Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #16
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
A lot of black people are trying to say Obama isn't black...

Why did I guess that a whole swag of black people would be saying he isn't black enough? FFS, anyway do they just forget what MLK said?

Seriously. Despite that article American black drone on all about "Desending from Africa" or "Retaking African heritage", yet when a guy comes along with a African dad they basically tell him he should **** off.

Also the salvery arguement is bollocks. Any black american alive has never actually experienced slavery.

But yet we have no recollection of our true heritage, which is a travesty in itself.

I'm a Obama supporter, and those "Real blacks" should shut the f*ck up and stop being behind hypocrite Hilliary. Obama tells it like it is, he doesn't BS his way through interviews or hide behind important issues. He isn't a religious activist and is for science like reasonable men should be. Also, I see he really would take us away from oil and move to alternate energies, a move that should have been done ages ago.

Is there somewhere he goes wrong? Maybe the time he tried Cocaine?
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #17
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Everybody knows W's done coke, so it would be insanely unethical for the republicans to use that to bash him. Only difference is that Barack is upfront about it. He's smart for putting his flaws out in the open so that nobody can be the first to "break" the story.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:03 AM   #18
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
But yet we have no recollection of our true heritage, which is a travesty in itself.

I'm a Obama supporter, and those "Real blacks" should shut the f*ck up and stop being behind hypocrite Hilliary. Obama tells it like it is, he doesn't BS his way through interviews or hide behind important issues. He isn't a religious activist and is for science like reasonable men should be. Also, I see he really would take us away from oil and move to alternate energies, a move that should have been done ages ago.

Is there somewhere he goes wrong? Maybe the time he tried Cocaine?

Actually he does say he's a Christian, he just doesn't try to be pious and fake with it. He also realizes America is not just a nation of Christians, but of Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, Mormons, Scientologists, atheists, agnostics, etc. And that's true, if America ever was just a Christian nation, democracy has changed that long time ago.

What's funny about that they're trying to make a big deal about his Muslim family background and the fact that he went to a Muslim school for a couple of years. His father, brother, and grandfather were Muslims, but his father turned athiest after while, a for a while Barack was an atheist as well as his mom.

So unless he was Muslim AND an extremist today, why should all this matter? It didn't matter for the Muslim senator in Minnesota, which by the way was another thing that was stupid. The one senator who was saying we need to improve immigration laws so that we don't have Muslims take over, what is that? Old boy was born in Detroit and was a descendant of slaves, and converted to Islam. No wonder people think Christians are ignorant.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #19
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

The Constitution says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

The US Senate, full of founding fathers, and the Adams government, approved the Treaty with Tripoli (now Libya) of 1797, which included this language:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Just a couple things before anyone tries telling you our government "was" a Christian government.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #20
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Our government was founded near the height of Enlightenment thinking, a time where rationality was favored over religious zeal. Being passionate about religion just wasn't normal at the time our country was founded.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #21
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
precisely my point.

I am a right leaning libertarian, so I view Barrack with wary eyes... but my point is as long as he is trying to make a concerted effort to appear President-like and truly reform himself, then he should be given a fair shot at the Oval Office.

besides... if he really did those atrocious acts, it boggles the mind why he is a frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.
Yes because the current Republican party is "against" big government (as we can clearly see from the last 6 budgets), so as a libertarian you should vote for them. How about you vote libertarian instead? http://www.lp.org/ Check out the valentines day special.

As a self proclaimed libertarian, I am suprised youcare about a candidates personal life issues that are not directly involved with their public duties.

I have to assume your last statement is in jest, surely a person as politically cognizant as you seem to be knows all this about our current commander in chief? This is all on the records, not issues like his military "service" for which there is no real documentation. Hes an admitted reformed cokehead and alcoholic and the business failings are very well documented.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #22
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

at this point I just can't wait to see how Obama loses.

I mean come on.. you don't really think this guy is gonna be president do you? of course not. he's obviously the best candidate, possibly since Kennedy.

the American people are clearly going to **** this up.

it's just a question of how.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
at this point I just can't wait to see how Obama loses.

I mean come on.. you don't really think this guy is gonna be president do you? of course not. he's obviously the best candidate, possibly since Kennedy.

the American people are clearly going to **** this up.

it's just a question of how.

Wow, I actually agree. No way are the small southern states going to vote for someone named "Obama", just not going to happen. And I think he's far too liberal, which will hurt him as well.

I'm not heavy into politics, but it isn't hard to see (from his speeches at least) that he's the best candidate out there. Good personality, cares for the people needs, and he just has this good "aura" about him. You can tell when a politician is full of shyt, and Obama might be, but he does a great job showing otherwise.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #24
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Wow, I actually agree. No way are the small southern states going to vote for someone named "Obama", just not going to happen. And I think he's far too liberal, which will hurt him as well.

I'm not heavy into politics, but it isn't hard to see (from his speeches at least) that he's the best candidate out there. Good personality, cares for the people needs, and he just has this good "aura" about him. You can tell when a politician is full of shyt, and Obama might be, but he does a great job showing otherwise.

I wasn't planning to vote in '08 but I recognize real people, and real people are worth voting for.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #25
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Why did I guess that a whole swag of black people would be saying he isn't black enough? FFS, anyway do they just forget what MLK said?

Seriously. Despite that article American black drone on all about "Desending from Africa" or "Retaking African heritage", yet when a guy comes along with a African dad they basically tell him he should **** off.

Also the salvery arguement is bollocks. Any black american alive has never actually experienced slavery.

I think these articles about what black people are supposedly saying is over stated very much....

People love to read some article and then take the idea and run with it...

I have read some of these articles and the people have good points...

Black people dont really know Obama to begin with...Just because Obama is running, doesnt mean black folks should be jumping on his bandwagon already...Lets see where he is coming from first.

Clarence Thomas and Condoleeza Rice are black too but they dont represent anything that most Black folks value so you wont see them get any support from the black community...

He isnt known by any of the established leaders in the community and people are just waiting to see what he brings....He isnt black in the sense that his upbringing and roots are very different from what American blacks go thru. so naturally , black folks will wonder if he is in tuned to what is important to black folks... I think he'll prove worthy to black folks very easily, but seeing white people fall all over the guy causes black folks to pause and take a wait and see approach... there is a history in this country of main stream society trying to pick our leaders and heroes for us by telling black folks who they should like and who they shouldnt...

Black people will wait and see if Obama is what he claaims he is.. Thats only fair... If blacks were already 100% behind him, people would criticize blacks for that too, so its a lose-lose situation when you consider the press has been (and will continue to) concentrate on the divisive and negative angles to these subjects.. the press is gonna OD on these "Will women vote black or female" or " Is Obama black?"

Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #26
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1

Black people dont really know Obama to begin with...Just because Obama is running, doesnt mean black folks should be jumping on his bandwagon already...Lets see where he is coming from first.

He isnt known by any of the established leaders in the community and people are just waiting to see what he brings....He isnt black in the sense that his upbringing and roots are very different from what American blacks go thru. so naturally , black folks will wonder if he is in tuned to what is important to black folks... I think he'll prove worthy to black folks very easily, but seeing white people fall all over the guy causes black folks to pause and take a wait and see approach... there is a history in this country of main stream society trying to pick our leaders and heroes for us by telling black folks who they should like and who they shouldnt...

Black people will wait and see if Obama is what he claaims he is.. Thats only fair... If blacks were already 100% behind him, people would criticize blacks for that too, so its a lose-lose situation when you consider the press has been (and will continue to) concentrate on the divisive and negative angles to these subjects.. the press is gonna OD on these "Will women vote black or female" or " Is Obama black?"

You should ask the political leaders on the Southside of Chicago ( a predominately black area) if Obama is black. That is his constituency, hes a regional politician just emerging on the national scene. He gets his hair cut on saturday at the Hyde Park Hair Salon just like the rest of them (or will till it closes anyways). He is integrated to a large degree into the Chicago black community. Anyone who says he is not black or involved in black community issues is ignorant.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #27
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Anyone who says he is not black or involved in black community issues is ignorant.

Like I just said, that isnt an issue

the issue is that most black folks arent familiar with this guy or his politics.. So, they are gonna take their time and let this thing play out a bit before they make any pronuncements about backing him or not backing him..Is he black like most African Americans? NO... But he's is plenty black enough for me...

Hillary Clinton has a good record among black folks.. She wouldnt be a bad choice herself... And personally Iam impressed with what Biden has to say about Iraq and what he thinks should happen over there(even though his comments about Obama were very ignorant)..I would consider voting for Biden based on his Iraq plan alone....

black community will back the person who has their interests at heart... If it is Obama, then so be it... But it could very well be Hillary or somebody else....just have to wait and see what each person is talking about

Like I said, Clarence Thomas is black too and yet he deserves no support from the community and gets none
Old 02-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #28
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
I think these articles about what black people are supposedly saying is over stated very much....

People love to read some article and then take the idea and run with it...

I have read some of these articles and the people have good points...

Clarence Thomas and Condoleeza Rice are black too but they dont represent anything that most Black folks value so you wont see them get any support from the black community...

It's certainly understandable that blacks would be cautious since whites love him so much. But honestly, I like him simply because he's fresh and in my opinion, one of the few true progressives. I was hyped like crazy for Ned Lamont. I think most progressives/liberals were. And he would have won if he had not taken the advice of the Washington insiders and toned down his anti-war rhetoric. And if the media had not allowed Lieberman to pull his whole "I've always been a critic of the war" schtick.

Quote:
the issue is that most black folks arent familiar with this guy or his politics.. So, they are gonna take their time and let this thing play out a bit before they make any pronuncements about backing him or not backing him..Is he black like most African Americans? NO... But he's is plenty black enough for me...

I think the right-wing media is going to find some way to play up every anti-"black" angle they can. They've already tried with all the "he's not slave black" stuff. Who knows, pretty soon they might be called him an "Uncle Tom" in between gasping breaths about how great Condoleeza is.

Quote:
Hillary Clinton has a good record among black folks.. She wouldnt be a bad choice herself... And personally Iam impressed with what Biden has to say about Iraq and what he thinks should happen over there(even though his comments about Obama were very ignorant)..I would consider voting for Biden based on his Iraq plan alone....

I don't really care for Hillary because of her close ties to AIPAC. It's like people goto AIPAC to give a speech and they can't help but hype up the threat of Iran. "Vote for me, I'll do the most that's in Israel's interest!" Edwards gave a speech recently to AIPAC that would make you scared.

Also, I think Hillary wants to have it both ways with Iraq. At least Kerry had the balls to stand up on the day of the invasion and say that Bush had misused his vote. Hillary was quiet as a mouse. Maybe she was scared because she's in New York and didn't want to offend her voters. Who knows?

Last edited by reppy : 02-15-2007 at 01:50 PM.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #29
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
It's certainly understandable that blacks would be cautious since whites love him so much. But honestly, I like him simply because he's fresh and in my opinion, one of the few true progressives.

Ive been watching him closely since he declared and you are absolutely right here.. He is fresh.. some people theorize that he is popular among whites because he doesnt bring the baggage of our history with him... but I see it and can feel it too. We have been bogged down with depressing news ever since september 11, 2001..Since Bush got took office, things have been very scary... Obama sort of makes you believe we could possibly come out of that coma with him as president.. He gives off hope... Its what has impressed me so far with his demeanor and the way he handles himself.

Quote:
I think the right-wing media is going to find some way to play up every anti-"black" angle they can. They've already tried with all the "he's not slave black" stuff. Who knows, pretty soon they might be called him an "Uncle Tom" in between gasping breaths about how great Condoleeza is.

OK I gotta do my negative black guy prediction and tell what I believe will happen....

1 of 2 things will happen with Obama....both of them tragic...

*He'll get smeared to death during his campaign..... OR
*He'll get murdered if/when he reaches office

he has that 'JFK' aura to him..not that I was around when JFK ran for president, but the stories told and from the clips Ive seen, people really trusted Kennedy and it broke people's hearts when he was murdered

Quote:
I don't really care for Hillary because of her close ties to AIPAC. It's like people goto AIPAC to give a speech and they can't help but hype up the threat of Iran. "Vote for me, I'll do the most that's in Israel's interest!" Edwards gave a speech recently to AIPAC that would make you scared.

Also, I think Hillary wants to have it both ways with Iraq. At least Kerry had the balls to stand up on the day of the invasion and say that Bush had misused his vote. Hillary was quiet as a mouse. Maybe she was scared because she's in New York and didn't want to offend her voters. Who knows?

Personally, I liked Hillary until recently... She seems to be playing the middle too close for my liking... I dont mind a politician being in the middle if that is where they really belong... But Hillary seems to have drifted there for her own benefit...

Like I said she has a good resume as far as black folks are concerned, but for me personally she wouldnt be my first selection as of right now... the AIPAC stuff just makes me more leery of her...

She flip flopped on the war, so her credibility has taken a big hit there as far as Im concerned..
Old 02-15-2007, 03:02 PM   #30
Cavs Fan
Kids at the park dunk on me

Cavs Fan has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
Obama tells it like it is, he doesn't BS his way through interviews or hide behind important issues.

If Obama is the guy who supports and backs the issues that are most important to you then by all means vote for him. But don't pull the wool over your eyes, and jocking some guy so hard that would make a Kobe groopie envious. Obama has already lied to the people of Illinois over and over again by promising that he would stick with them for all 6 years(he and Nick Saban must have gone to the same school of promises ), he has also lied or at the very least been dishonest about his alleged deep Christian roots and his father's wealth, and background.

Obama is no different than any other politician in terms of BS and "telling it like it is".
Cavs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: