Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
kennethgriffin
NBA rookie of the year

kennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: my problem with the Most Valuable voting system

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
OP isn't swaying anybody.

publicly admitting it is different that acknowledging it silently... i know i can do atleast one of these
kennethgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
fpliii
LA Lakers Est. 1960

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
there is no specific years i think they should have won. i'm saying there could have been a critera for them to have won many years

In that case, why do you care about the award? It has been voted on by the media since 1980-81. You have two options:

1) Ignore the award after 79-80.
2) Look at the Sporting News Player of the Year instead, which is voted on by players (at least through 2011).

Quote:
my personal opinion is that the mvp should go to a guy with the biggest impact/best stats out of anyone on a playoff team. 1-8 seed doesn't matter

I agree with the first part (though stats in a vacuum mean nothing to me), but you have to look at how your team performs. If individual ability doesn't translate to team success, how is that valuable? That being said, in some cases it's harder to succeed in one conference than another, or you could have an abysmal supporting cast.

Quote:
the point i'm trying to make is that the voters change their critera every year to vote for a new guy. now theyre just keeping it the same for lebron to win it every year.

Again, the media voters. As I said, either ignore the award after 79-80, or look at the Sporting News Player of the Year (voted on by NBA players). The media is fickle.

Quote:
i'm saying the media could have done that with other guys like wilt, ruth, jordan, kobe and made them all have way more mvps than they got

Bringing Ruth (and Griffey, and other players from other sports) is disingenuous. We're discussing basketball alone, and non-NBA leagues are irrelevant.

Quote:
if the heat fell out of the race and ended up 5th seed next year. lebron would win it based on numbers

Probably not, especially considering voter fatigue.

Quote:
if the heat were 1st place and lebrons stats dropped. he would win it based on record

Probably not. Again though, box score stats in a vacuum mean nothing

Quote:
if the heat barely made the playoffs and lebrons stats werent great. theyed say he had the biggest impact on his team and theyed be last place without him

I don't think that'd happen, but you can have impact without amazing numbers. Not talking about LeBron here. Fortunately, there are team level metrics to help quantify impact (team DRTG/ORTG, APM, RAPM, and other play-by-play level metrics, mysynergysports.com; NOT WS, PER, individual DRTG/ORTG or other shitty box score based metrics), but the eye test is very important as well.

Quote:
its just the media slapping meats together in a love fest over this guy

Again, ignore the media award. You have two options:

1) Ignore the award after 79-80.
2) Look at the Sporting News Player of the Year instead, which is voted on by players (at least through 2011).
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
asdf1990
College star

asdf1990 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
lol@lebron and nash having more MVPs then Shaq

I would love to hear your argument for shaq winning the award in other years besides 1999-2000
asdf1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #19
kennethgriffin
NBA rookie of the year

kennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this board

if the mvp was voted on the way it is now... "best player"

these people would have been mvp

1991 - jordan
1992 - jordan
1993 - jordan
1994 - hakeem
1995 - hakeem
1996 - jordan
1997 - jordan
1998 - jordan
1999 - shaq
2000 - shaq
2001 - shaq
2002 - duncan
2003 - duncan
2004 - garnett
2005 - garnett
2006 - kobe
2007 - kobe
2008 - kobe
2009 - kobe
2010 - lebron
2011 - lebron
2012 - lebron
2013 - lebron

so you see.. i'm not saying lebron shouldnt have 4 mvps. he has 4. he deserves 4. but those other guys got robbed
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
fpliii
LA Lakers Est. 1960

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
if the mvp was voted on the way it is now... "best player"

these people would have been mvp

1991 - jordan
1992 - jordan
1993 - jordan
1994 - hakeem
1995 - hakeem
1996 - jordan
1997 - jordan
1998 - jordan SHAQ
1999 - shaq
2000 - shaq
2001 - shaq
2002 - duncan
2003 - duncan /KOBE
2004 - garnett
2005 - garnett SHAQ
2006 - kobe /WADE/NASH
2007 - kobe /DIRK
2008 - kobe
2009 - kobe LEBRON/WADE
2010 - lebron /WADE
2011 - lebron WADE/DIRK
2012 - lebron
2013 - lebron

so you see.. i'm not saying lebron shouldnt have 4 mvps. he has 4. he deserves 4. but those other guys got robbed

Just my opinion. If I put a / in, either is fine.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
kennethgriffin
NBA rookie of the year

how is the mvp voting system discussion laker related?

its a general topic

mods

why'd you move it here?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #22
lebeast666
I Do This

lebeast666 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Lol this Lakers forum is ugly like the OPs hate towards LeBron. LeBron is just that good man, ya just gotta deal with it kiddo.
lebeast666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #23
kennethgriffin
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeast666
Lol this Lakers forum is ugly like the OPs hate towards LeBron. LeBron is just that good man, ya just gotta deal with it kiddo.

another idiot

i didn't say lebron wasnt that good

if you saw my posts and actually took the time to read them you'd see that i am quoted saying he deserves 4 mvps... i'm saying the voting system is flawed and other players were robbed
Old 05-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
lebeast666
I Do This

lebeast666 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
another idiot

i didn't say lebron wasnt that good

if you saw my posts and actually took the time to read them you'd see that i am quoted saying he deserves 4 mvps... i'm saying the voting system is flawed and other players were robbed

How did Kobe get robbed

Nash better team success while Kobe bottom of the playoff seeding. Dirk better stats and similar team success
lebeast666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: