Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Magic Johnson...

I think he's fine as a commentator

The combination they have can be a bit awkward because they all seem to suck on Magic's HIV cawk but that's kind of expected.

I don't mind the ESPN crew at all.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
daj0264
I am a love machine

what aids does to your head
daj0264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
K Xerxes
Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
What did he say this time ?

Or is this what he's just being saying in general on that show ? I don't watch it, so I don't really know what their going on about.

Just general from years of watching this clown say ridiculous and rudimentary things all the time.
K Xerxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
HomieWeMajor
VerseOne

Who remembers the Magic Hour ?
HomieWeMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
get these NETS
you can't stop me

I think Magic would be better on a radio show that wasn't sports specific

He has to tone down so much of his natural charm and personality for the broadcasting segments on espn that he can't articulate his points well.

See magic on talk shows being interviewed and his full basketball genius becomes evident when the subject turns to the NBA.

espn,abc are horrible in general...that team they assembled looks like when the lights go off,,they go in 4 separate directions.

bill simmons is creepy, jalen rose has that stupid clarke gable mustache, wilbon looking like uncle phil from the fresh prince..

they look like a bad fit and sound terrible together
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
Soundwave
Great college starter

Magic's game was all about flow and acting on instinct.

That's not really Xs and Os and "basketball knowledge", that's playing from your gut. So no, I don't think that its all that surprising.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #22
tikay0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieWeMajor
Who remembers the Magic Hour ?

That lasted about 3 episodes.

I remember being amped to watch it, because an athlete interviewing celebrities was a new twist on late night shows. Watched 1 episode and thought to myself, "yeah, this garbage getting canned by next week."
tikay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
guy
Very good NBA starter

Some people are great at things and are just unable to explain it into words. I'm sure on the court when his intensity was up he was able to, but not from far away sitting at a desk.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #24
tikay0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by get these NETS
wilbon looking like uncle phil from the fresh prince..

tikay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
ISH, where posters who couldn't make their high school team have more "Basketball IQ" than Magic Johnson

this
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #26
DMV2
No title

I think the problem is that he has to be filtered because he doesn't want to come off as a bad guy.

Barkley isn't the most articulate guy, yet he looks natural and true in his presentation, that's because he doesn't care if he comes off as a jerk or an idiot. That's why he's very entertaining to watch.

With Magic, he just seems......well, fake.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

I just tend to believe there's a huge gap between being able to play the game of basketball and being able to articulate on the game in front of a nationally televised audience under a controlled setting.

All knowledge and say-all about basketball doesn't fall under one singular umbrella. If one can play basketball at a very high level, it doesn't necessarily mean they have a third eye for talent or analysis. I'd say one with a great basketball ability would be best served telling people how to play like he did. For instance, if we asked Magic Johnson to break down when and how to use an open court spin move, I think we'd get a much more fulfilling response than listening to him trying to explain whether he believes Carlos Boozer is performing at an adequate level against Miami's front line considering how much he's being paid.

Obviously on a much lower level, but I'd bet we all have known exceptional basketball players in their own right who may not have had any real knowledge on the game aside from how to be effective at it. No real thought, just well refined reaction and execution. I think some players truly know the game, I think some just let it flow, and I think there's a sizable middle ground.

On top of everything else, I don't know how much of ESPN Halftime Analysis is truly realistic "analysis". It's a show, so the answers can tend to be showy. I wouldn't say Magic is withholding information or anything, but I'd imagine his thoughts on any given game would vary greatly if he were just watching from a couch at home as opposed to having to fill airtime by talking about whatever's catchy and hot at the time.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 05-13-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
TheReal Kendall
Blah Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
ISH, where posters who couldn't make their high school team have more "Basketball IQ" than Magic Johnson

TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #29
Shepseskaf
Old School

Magic understands the game better than practically anyone. I wonder if he feels the need to 'dumb down' his comments so that more listeners can comprehend them, or its simply a case that he can't articulate what he obviously knows.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
K Xerxes
Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
Magic understands the game better than practically anyone. I wonder if he feels the need to 'dumb down' his comments so that more listeners can comprehend them, or its simply a case that he can't articulate what he obviously knows.

I don't think he does in all honesty. I agree with other posters here that Magic was more of a 'flow' type player, insofar he let instinct control his game. I'm not saying he has a low bball IQ, and I'm sure ESPN tell him 'don't point out set plays or anything too specific', but some of the things he says are beyond just dumbing down. Particularly his flip-flopping.

Perhaps he understands the game in a different way than everyone else?
K Xerxes is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: