Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Mass Debator
National High School Star

Default Athleticism

1. Cardiovascular/Respiratory Endurance- The ability of the body to take up and utilize oxygen.
2. Stamina- The ability of the body to store, process, and utilize energy.
3. Strength- The ability of a muscular unit, or group, to apply force.
4. Flexibility- The ability to move a joint through a full range of motion.
5. Power- The ability of the muscles to apply maximum force in minimum time.
6. Speed- The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated motion.
7. Coordination- The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct motion.
8. Agility- The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
9. Balance- The ability to control the placement of the body's center of gravity relative to it's support base.
10. Accuracy- The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best, rate your favorite player for each category. I wonder how the superstars compare to each other...I'm guessing Lebron is like a 8 or 9 in all of those with no 10s.
Mass Debator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
DrunkenDave
I airball my layups

Default Re: Athleticism

Finally a good definition. I fking hate when somebody calls some super weak skinna slow ass dude athletic because he can jump high. On top of that, a high vertical is probably the least important part of athleticism.
DrunkenDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Debator
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best, rate your favorite player for each category. I wonder how the superstars compare to each other...I'm guessing Lebron is like a 8 or 9 in all of those with no 10s.
lebron is a 10 in most categories.
is there a faster, stronger, more explosive and balanced athlete in the nba today? he never gets tired too.
Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Mass Debator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanett
lebron is a 10 in most categories.
is there a faster, stronger, more explosive and balanced athlete in the nba today? he never gets tired too.
I really don't see a 10 for him. Maybe in 1 or 2 categories if you don't want to be strict like the accuracy category. What makes him dominant is because he does everything well. Like a 9 speed, 8 power, and 8 coordination is absolutely frightful on the fast break. He's not like a Shaq who uses his 10 strength to overpower people or AI using his 10 agility and 10 stamina to go around defenders and go at them 24/7.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Quote:
I really don't see a 10 for him. Maybe in 1 or 2 categories if you don't want to be strict like the accuracy category. What makes him dominant is because he does everything well. Like a 9 speed, 8 power, and 8 coordination is absolutely frightful on the fast break. He's not like a Shaq who uses his 10 strength to overpower people or AI using his 10 agility and 10 stamina to go around defenders and go at them 24/7.

who's faster than him? ty lawson? maybe
stronger? dwight? david west? maybe
more agile? mike conley? nate robinson? debatable

see, if you give him an 8 in a certain category, with 400+ players in the league you gotta come up with 20 guys who are better in that category.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
klee
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:

see, if you give him an 8 in a certain category, with 400+ players in the league you gotta come up with 20 guys who are better in that category.

You're assuming that arbitrary distribution... why?
klee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Bugz
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:

You sound like a stan.
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by klee
You're assuming that arbitrary distribution... why?

i guess on a scale of 1-10, 1 would be the worst in the league (like steve novak in power) 5 is average (rudy gay) and 10 i would rate the top guys (lebron, dwight, west)
Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz
You sound like a stan.

you're going to my ignore list. on your 11th post! that's a record.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Mass Debator

Quote:

There are certainly players that are above Lebron when broken down into categories. Lebron isn't the best at everything...he is however considered the best at organized basketball due to his all around athleticism and skills.

Speed: Nate Robinson, Rose, Westbrook, Conley, Lawson, Wall, Wade, Darren Collison, etc. These players are elite at the court sprint measurement. Sonny Weems and Will Byum actually recorded better than those here mentioned too.

Strength: Chamberlain, Shaq, Ben Wallace, etc. Even Chuck Hayes, Joey Graham, and many handful of centers. From a standstill, Lebron does not stand a chance against these bigger stronger players. However, with Lebron's speed and strength combo, he could possibly generate enough power to take some big men down in game on the move. He had trouble with Gasol and Noah in the post and had to exert extra effort to be effective (yes, I understand that there's more involved than just strength when it comes to this).

Agility: This is a category where Lebron doesn't even excel at but he's probably a top candidate at his position. I'm not even sure if he's above Durant here but then Durant can't match Lebron in a lot of other categories that makes Lebron the best player in the world.

Last edited by Mass Debator : 05-09-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

There are A LOT of guys in the NBA who are stronger than LeBron, cmon you guys don't really think he's one of the strongest people in the NBA, do you?

He's great at playing strong, though, and driving hard.

What about Butler as a dude who can play 48.

I was just thinking the other day it's crazy how people can't play 48 minutes a game. I guess 38 great minutes is better.

I think skinny guys who can jump are athletic, but if they are going to get pushed around, they aren't... they have to be able to understand their strengths and when someone lays them out, get back up and try to dunk on them again.

Edit: 20 guys stronger than Bron, let's see: Andrew Bogut, Kendrick Perkins, Reggie Evans, Dwight, Jason Maxiell, Paul Millsap, Zbo, Marc Gasol, Big Cuz, Brandon Bass, Melo (still believe that haha), Blake Griffin, Greg Monroe, Carlos Boozer (even tho he plays like a bitch), Serge Ibaka (even tho he can play like a bitch, too), Kevin Love, Pek, Okafor, Aaron Gray, Asik, Bynum. Then you wonder about guys like Faried, Gerald Wallace, Graham...

I'd give Bron more like an 8.5 in strength. Would not debate a 9. But a 10, no way. Of the guys I listed, how many of them are 10s, even?

-Smak

Last edited by ILLsmak : 05-09-2013 at 05:53 PM.
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Ikill
i be killah swag

Quote:
If your looking at athleticism relative to size than Lebron might be a 10 in a quite a few areas. So that would mean if Lebron is the fastest forward in the game he would be given the speed advantage against the fifth fastest guard even if the guard was faster than him. If we are not looking at size theres some areas where he is pretty average like agility coordination and power.
Ikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle

Based on that list healthy Rose would be the most athletic player in the league, his flexibility, speed, coordination, agility, balance in the air, change of direction and accuracy was unmatched by anyone in the league. He actually had post moves that he executed inbetween 3-4 players and still somehow got to the rim and finished. And he was probably the strongest PG in the league and couldn't be guarded or pushed around by anyone, no wonder only one to stop him was basically a bigger stronger version of himself in Lebron.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
1. Cardiovascular/Respiratory Endurance- The ability of the body to take up and utilize oxygen.
2. Stamina- The ability of the body to store, process, and utilize energy.
3. Strength- The ability of a muscular unit, or group, to apply force.
4. Flexibility- The ability to move a joint through a full range of motion.
5. Power- The ability of the muscles to apply maximum force in minimum time.
6. Speed- The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated motion.
7. Coordination- The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct motion.
8. Agility- The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
9. Balance- The ability to control the placement of the body's center of gravity relative to it's support base.
10. Accuracy- The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.

MJ = 10 in all
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Mass Debator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikill
If your looking at athleticism relative to size than Lebron might be a 10 in a quite a few areas. So that would mean if Lebron is the fastest forward in the game he would be given the speed advantage against the fifth fastest guard even if the guard was faster than him. If we are not looking at size theres some areas where he is pretty average like agility coordination and power.
I don't think size should be taken into account when it's just raw athleticism that we're talking about. We all know size is great and it's what separates many < 6 foot players from reaching the pros or the average pros to the elite. If so, Nate Rob is the best athlete today...you see how much that dude benches? We're comparing pros vs pros. Competition vs competition regardless of position/size. In the end, all of Lebron's trait rankings added up is probably more than anyone even if he scores a 6 in a couple of spots.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: