seem to gel well.

4. I think deep inside Woodson, and probably the rest of the Knicks front office, want Kidd to start but Felton's talent just won't justify it. Kidd looked old and crusty. He was walking like an old man before during and after the game. He just is NOT a starting caliber pg.

5. Steve Novak is scared on defense. If you could see his face when he defends guys, it's almost hilarious. He gets so nervous and antzy. He immediately wants to foul the guy and just get the play over with. I know he's become the folk hero of the Knicks, but if we're going to uphold Woodson's ideology of defense winning us games, he's going to have to be used sparingly or at least with a bunch of defenders on the court.

6. Kurt Thomas is OOOOLLLLLDDDDDD lmao. I know, we all knew that but seriously... Dude looks like someones grandfather. My boy who works with the Wizards said that one of the guys who work the court for the games was yelling "AARP!" everytime he passed by lol

7. Depth is going to be a big issue. Most of the guys who played last night probably won't make the team. I don't expect to see Shurna, Sims, Bellifield, Thompson or any of those guys on the roster. They just aren't very good. We need another player.

8. I'm not sold on Pablo Prigioni still, but I have to admit, he surprised me on defense. He has very quick hands. He's slow footed because he's old but he also is very fiesty on D. He picked a few pockets and he had ball handlers picking up their dribble and shielding with their backs...something you want to see for sure. It causes confusion, frustration and forces the opposing team to get into their offense later in the shot clock. It also causes their offense to have to send help and picks, which helps especially for teams with a low post presence.

9. Tyson Chandler is a hot head. I've said it before so I wont go into it but he needs to calm that down.

10. Melo is so effortless on offense. I think Trevor Ariza is a pretty good defender (and taller than I thought. He's actually taller than Melo). Melo was just doing whatever he wants to him. Same with Deng last year. Same with Battier and Miller in the playoffs. Same with Tony Allen the year before when we played Memphis. When Melo is going, NOBODY in the league can stop him. Period!

11. Did we get some new assistant coaches? The reason I asked is because I noticed a difference in our philosphies and sets on offense. To my surprise, we did a lot less pick and roll and a lot more down screens and curls. I thought it was actually very brilliant. If you guys remember, I suggested we go to a 1-4 high at times to throw a nice little wrinkle in things. I think this down screen method my actually be better. Instead of on the wings, we had the 3 a little further down toward the corner. It allowed for more spacing and now when Melo, Amare or whoever is curling off that down screen gets the ball, they are A. closer to the rim B. have the option to pass to the person they downscreened for originally and C. have the option to drive or pull up for a much shorter jumpshot. This is ALL created because of that spacing. With the 1-4 high and the high pick and roll, you always have to worry about the point guard's help. If you push those wings further down, now if the PG help comes, he's essentially leaving Felton (or whoever is playing PG) open for a top of the key shot of the ability to drive str8 down the middle of the D.

Sorry if that last point got too analytical. This may not be what they end up doing regularly and it might not be what they had in mind but I thought it was brilliant. I KNOW Mike didn't come up with that...which is why I asked.

I'll probably come back with more. I have to actually do some work a work now lol
Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Court Vision
#KnicksTape

Court Vision is considered somewhat coolCourt Vision is considered somewhat coolCourt Vision is considered somewhat cool

Some notes from Tommy D, The Knicks Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Dee, theKnicksBlog.com

Mychel Thompson- You’ve heard a ton about the kid here and this is the perfect opportunity to see where his development is at. The Knicks are in need of help at the wing in terms of offensive production and Thompson can slide in and be a pleasant surprise with his smooth jumper and ability to find seams in the defense. He’s got an NBA frame at 6’7 215 and shot 41% from three for Erie last season. Is he ready to contribute?

Thompson struggled with the pace of the game off the bat and never adjusted to get himself into a rhythm. He shots were quick and he never looked comfortable. Woodson sensed this and pulled him early in his rotations. Not surprising considering the pressure he must have felt with an opportunity, but no reason to give up on him yet. He needs to get comfortable with the speed of the game fast though.

Offensive Sets- Mike Woodson has talked about a combination of things offensively including keeping some sets that Mike D’Antoni ran along with some post entry looks. Expect to see some Melo at the 4 in the pick and roll surrounded by shooters with space, a D’Antoni staple, along with posting Melo at the block and trying to incorporate Jason Kidd, J.R. Smith and Steve Novak in spot shooting situations off double teams.

Some really good stuff, especially in the first quarter featuring plenty of space and ball movement. They ran a double stack screens to free J.R. on the left mid post for a pretty basket. Expect some old-school wrinkles to free spot shooters that’s a Larry Brown staple.

Defensive Rotations- You’ve heard me scream about it for years but I don’t want to see any switching on screens tonight. Play your man straight up and fight through screens. If they run a successful set with some ball movement I want to see aggressive close outs produced by proper rotations.

I thought the defense was very bad. Forget the 18-0 run in the second quarter, I’m saying from a rotation and screens perspective. Kurt Thomas was caught past the 3 point line hedging on a screen and couldn’t communicate help. Prigioni missed several assignments and Novak needs to do a much better job rebounding moving forward. At 6’9 only 2 defensive rebounds while playing a ton of minutes at the 3/4 is unacceptable.

Back Court Production- Specifically on offense, specifically made shots from 18-21 feet. They need to space the court if they are going to be post-heavy and the only way to achieve this is by skip passes, extra passing and catch and makes from the perimeter.

After a slow start Prigioni was terrific, especially off the ball. Obviously, the Knicks hit 18 threes but they did a great job as a group getting to the stripe 12 times making 10. I’m ecstatic to see that Prigioni is a spot-shooting threat and not just a one-dimensional pick and roll Euro guard.
Court Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

JR Smith looked great, as did Novak.

I think JR deserves the right to start till Shumpert gets back.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
JR Smith looked great, as did Novak.

I think JR deserves the right to start till Shumpert gets back.
Well he can't be any worse than Thompson. He played really well last night. Our whole offense was terrific except in the 2nd quarter when scrubs who aren't even D-League material played.
Knicks scored 38,29 and 26 points in the 1st,3rd and 4th quarter. That's an average of 31 points per quarter which means they would likely score around 120 points if the scrubs didn't get so much playing time.

Last edited by Clutch : 10-12-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Good report Franchize, much appreciated fam.

A few things i noticed during the game......

The starters were on a clear mission to set the tone early. They were determined to be efficient and to keep the Wizards to one shot and done.

From Melo doing work in the paint and from the wing, and Felton looking cat quick driving into the paint then kicking out, they are looking like they can be very cohesive.

It sure will be great to finally have a bench.

With Novak in the floor be space properly, and he wasn't just settling for his normal spot up threes, but needs some major defensive coaching.

JR seemed to have poise throughout the majority of his time, and for the most part wasn't a knucklehead on the court.

Kidd was pretty much the same player, steady not really forcing anything, and his turnovers imo were not his fault, imo.

Out invites....yuck, but it's only one preseason game, but god they all looked terrible.

Perhaps that was because they played alot of the time together, but i hope that changes in the next few games.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

After 1 pre season game the starters look fine but this bench is going to be pretty pathetic. The old guys look crusty and the young guys look overwhelmed. There is still time for it to change.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Court Vision
#KnicksTape

Court Vision is considered somewhat coolCourt Vision is considered somewhat coolCourt Vision is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
After 1 pre season game the starters look fine but this bench is going to be pretty pathetic. The old guys look crusty and the young guys look overwhelmed. There is still time for it to change.

'Sheed, Camby, Shumpert, Brewer and A'mare didn't even play. I don't know how you can say the bench is going to be pathetic.

Pre-season overreaction.

Prigioni looked good. Novak picked up right where he left off. JR Smith played very well. And Kidd and Kurt will both be fine in limited spurts.

And none of the young guys are expected to actually play/make the team.
Court Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Vision
'Sheed, Camby, Shumpert, Brewer and A'mare didn't even play. I don't know how you can say the bench is going to be pathetic.

Pre-season overreaction.

Prigioni looked good. Novak picked up right where he left off. JR Smith played very well. And Kidd and Kurt will both be fine in limited spurts.

And none of the young guys are expected to actually play/make the team.
Read everything I wrote dont be so fast to write moronic stuff.

Prigioni looked ok still a stiff. The old guys looked stiff. I dont think Sheed will look any different than a stiff.

Let me help I said its "1 preseason game...." "There is still time to change....."
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: