Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 06-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #16
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation
Default .

this mavs team was built specifically to beat the Spurs. It took them years to get this formula down and i seriously doubt they will do anything to mess that up.

ive said it before and ill say it again...its not what the heat did or had...its what the mavs DIDNT do.

in the spurs series, the mavs controlled the tempo, they controlled the boards and they forced the spurs to play small ball. The mavs did the same thing to the heat in the first two games...then all of a sudden decided to change it up. i have no idea for what reason but it ended up costing them a championship...if they would have stuck to their plan that got them to the finals they would have beaten the heat because they blew them out the first games using the same strategy.

if i was the mavs, i wouldnt make any HUGE changes...but knowing cuban he will do just that and they will be back at square 1 again trying to figure out how to beat the spurs.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #17
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYIVERSON
bring in Carmello Anthony to speak to the team (specifically Dirk) to explain what it takes to hit clutch shots.

Carmelo just needs to worry about winning a playoff series before he starts giving advice. I didn't see him hitting many clutch shots in that Clippers series, in fact I didn't see him hitting many shots at all in that series, shooting 33%.

In fact Carmelo is a career 36.9% shooter in the playoffs and has led his team to a 1-12 playoff record. I don't think Melo has any reason to be giving anyone any kind of talk about clutchness and leadership.
miles berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #18
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarJordan
Knowing that you were 1 game and 6 minutes away from being world champions yourself, do you at this point:

1. Rebuild the team keeping eye on rematch with Miami Heat in mind (ie an answer for Dwyane Wade)?
2. Load up keeping the matchups against fast running Suns in the west instead who will have Amare Stoudamire back next year
3. Blow it all up and put together almost a different kind of team from scratch the way Riley did it last summer even though his team was few minutes away from winning the East
4. Do nothing. Assume you're in fact the best team in the league going in next season

What do you do when you were this close?

1. Murder David Stern.
2. Murder his right hand men (Bavetta, Salvatore, etc).
Old 06-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #19
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

Im sick of blaming the refs.

Duncan got calls against us, Dirk got calls against the Spurs, it just so happened that Wade got the calls in the Finals.

Who cares?

Dallas was right there even with the calls, Wade still bricked those two FTs at the end of Game 6, Dallas should have gotten a better shot than Jet running down and jacking up a quick 3 with 4 ticks left on the clock.

Dallas overcame losing in 6 to the Suns and will overcome this. Their 2nd and 3rd most talented players are 23 and 25 years old, they just need to continue to develop and as Rasheed1 said, Dirk needs to continue to add to his game as well.
miles berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #20
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
1. Murder David Stern.

If I'm being serious, I'd stop whining and let the guys play. I'll know that Stern is out there to screw the Mavs, so the only way to avoid that is to have the team play well and have a 20 point lead in every game with 1 minute remaining.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #21
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

I think they should trade Quis for more a veteran presence. I think the bench kinda self destructed game 3 and 5. If they can get a guy like Speedy Claxton, who's won a championship and has hit big shots in the Finals, I think they're golden. Speedy can run an offense coming off the bench too. If not him, either Memphis' Stoudamire or BJax could make the Mavs deadly too. Ideally though, if they could get Sam Cassell to sign for the MLE and have him accept a bench role, I'd say they're well on their way too a championship...

Basically, I'm not sold on Devin Harris as a back up point gaurd..Not just yet. He seems to find trouble in running the offense. Starting him at two-gaurd with Jet could pay big dividends, especially when they have Dirk and Diop/Dampier as a back up line.

Get rid of Josh Howrd too. He probably cost the Mavs a championship and for that alone, he should be traded. Trade him for Caron Butler, who does almost everything Howard does, but with better offense, and slightly worse defense.

That's what I'd try to do.

Let VanHorn go too. He sucks. Sign and trade him for Mark Madsen. He's a good character guy to have.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #22
LiL Stevie
Decent college freshman

LiL Stevie has decent reputation

Dallas has been working out a lot of point guard prospects for the draft...who knows what they might do. However, I think Devin Harris will develop into a good point guard. He's only 23. It took Chauncey Billups a while until he became an all-around PG and that's what I'm banking on for Devin. However, Dirk isn't getting any younger and by the time Devin hits his prime, Dirk will be out of his.

Dallas just needs to play more team-oriented in general.
LiL Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #23
KingofKings718
Great young streetballer

KingofKings718 has an OK reputation so far

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But they should show Keith Van Horn the door.
KingofKings718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #24
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

He should just keep his fingers off his team and let it develop their chemistry. It's a good team, and its young players continue to improve.

Just don't try to change things for the sake of change.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #25
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

Get Paul Pierce.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #26
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
1. Murder David Stern.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:20 AM   #27
FabCasablancas
Banned

FabCasablancas has decent reputation

The Mavs need a post presence desperately. While we did beat the Spurs and Suns these teams weren't at 100% and we were.

We need to be significantly better to win it all.

We also need better perimeter defense and better passing. Mavs had the lowest assist average in the league last season. No team with the lowest assist average has ever won the championship.

Ironically.. if not for the refs the Mavs should have beat the Heat in the finals.. but we wouldn't have beat a healthy Suns or Spurs team to get to the Finals.
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:26 AM   #28
305Baller
Maybe I'm a sophist.

305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board

they need to have Harris grab both breasts next time he flys into the crowd.
305Baller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:34 AM   #29
BEAR
Banned

BEAR has not been impressing people

I think the team should get Iverson ......and live happily ever after.
THE END
BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:40 AM   #30
305Baller
Maybe I'm a sophist.

305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board

interesting idea..... hmmmmmmmmmmm........verrry interesting...
305Baller is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: