Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #31
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Holy shit Iron Man 3 sucked so many balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Garbage gets 5.5? What kind of scale is this? Is 5 not average? Explain yourself.

I score it like school grades, so when a movie gets a 5.5 from me, it is an F. 2/10 puts it at one of the worst movies of all time. This movie was like a C+ or a B- for me, but that is because part 2 influenced my opinion since it is an F for me.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #32
Dbrog
Local High School Star

I think a lot of people are missing the point with this movie. Tony Stark isn't in his suit a lot of time for 2 reasons.

1) It highlights how dangerous the real "manderin" really was as a villain because he was able to completely crush Tony for most of the movie (parallels Bane's role in DKR actually). It shows that Tony is highly vulnerable and mortal.

2) Tony without his suit is representative of the journey he goes on throughout the movie to find himself again. Back to basics, so to speak (as seen when he has to rebuild his suit; cope without Pepper; hang out with the kid who he sees a bit of himself in; etc).

I thought all of these things were a nice departure for the series and will transition him nicely to the role that IronMan was usually in in the comics (making and using technology for the benefit of other superheroes rather than fighting). I also enjoyed how they brought back the comedy that the second movie lacked. Obviously I still think the 1st move is by far the best, but this movie has a lot to appreciate (despite the kinda stereotypical creation of a bad guy...dude gets blown off at a Y2K party ).

Last edited by Dbrog : 05-10-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Dbrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #33
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I score it like school grades, so when a movie gets a 5.5 from me, it is an F. 2/10 puts it at one of the worst movies of all time. This movie was like a C+ or a B- for me, but that is because part 2 influenced my opinion since it is an F for me.

I hate you too.

If you are gonna do it like that just say it's a B or a C+
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #34
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
I hate you too.

If you are gonna do it like that just say it's a B or a C+

But then you don't know how bad of an F it is, because there is a huge difference between 2/10 and 5.5/10.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #35
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
But then you don't know how bad of an F it is, because there is a huge difference between 2/10 and 5.5/10.

Hmm that's a fair point. That's why you should just go by the standard 1-10 scale.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #36
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
No wonder Hollywood keeps green-lighting this garbage. People actually like movies with no plot and just a bunch of CGI bulls*t. This is why I appreciate shows like Breaking Bad so much. So much goes into the writing and developing of characters. Yet the Ironman movies are beyond boring even though they have an unlimited budget.

This movie is a 2/10. It's sad that this movie is what passes for entertainment. I wanted to leave 45 minutes before the end.

Come off it.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #37
BuffaloBill
#HugLife

Quote:
Hmm that's a fair point. That's why you should just go by the standard 1-10 scale.

I still give it a 5.5

The thing is that a 5.5 is bad for a movie like Iron Man 3, and okay for other movies. It's not actually "garbage," It's just a really big disappointment.
BuffaloBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #38
SamuraiSWISH
GOAT gonna GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
Surely it's better than the plot hole ridden turd that was the dark knight rises?
Not near the amount of holes you're suggesting.

And Rises had a superior antagonist, actual THREAT and sense of dread and urgency by the film's climax. A legit meaningful character arc from the protagonist that gift wrapped the entire trilogy.

Superior cinematography, script, dialogue and acting all around (beyond RDJ and Kingsley's odd performance) IM 3 was atrocious, and corny ... like most Marvel Studio films.

TDK Rises has an accurate ranking of around 87% or 88%.

IM 3 was like a watered down, boring ass version of TDK Rises with a mythology that isn't near as rich.

Iron Man: 8/10
Iron Man 2: 5/10
Iron Man 3: 6/10
Incredible Hulk: 5/10
Captain America: 5/10
Thor: 6/10
Avengers: 7/10
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #39
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

^^^ It's not right to compare Iron Man and Batman trilogies. It would be impossible for Iron Man 3 to recreate the kind of tone the Batman trilogy has. The latter was completely gritty, rooted in violence and reality (or as real as it can get), whilst Iron Man (and the other Marvel ones) are based around fantasy/sheer coolness. Batman wasn't meant to be cool, he's scary and a hardcore vigilante, Iron Man is awesome and has cool suits with laser cannon things.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #40
SamuraiSWISH
GOAT gonna GOAT

The first Iron Man took place in a plausible reality, albeit with a genius designing armor jet suits. Very similar to Batman Begins and TDK trilogy, albeit with out the dark / depressing / nihilistic tone of the Batman character and mythos.

Then by the STUPID third film, people breathe flames and shoot lasers out of their fingers. IM 3 was dumb as hell. RDJ and Kingsley were funny, though. Can't take it seriously.

And since when could Pepper jump 10 feet in the air, rip down an IM suit of armor with her bare hands, rip it apart, and do back flips and ninja kicks? Utterly retarded.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #41
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

Thought Pepper could only do it because she transformed by the Extremis thing? That's why she was glowing orange and stuff.

But when he breathed fire, that was some serious moment
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #42
macmac
Gov'n

Upon further reflection, this movie does have some very deep and thoughtful themes. Like if you ever ditch someone on a rooftop, expect them to dedicate their entire lives to your destruction and global domination. Wow, such amazing character motivation.

Thank god the Wolfpack found the groom in the Hangover or who knows what evils he could have been plotting up there.
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #43
SamuraiSWISH
GOAT gonna GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
Thought Pepper could only do it because she transformed by the Extremis thing? That's why she was glowing orange and stuff.
That's the point. Everything with Stark is science based. The extremis stuff made injured soldiers re-grow limbs.

Since when did it give them super powers to jump long distances, breath fire, touch steel beams and melt them?

Utterly retarded. I actually thought the twist of the Mandarin being a media creation was actually very interesting (it's what I believe Bin Laden actually was) ... but the actual villain of the film was flat and boring with NO motivations.

At least in TDK Rises the villain returns from the first film, and their motivations actually make sense. The demons that come back to haunt Tony in the 3rd film were created sloppily in this film. So there is no depth and rapport the viewer has with them the way they did with the League of Shadows from Batman Begins and TDK Rises.

You don't have to be dark to take material seriously. The first Iron Man got things right. Let Iron Man be the fantastical element in a grounded reality, and it gives more weight to the story. Nolan / Snyder are doing the same thing with something very fantastical in Superman, but it looks amazing and believable. Why? The reality surrounding Superman is plausible.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #44
Johnny Jones
Russel Wilson = GOAT

This trilogy was extremely average. Not bad, not good, just average.
Johnny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #45
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle

May Man of Steel save us all from this dreadful summer season.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: