Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
retaxis
Local High School Star

retaxis has no real reputation yet.
Default Why do people say super athletic guards are the future?

Is it more beneficial to have a superstar atheletic guard like Westbrook or Rose then traditional methods? Whats the upside?
retaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
bmd
Local High School Star

bmd is a pretty well-respected posterbmd is a pretty well-respected posterbmd is a pretty well-respected posterbmd is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Why do people say super athletic guards are the future?

What do you mean what's the upside? They would be bigger, quicker, faster, and stronger than the other guards on the floor.

How is that not a huge advantage?
bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
retaxis
Local High School Star

retaxis has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd
What do you mean what's the upside? They would be bigger, quicker, faster, and stronger than the other guards on the floor.

How is that not a huge advantage?
I was unclear in my original post I meant as your franchise player.

I think a point guards role is not to do the job of other players like SG/SF whose job is to be slashers and dunkers. PG should not be super combo guards because that in effect puts a whole lot of strain and investment on a PG who will not be able to play that 'role' as effectively as a SG or SF.

I just can't see a franchise super athletic guard ever taking their team to a championship..
retaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

But how many championships have Westbrook, Rose, and AI won?

I genuinely like all those players and their at times surreal athleticism, but I also look at somebody like Tony Parker who literally never dunks (last one was about 7 years ago I believe) and he's one of the most accomplished PG's in the game. Some of the last winning PG's are what, Kidd, Chalmers, Fisher? etc

Case in point, in terms of physical abilities I think quickness and strength are more important at the PG position than "super" athleticism and crazy vertical. George Hill for instance is very long and athletic but that doesn't make him a great PG (not a bad player, but not the ideal PG). Plenty of examples of athleticism aint being all that.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

current rules favor perimeter players (pg,sg,sf)
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
But how many championships have Westbrook, Rose, and AI won?

I genuinely like all those players and their at times surreal athleticism, but I also look at somebody like Tony Parker who literally never dunks (last one was about 7 years ago I believe) and he's one of the most accomplished PG's in the game. Some of the last winning PG's are what, Kidd, Chalmers, Fisher? etc

Case in point, in terms of physical abilities I think quickness and strength are more important at the PG position than "super" athleticism and crazy vertical. George Hill for instance is very long and athletic but that doesn't make him a great PG (not a bad player, but not the ideal PG). Plenty of examples of athleticism aint being all that.

What? Tony Parker is a pioneer of this category.

Westbrook and Rose are similar players to Parker, only with crazy athleticism.

AI? Guy could've won on the right team. As a leader? Very flawed.

The truth is true pgs that make max dollars are going to be hard to win with. Your best player has to be an aggressive scorer, no matter what position.

Think about past pgs that have LEAD teams to rings...or even close.

Walt Frazier, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Parker, Billups. Kidd, Stockton, Nash, Kevin Johnson...etc were at their best and helped their teams the most when they were aggressive scorers. Rondo's problem in the regular season is that he's not aggressive enough, though in the playoffs he's one of the best players in the game because he turns it on.

It doesn't say much about the position, but it just shows that if you have a player absorb so much of your cap and is the primary player that you can rely on for scoring...he has to deliver.

The amount of pressure that these pgs put on your team can be ridiculous, and if you can get one then you will be in good shape. However, I don't know if I'd call any one thing/position the future. I'd say the future if anything, are these crazy hybrid SFs that can play positions 2-5 and be point forwards like Lebron, Melo, Durant.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
NBAller
Good High School Starter

NBAller has an OK reputation so far

Because they are. Guards that can run faster than everyone else and jump and posterize the big centers are a force to be reckoned with. Given they have good coaching and have at least some of the fundamentals down.

They'll command all that attention from defenders which will either set everyone up or himself up. If they don't, they fill highlight reels up.

Also sometimes it's good to already have the ball in the main players hands as you see LeBron does it, a Westbrookless Thunder does it with Durant, etc. Stephen Curry. It's also a simple way to avoid turnovers cause you dont have to worry about the pass being stolen from the denese when trying to get the ball in X players hands, cause it's already in their hands so all they have to do is work their magic.

quite simple actually
NBAller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: