Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #91
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Default Re: Kid tells teacher like it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono90
Does anyone here agree with me that the kid went over the line and he should be disciplined?

Oh absolutely. But his points remain valid.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #92
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Oh absolutely. But his points remain valid.
Then why should he be disciplined? Students not being able to challenge teachers is the reason they don't give a fvck.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #93
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Then why should he be disciplined? Students not being able to challenge teachers is the reason they don't give a fvck.
He coyodve had a debate with the teacher about it, not storm off the classroom.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #94
ace23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
He coyodve had a debate with the teacher about it, not storm off the classroom.
She told him to leave...
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #95
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

It's not the teacher's fault and it's not the fault of the kid either. The problem lies in the curriculum: teachers are supposed to follow it to the tee, which means they can't teach creatively or they will get fired, and since they can't teach it creatively, the kids can't engage it creatively, hence why they get bored.

The main job of the teacher is to teach the curriculum and keep the students in line with it through discipline.

The true purpose of the curriculum is not to teach, but to control the behaviors of the student.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #96
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
It's not the teacher's fault and it's not the fault of the kid either. The problem lies in the curriculum: teachers are supposed to follow it to the tee, which means they can't teach creatively or they will get fired, and since they can't teach it creatively, the kids can't engage it creatively, hence why they get bored.

The main job of the teacher is to teach the curriculum and keep the students in line with it through discipline.

The true purpose of the curriculum is not to teach, but to control the behaviors of the student.
Thats all well and good.. but Im just saying if the kid was saying something true without being offensive(calling her a bitch, throwing something etc.) then why should he be punished for speaking the truth?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #97
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
Exactly why I would never teach again. Most people have no idea what it entails to teach.

But to have a child/teenager feel they have the right to challenge an adult is where society has failed. When good teachers have to face children/teenagers that dont know boundaries the system is failing. And I am not even saying bad teachers because there are plenty of them. But the lack of respect by children/teenagers for their parents let alone a teacher is a deterrent. Then you meet the children/teenagers parents and you realize they have the lack of self control, self discipline and self respect as their child/teenager.

I would never ever suggest anyone to become a teacher unless they can go to a quality school to teach.

As far as the video its possible that teacher is there for the paycheck or they were worn down.

Like Gatorkid said I loved teaching and coaching in Japan for the most part.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #98
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
Exactly why I would never teach again. Most people have no idea what it entails to teach.

But to have a child/teenager feel they have the right to challenge an adult is where society has failed. When good teachers have to face children/teenagers that dont know boundaries the system is failing. And I am not even saying bad teachers because there are plenty of them. But the lack of respect by children/teenagers for their parents let alone a teacher is a deterrent. Then you meet the children/teenagers parents and you realize they have the lack of self control, self discipline and self respect as their child/teenager.

I would never ever suggest anyone to become a teacher unless they can go to a quality school to teach.

As far as the video its possible that teacher is there for the paycheck or they were worn down.

The irony is strict discipline generates rebellion. It is ok to be strict, but you have to find a balance. Some kids struggle in school because the curriculum is boring and too rigid, for example, as stated above, they don't teach you math anymore; they tell you to use a calculator and memorize the answers. I'm sorry to say, but memorizing a bunch of sh*t and repeating it on a test is boring as f*ck, and I can understand why kids become disinterested in school. It doesn't make kids who feel this way bad students; it's not a one way street. In China, they firmly believe if a kid fails, it is the fault of the teacher; in America, we always blame the kids, but noone ever criticizes the curriculum and the method of teaching.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #99
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek

Yea.. the reason kids dont respect teachers is because.. are teachers really experts in their topics? Do you need to be some sort of senior scientist to teach biology? Do you have to have a phd in cold war history to teach American History 2?

Nope. You dont really need shit. Just read from the book, make some powerpoints and make the kids mindlessly regurgitate it.

When I think of teaching I tihnk old type greek schools where a scholar would take a kid under his wing and inspire him to be great in whatever field. Scoietys to big and full of morons to do that now.. so nothing will change. The good students will always show an interest though so well still progress.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #100
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Thats all well and good.. but Im just saying if the kid was saying something true without being offensive(calling her a bitch, throwing something etc.) then why should he be punished for speaking the truth?
I feel you here. This is certainly a unique situation and the simple fact this kid's semi-outburst has led to discussions like this one all across the nation and/or world proves that sometimes challenging the status quo, even if it's at the wrong time and in the wrong place, can provide us an opportunity to think twice about what we're doing and why we're doing it.

That said, classrooms do tend to have rules that discourage misbehavior, dissent and a general lack of disrespect. In this particular case, I think it can be argued as to whether this student was breaking any rules. Then again, we'd probably also have to know what he did to earn his suggested removal from class in the first place.

Based on his rant alone though, I don't think this particular case would warrant any sort of punishment. Generally speaking though, I do not believe classrooms can afford to open the floor to any and all students to go on diatribes against the system whenever they personally feel it's prudent.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #101
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

The kid in the video did nothing wrong (during the video)... Children should be able to challenge teachers (intellectually not physically). That is apart of true learning. When a teacher can put to rest the questions in a child's mind? then the child will begin to accept the knowledge being offered.

Some kids will call BS and a competent teacher should be able to handle those situations without simply throwing the kid out of class for questioning them. True learning is a process much deeper than simple indoctrination..

school would be alot more stimulating if it wasnt simply indoctrination and teaching kids to 'pass the test' instead of teaching them how to think critically.

Ive done a small bit of teaching (ive mostly been in administration through my career) but I plan to do some teaching and I know I will need to be creative to get around the stiff curriculums and testing outlines that bog teachers down.

Teaching kids to learn how to "think" is the key. Teaching them to take pride in being able to think critically in all the things they do will help them be more curious in life and make better decisions for themselves in the future.

Some kids are really thirsty for that knowledge and they should have more opportunities to get it than they currently do
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #102
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
The kid in the video did nothing wrong (during the video)... Children should be able to challenge teachers (intellectually not physically). That is apart of true learning. When a teacher can put to rest the questions in a child's mind? then the child will begin to accept the knowledge being offered.

Some kids will call BS and a competent teacher should be able to handle those situations without simply throwing the kid out of class for questioning them. True learning is a process much deeper than simple indoctrination..

school would be alot more stimulating if it wasnt simply indoctrination and teaching kids to 'pass the test' instead of teaching them how to think critically.

Ive done a small bit of teaching (ive mostly been in administration through my career) but I plan to do some teaching and I know I will need to be creative to get around the stiff curriculums and testing outlines that bog teachers down.

Teaching kids to learn how to "think" is the key. Teaching them to take pride in being able to think critically in all the things they do will help them be more curious in life and make better decisions for themselves in the future.

Some kids are really thirsty for that knowledge and they should have more opportunities to get it than they currently do

If you can manage to do that without getting fired, then you will be one of those rare teachers a lot of kids credit for their success in life.

The above poster got in trouble for trying to teach a student how to arrive at a math answer rather than letting him take the shortcut with a calculator.

Sadly, the curriculum overburdens the teachers with materials which can stifle learning. Learning should be a slow process, but if too much material is being thrown at the students, there won't be any time to reflect on the material, hence why they are told to just memorize as fast as possible and pass it on a test.

Last edited by IamRAMBO24 : 05-13-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #103
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Yea.. the reason kids dont respect teachers is because.. are teachers really experts in their topics? Do you need to be some sort of senior scientist to teach biology? Do you have to have a phd in cold war history to teach American History 2?

Nope. You dont really need shit. Just read from the book, make some powerpoints and make the kids mindlessly regurgitate it.

When I think of teaching I tihnk old type greek schools where a scholar would take a kid under his wing and inspire him to be great in whatever field. Scoietys to big and full of morons to do that now.. so nothing will change. The good students will always show an interest though so well still progress.

Pretty sure it's way more the fact that most kids are just little shits.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #104
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

I cannot agree with you in this regard. While teachers are not required to hold Ph.D's, they are required to be highly qualified in their given field. It doesn't mean they're geniuses, but it does usually mean they have more than enough knowledge on a given subject to educate high school level students and below.

I believe it wouldn't be completely unreasonable to expect students to respect teachers because most often teachers are folks who have put an inordinate amount of time and effort into finding ways to ensure those students are able to carve something worthwhile and useful out their lives. Does every teacher deserve blind respect? Clearly not. But I do believe it'd be silly to excuse a student's disrespect simply because a teacher does not hold a Ph.D.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #105
Rameek
Krust Kingz

It's hard to teach children that lack self discipline and self control and understanding boundaries.

Children/Teenagers without these qualities but for the sake of argument can try to tell any teacher they dont want to learn x y z at a whim because its boring and unstimulating. Not everything is fun and exciting. There are things that are what they are.

Learning is applied knowledge. It does require some memorization but teachers are not teaching to entertain students. That requires time consuming planning that a teacher doesnt have the time in the day to for every lesson. No one is debating that students shouldnt be engaged.

Children/Teenagers have a rebellious nature that will go against anything they deem unworthy of their time no matter what a teacher does.

Again in the video had the teacher been a packet making sit down and used inappropriate language and crossed the line then she has opened up this behavior.

Again I site the type of rebellious nature that a teacher should not have to deal with.... This statement is the absolutely asinine (I am not saying you are or your opinion isnt valid)

Quote:
tpols: Yea.. the reason kids dont respect teachers is because.. are teachers really experts in their topics? Do you need to be some sort of senior scientist to teach biology? Do you have to have a phd in cold war history to teach American History 2?

These are the statements heard daily by a teacher from a child/teenager. The nerve of a child to question a teacher in such a manner is utterly disrespectful.

Everyone here has a style they want a teacher to present to make education work. And the ones that do not get that style then its there right to be rebellious?

As much as the school system has failed America so has the parents of children that believe a child/teenager gets to question an adult at every turn.

In what occupation can a subordinate question a supervisor or manager or president or owner of a company or establishment outright. What would the outcome be for that child/teenager/employee in the real world?

Last edited by Rameek : 05-13-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: