Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #61
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kid tells teacher like it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
even private school teachers in US make less than their public school counterparts after controlling for neighborhoods.

Public school teachers at some wealthy counties pull in 100k+ plus easy.

That makes no sense. Why would rich people pay for private school if the teachers there aren't as qualified? Why would the more experienced teachers work for a place that pays them less?
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #62
Dbrog
National High School Star

Dbrog has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23

As someone else said...this is not a representative sample. For instance, my mother who retired in her 30th year of teaching, was pulling just over 60k...and that was with a Master's. This is going to be a much more accurate number for most of the nation.
Dbrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #63
ace23

ace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputation

I'm not trying to get some representative sample. Read what this fool wrote:

Quote:
No public high school teacher makes $80K a year. You're flat out lying.

Yes, I'm the one lying.

Last edited by ace23 : 05-10-2013 at 08:12 PM.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #64
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

LOL, some of my HS gym teachers were getting paid over 100k. Talk about a waste of tax payer money...
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #65
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

I blame feminism. Teaching used to be the lone female profession outside of a housewife so all the best females were teachers.

And shit teachers like this is why I took AP US History my junior year. That was an awesome class and was well behind the other students in terms of writing but I got better because of it. History/Geography classes were a joke. Freshman year the teacher actually cared but the kids in the class were dumb as hell. Getting 30s and 40s on tests over finding cities and states in Europe. Basic shit. I got a 96 and everyone is like, "omg nerd all you do is study." Takes an hour to memorize that garbage.

My soccer coach was also a world history teacher and he was terrible. All he would do is sit at his computer and once a week go up to the chalkboard and write shit up there and then you'd just copy it. That was it. There was no teaching involved whatsoever. We would sit in his classroom the majority of the time and play cards and make bets and shit.

Some students absolutely DGAF either so it doesn't really matter what the teacher does. I won't say that they're under or overpaid because they get summers off.

Last edited by Balla_Status : 05-10-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #66
Positive
High School Varsity 12th Man

Positive has decent reputationPositive has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
I'm not trying to get some representative sample. Read what this fool wrote:

Yes, I'm the one lying.

that's the correct use...

You're or you are flat out lying.
Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #67
ace23

ace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive

that's the correct use...

You're or you are flat out lying.
I know it's the correct usage. Catch up, son.

EDIT: Let me fix my post to emphasize my point.

Last edited by ace23 : 05-10-2013 at 08:15 PM.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #68
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

american schools sound ****ed up
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #69
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
I blame feminism. Teaching used to be the lone female profession outside of a housewife so all the best females were teachers.

And shit teachers like this is why I took AP US History my junior year. That was an awesome class and was well behind the other students in terms of writing but I got better because of it. History/Geography classes were a joke. Freshman year the teacher actually cared but the kids in the class were dumb as hell. Getting 30s and 40s on tests over finding cities and states in Europe. Basic shit. I got a 96 and everyone is like, "omg nerd all you do is study." Takes an hour to memorize that garbage.

My soccer coach was also a world history teacher and he was terrible. All he would do is sit at his computer and once a week go up to the chalkboard and write shit up there and then you'd just copy it. That was it. There was no teaching involved whatsoever. We would sit in his classroom the majority of the time and play cards and make bets and shit.

Some students absolutely DGAF either so it doesn't really matter what the teacher does. I won't say that they're under or overpaid because they get summers off.

Pretty much this lol. It's pretty much a joke. However, the only classes where I actually learned was in science classes everything else was pathetic.

Part of the problem is that once teachers get tenure they stop giving a **** and get all lazy. Why teach anything once your job is safe? I literally had teachers who didn't teach shit and the day before the test he'd give us the questions that'd be on the test.

In english classes most of the time we'd read a chapter and answer the questions on it. How does that relate to learning anything about the subject?

In Math we'd basically learn how to use a calculator.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #70
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
She started teaching in 1978 for $11,250 a year

So, you took a 35 year tenured teacher in the area with the highest cost of living in the country as your representative example. Really?

http://www.teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state/

You will notice there are only about 5 states where the average teacher salary (including ladies like the one in your article) makes over 60k. Your POV is way out of line with reality.

Your article only looks at salaries after 10 years of teaching, so 50-60K makes sense. When you get close to/beyond 20 years you should be in the 80-100K range, just like the woman from the article.
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #71
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Pretty much this lol. It's pretty much a joke. However, the only classes where I actually learned was in science classes everything else was pathetic.

Part of the problem is that once teachers get tenure they stop giving a **** and get all lazy. Why teach anything once your job is safe? I literally had teachers who didn't teach shit and the day before the test he'd give us the questions that'd be on the test.

In english classes most of the time we'd read a chapter and answer the questions on it. How does that relate to learning anything about the subject?

In Math we'd basically learn how to use a calculator.

Not to mention a lot of the books you do read are very boring and uninteresting. I'd like to read what I want to read please.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #72
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
I would love to higher salaries, and merit based evaluation (opposed to seniority)

How would you go about that, though? Have an observer sit in every class? They need to overhaul the system, but I don't have the answers.

Some of the classes were just sad. I remember taking Spanish I my senior year and I felt like I was in a 1st grade level class.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 AM   #73
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
Because teachers arent paid enough (or really considered an important job), many of the best potential teachers do not go into the field. Just looking at my HS class through facebook, all of the people who are now teachers were the middling and average kids in the school. None of them expressed a great aptitude or passion for the subject they now teach. Essentially, they went into education because there are jobs in the field. All of the top students from my class and the ones with a passion for a certain subject do something else now (professor, lawyers, doctors, architects, business). So, what do we expect when very few of our best and brightest go on to engage our youth in education.
I understand the position, but I honestly don't see this as a problem. I don't want our best and brightest chemists teaching high school kids, I want them doing actual chemistry...stuff, for example. Public school teachers aren't exactly teaching even 300 level courses or anything, they don't need to be masters of a field. Would it help? Clearly, but it's not anywhere near necessary or feasible really.

I think it's a helluva lot more important to have an actual interest in educating the unknowing on a general subject than it is to have mastered the subject in regards to k-12 education. I'm sure we all had profs that were insanely learned in a field, published multiple times, well respected, all that jazz, and couldn't teach for shit. It's like the young DeuceWallaces in the video was saying, it's about engaging kids and making them want to learn, that's the hard part, not some basic understanding of covalent bonds or whatever. You coulda been as average a HS student as you want, your education didn't end after 12th grade, but if you do that I'll be happy to send my nonexistent kids to your classroom.

Just the general structure of American education is a major problem as well, but that's a whole other thread and doesn't even have an actual answer since it's pretty community specific.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 AM   #74
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

wow he really articulated himself well. a future politician?
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #75
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status

AP US History was indeed awesome. Probably my fondest memory of a high school class.

The workload was insane. Study guides, outlines,, consistent quizzes, exams, but my God did we learn a sh!t load.

Dude challenged every belief in the book and had us do these little trials.

Debating FDR's Antics as unconstitutional or not
Debating how much of a nuisance we were to the Redcoats as opposed to a heroic feasible thread
Symbolism with

Whole lotta critical thinking, whole lotta detailed analysis, whole lot of cool stuff.

Thanks for bringing back the memoirs, Hawkster.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: