Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
K Xerxes
Greatest

K Xerxes has decent reputationK Xerxes has decent reputation
Default Magic Johnson...

Am I the only one absolutely perplexed that a consensus top 2-6 GOAT provides such amatuerish and basic analysis on games? I'm not even sure what he says can be referred to as 'analysis'.

At first I thought he was getting paid to dumb down his thoughts, but the more I watch this moron on ESPN, the less convinced I am that that's true. He is a notorious flip-flopper and over reacts to everything.

A great great player, but I'm surprised his bank of knowledge on the game is so low.
K Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
LONGTIME
Decent college freshman

LONGTIME has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Magic Johnson...

Magic is ****ing terrible.
LONGTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
(e)
MJ of ISH

(e) is a pretty well-respected poster(e) is a pretty well-respected poster(e) is a pretty well-respected poster(e) is a pretty well-respected poster

The ESPN crew in general is garbage
(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

NumberSix has not been impressing people

Magic is doing it on purpose. He panders to the lowest common denominator audience. The shit his says off camera is VERY different than what he says on ESPN.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
jlip
Decent college freshman

jlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Xerxes
Am I the only one absolutely perplexed that a consensus top 2-6 GOAT provides such amatuerish and basic analysis on games? I'm not even sure what he says can be referred to as 'analysis'.

At first I thought he was getting paid to dumb down his thoughts, but the more I watch this moron on ESPN, the less convinced I am that that's true. He is a notorious flip-flopper and over reacts to everything.

A great great player, but I'm surprised his bank of knowledge on the game is so low.

The guy in your avatar is often considered the GOAT and has been arguably the worst owner and evaluator of talent in recent memory.

Being an all time great player doesn't necessarily translate to success in the front office or the analysis booth.
jlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
tikay0
Banned

tikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong waytikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Xerxes

Barkley's even worse.
tikay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
kNicKz
Dynasty

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

ISH, where posters who couldn't make their high school team have more "Basketball IQ" than Magic Johnson
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
JimmyMcAdocious
NBA lottery pick

JimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation here

That's different.

MJ can't evaluate talent. Which makes some sense because he was so far ahead of an average NBA player. He was athletically blessed and had natural basketball talent that most people can't even dream off.

Magic can't talk basketball, and I swear he has one of the highest basketball IQs ever to play in the NBA. It doesn't add up.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
tikay0
Banned

tikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong waytikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
That's different.

MJ can't evaluate talent. Which makes some sense because he was so far ahead of an average NBA player.

Magic can't talk basketball, and I swear he has one of the highest basketball IQs ever to play in the NBA. It doesn't add up.

He's probably forgotten more basketball than any of us have learned in our lifetime's. The problem is, he can't articulate his thoughts like Kenny Smith, Steve Kerr, etc.
tikay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Orlando Magic
Local High School Star

Orlando Magic has an OK reputation so far

Here's the thing that most people in general don't get...

Just because you're great at something and you have great instincts and know how to play and you have great ability does not mean a damn thing in terms of your ability to evaluate talent, put together teams, analyze games, or basically anything else other than playing.

Michael Jordan has been one of the shittiest GMs of all time despite the fact that he is one of if not the greatest player of all time.

Magic Johnson is a complete buffoon when it comes to evaluating players and analyzing games.

Mark Jackson is the same retard that thought that Kobe would go down as better than Michael.

The list goes on...

One of the few guys that could probably play at a high level and commentate/analyze with some pretty fantastic accuracy would be Bill Russell... but maybe not.

Basically what I'm saying is this...

Every time any current player or ex player gives their opinion on something, people like to cite these quotes as if this is validation that their viewpoints are correct... when in reality, it doesn't mean shit, because while most players were geniuses while on the court, they are complete dumb asses off of the court, even when it comes to waching what they were able to play so well.

Last edited by Orlando Magic : 05-12-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Magic has been absolutely horrendous since I first heard him announce during the '94 dunk contest. How can you not improve in almost 20 years?
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
outbreak
Custom User Title

outbreak is popular on this boardoutbreak is popular on this boardoutbreak is popular on this boardoutbreak is popular on this boardoutbreak is popular on this board

I always thought it had to do with him trying to be too much of that good awesome guy image, he can't have a unique opinion as he doesn't want to ruin his image so he just agrees with everyone else in the moment and avoids rocking the boat
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
HomieWeMajor
VerseOne

HomieWeMajor is considered somewhat coolHomieWeMajor is considered somewhat cool

All that sex in the 80s messed up his mind.
HomieWeMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
Legends66NBA7
Dinosaurs live again

Legends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLegends66NBA7 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What did he say this time ?

Or is this what he's just being saying in general on that show ? I don't watch it, so I don't really know what their going on about.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't know if the games are still on Youtube, but if you've got time, go back and watch the '93 (or was it '91?) Finals where he's one of the commentators. He was awful then, and that was 20+ years ago. It really is baffling that the best floor general in NBA history can come off as this amateurish as an analyst/commentator.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: