Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #76
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board
Default Re: Kid tells teacher like it is

The real problem in America and the reason we are turning into a 3rd world nation and will soon be surpassed by China is our culture.

I am not sure when it happened, but at some point we turned into a culture that looks down upon educated people. Hollywood has a huge effect on culture and helped propagate the stereotype of the nerd, especially in the 80s.

Kids put effort into getting good at what gives them gratification. The gratification of education does not occur immediately and combined with the negatives associated with being a "nerd" a lot of American children don't invest the effort and time needed to master harder subjects (STEM subjects).

In other cultures getting high test marks actually increases your popularity and peer acceptance. This is a huge factor in why they will in 20-30 years surpass us.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #77
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
Did you go to some private or charter school?

Not sure how it is in Texas but i know for a fact no k-12 teacher in California makes anywhere near $80k. Average is like $40k - $50k

I think he went to school in Texas, just like me. Unless he went to a real fancy private school there is no way his teachers made 80k a year.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #78
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
My mother was and is a teacher...and my grandmother was a math and sunday school teacher for like 40 years.

But that doesnt mean they are underpaid.

Public schools are a joke these days, The extreme vast majority really is babysitting. I learned next to nothing after I left private school and schools have if anything gotten worse since my days.

More kids, more teaching to the test not for knowledge, and kids doing worse.

Being given a massive responsibility doesnt mean you are underpaid even if you arent good at it.

Even if teachers are good...most of the schools are so rigid they cant show it.

Pay a guy 200 thousand...if he has to teach from a text book, hand out work sheets, and teach to a statewide test for weeks at a time the kids still dont come out caring. Some say pay them more and more qualified people take the jobs...but run the numbers. Where is the money to come from? And its not like more education makes one better at teaching. The best teacher I ever had had passion...but he wasnt really that good at math...which he taught. Not like...brilliant. He taught from the book but he was just interesting...fun.

This isnt the 60s with black teachers smuggling books from white schools so little black kids could learn history.

I know teachers. Plural. My ex girlfriend is a second grade teacher. And as I said...my mom is one too.

But it isnt high on the underpaid list.

Ive worked retail. The money these people are used to generate is astounding and they get minimum wage.

I could go teach in high school...tomorrow. My defensive coordinator from football was my math teacher for 2 years. Handed out sheets, read from a book, and passed anyone useful to sports.

It isnt that hard to be an average teacher. Its hard to be a great one.

Most teachers arent doing anything to justify high pay. They possibly could...but not in the system America gives them.
I agree with pretty much all of this. Both of my parents have been teachers for about 30 years. I'm actually about to finish up my education degree and plan on teach, although that's partially because I want to coach. But even if I didn't want to coach, I still would've majored in education.

And you touched on this, but the system and school curriculum's do limit what teachers can do, and what levels they can reach as educators. I had great teachers in high school and lazy teachers who gave you a worksheet or packet of worksheets, where all you had to do was follow along in the chapter and the answers were there word-for-word, in order. I got the same grades and probably learned about the same amount in both types of classes. However, that's not to say teachers can't expand on the curriculum and actually make students do some critical thinking work/exercises. Most teachers can almost always make more of an effort. At the very least, make them more excited about your class than their other classes. It may be a more challenging class but can be one you make more interesting/fun than the normal worksheets/packet, read the chapter, take a test class.

As for teachers being underpaid...I never really grew up thinking that. My parents never talked about how much they made. They never complained about their pay. I think between both of them, they make around $100,000 per year, so about $50,000/year each. That's after 30 years and past the point of where they can retire. Of course we're from Arkansas where cost of living is very cheap compared to most other states.

I don't know of any teachers (that just teach) that are making anywhere close to $100K/year in Arkansas. I do know that there are plenty of coaches, though, that make in the $100K neighborhood. Football is a big deal in Northwest Arkansas, and the head coaches at the biggest schoosl (7A) are pulling in 6-figures. We just hired a football coach at my old high school (5A school in the River Valley) and he's making something like $95K/year. Thing is, those people don't even really teach. I know at my school the head football and head basketball coaches had a few P.E. classes, along with their athletic period which was the last period of the day. So, until last period when it was time for practice, they usually just rolled some balls out into the gym and let the kids play dodgeball, basketball, or dick around. Getting paid 6-figures to do jack shit until 2:00, coach for 2-3 hours, and go home. Granted, during the season coaching is a full-time job since you're going to games 2-3 nights a week, and don't get home until 10:00 or later. And I know at smaller schools here it's a lot worse. My dad was a head basketball coach for about 20 years at a 2A school. He also had to coach (assistant) football. My uncle has been the head football coach for nearly 30 years at the same school, and he also has to coach baseball. Which means they basically spend from August to May or October to May staying after school 2-3 hours for practices, and travelling and getting home late 2-3 times a week during the season, and only getting a month or two off in the summer.

Last edited by KG215 : 05-11-2013 at 03:47 PM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #79
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I teach PE for Pinellas County Schools in St. Petersburg, FL. Here, the teacher salary tops out at about $63,000.

Currently, the school I'm at is classified as "fundamental," meaning that a certain level of parental involvement is required, and excess infractions by the students can result in their dismissal. It's not a private school, but there is a waiting list to get in, and we typically deal with less behavior problems/parent neglect, than other places.

With that said, I recently found out I'm losing my position due to "redistribution of funds." Basically, there will be fewer PE staff to watch the same number of students, who are all at risk of losing their daily PE. It's terrible.

I am super passionate about what I do, and the money sucks, but the kids are great, I know what I'm doing, and I do my best to teach them new skills. I really hope I find a similar position. It's all really upsetting right now.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #80
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really don't get some of the hate this kid is receiving. Especially when I see people bashing the way he looks or talks...seriously? The most important thing is that this guy wants to learn, how many students in regulars classes with BS teachers really show this kind of passion? I hope this video was seen by as many administrators and principals around the country...who knows maybe it turned some important heads.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #81
Chrono90
Local High School Star

Chrono90 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Does anyone here agree with me that the kid went over the line and he should be disciplined?
Chrono90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #82
Chrono90
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
I really don't get some of the hate this kid is receiving. Especially when I see people bashing the way he looks or talks...seriously? The most important thing is that this guy wants to learn, how many students in regulars classes with BS teachers really show this kind of passion? I hope this video was seen by as many administrators and principals around the country...who knows maybe it turned some important heads.

We don't know that. He was expelled before and came back. No way we can make any concrete judgement from just a segment of what happened.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #83
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono90
We don't know that. He was expelled before and came back. No way we can make any concrete judgement from just a segment of what happened.
I'm sure there is more context to it. But from watching the video, the kid expresses discontent at learning from packets and from his teacher not getting up and teaching the class. I like that. Although, I agree that perhaps his manner of solving this wasn't the best but he's pretty young so not surprising.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #84
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
I think he went to school in Texas, just like me. Unless he went to a real fancy private school there is no way his teachers made 80k a year.

We have already established that PUBLIC SCHOOl teachers from all over the country can make over 80K a year. My mom is one of them, teaching 2nd grade in Port Jervis, NY (a pretty poor area) and making 81K this year.
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #85
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
We have already established that PUBLIC SCHOOl teachers from all over the country can make over 80K a year. My mom is one of them, teaching 2nd grade in Port Jervis, NY (a pretty poor area) and making 81K this year.

Did we win the lottery? When can I get my cut?
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #86
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

high school teachers can be so awful. i love the fact that when i started college, my instructors were like, everything u learned in high school and below is wrong.
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #87
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

My history professor in college was hilarious. Took as many shots as he could at high school curricula. He had this running gag where he referred to everyone's high school history teacher as "Coach Johnson"
Old 05-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #88
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
My history professor in college was hilarious. Took as many shots as he could at high school curricula. He had this running gag where he referred to everyone's high school history teacher as "Coach Johnson"

What a prick.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #89
Chrono90
Local High School Star

Quote:
I'm sure there is more context to it. But from watching the video, the kid expresses discontent at learning from packets and from his teacher not getting up and teaching the class. I like that. Although, I agree that perhaps his manner of solving this wasn't the best but he's pretty young so not surprising.

The problem is we hear the kid vent but the teacher never got a chance to explain her side of her story. It's as if we saw a video of a teacher lecturing a kid with lots of passion, we would say she's a good teacher and kids are not into education these days.

Not saying you're wrong. But just saying there's lot more to the whole story and it's unfair to say the teacher is not enthusiastic about teaching without hearing her side of the story.

Last edited by Chrono90 : 05-12-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #90
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I completely feel where this kid is coming from. When I graduated back in 2010, while looking for a job in my field (engineering), I was able to network with a principal at a school who gave me a job as a tutor. He started me off at $21/hr and I worked 8 hours/day. I was helping out the math department and it really sucked.

One thing I can say, I hate standardized testing. I suppose it serves it purpose for kids that learn just to get by, but for those students that want to be challenged, it is really tough to get them engaged. I few of the students I tutored weren't idiots, math was just challenging to them, however, I made every effort to teach them things the correct way. Unfortunately in this school, they had this TI-89's that did the work for them, so most students would get their answers this way, but had no idea how the calculator arrived at this conclusion. I brought this up to the math department chair, telling her how stupid it was to teach kids to only use a calculator to get to the answer, but she got after me for trying to teach kids how to actually arrive at an answer without the calculator.

Obviously, these super high tech calculator have a good purpose and I definitely could have used one in college, rather than doing things by hand that I already knew how to do. However, in this school they were driven by standardized scores (like I am sure most schools are) and they just tried to teach these kids the simplest way to get an answer.

Quite frankly, after that experience, I could never be a teacher. I tried my best to be creative with these kids and I made an effort to teach them without using a calculator. Unfortunately, many of them were used to the ****ing calculator that they couldn't even do simple division at times! I always engaged my groups. I can't imagine having to do teaching full time. Dealing with the administration that doesn't always support you is also bullshit. Unfortunately, at the end, it's all about those numbers, which is why I think many teachers lose their passion.

There will always be teachers that are bad apples, but many of my friends that went into the education field, actually really care about their kids. I am sure at some point, most of them will be worn down by the restrictions administration imposes and most will lose their passion for teaching.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: