Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Duderonomy
Nothing but NETS

Duderonomy has not been impressing people
Default Was 1970-80 a "Dead Era"?

I wasn't born yet but The period between Russell retiring and magic/Bird entering the league is largely forgotten and certainly wasn't popular at the time. Then of course there was the cocaine scandal. Can somebody shed some light on this period?
Duderonomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Duderonomy
Nothing but NETS

Default Re: Was 1970-80 a "Dead Era"?

150 views and no comments I guess it really was dead. Future reps given for somebody that can name off finals champions for each year without googles help. I give a freebe Bucks 1971.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Deuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderonomy
150 views and no comments I guess it really was dead. Future reps given for somebody that can name off finals champions for each year without googles help. I give a freebe Bucks 1971.

70 knicks
71 bucks
72 lakers
73 knicks
74 celtics
75 warriors
76 celtics
77 blazers
78 wizards
79 sonics
80 lakers

I'm going to go to as far as I know

69 celtics
68 celtics
67 sixers
59-66 celtics
58 hawks
57 celtics
56.....?
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I wasn't born yet but The period between Russell retiring and magic/Bird entering the league is largely forgotten and certainly wasn't popular at the time. Then of course there was the cocaine scandal. Can somebody shed some light on this period?
Fans didn't leave after Bill Russell retired - your imagining this entire scenario.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

ABA had the exciting players and more entertaining style of play

nba absorbed the best players and some of the gimmicks"dunk contests"

People overstate the fact that the league was dead until Magic/Bird

Dr. J was the most popular player in the NBA..and probably all of sports for that era after the aba/nba merger and pre showtime
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Duderonomy
Nothing but NETS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Fans didn't leave after Bill Russell retired - your imagining this entire scenario.
More of a time frame as Russell probably never drew flies. Dr. J, Pistol,Kareem and Walton were stars but the league needed to be overhauled to reach a higher level. NBA finals back then were on tape delay. Slightly above a niche market from an marketing stand point.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

Back in the 70s ABA > NBA, which is why Nets 2 titles >> Knicks 2 titles.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall is starting to rub some people the wrong wayTheReal Kendall is starting to rub some people the wrong way

What cocaine scandal????
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
HomieWeMajor
Thinking we local

HomieWeMajor has a terrific reputationHomieWeMajor has a terrific reputationHomieWeMajor has a terrific reputationHomieWeMajor has a terrific reputationHomieWeMajor has a terrific reputation

Wasn't that when players used to hire prostitutes to bang at half time ?
HomieWeMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieWeMajor
Wasn't that when players used to hire prostitutes to bang at half time ?
that was late 60s van full of chicks pull into the parking lot and the whole bevy went inside through the players gate
La Frescobaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Back in the 70s ABA > NBA, which is why Nets 2 titles >> Knicks 2 titles.
lol

dude..... lol

that is funny tho
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

Quote:

You know, if I was to point to a single season that ushered in the modern NBA, with all the tv cameras, and the advertising and the glitz and glamor, and the nationwide press coverage... more than any other, that season was 1972.

That 33W streak and just the whole aura of the Lakers was incredible.. for us long time hoops fans, it was a bittersweet thing for sure.

You know, it's like..... a lot of old hippies read the Lord of the Rings back in the late 60s or early 70s. It was like a secret rite of passage in some groups to know who Strider was , or to have an undershirt that said you know, frodo lives, or 1ring2bind . Guys would have a little slip of paper in the hatband of their leather hat that said "Gandalf was here" or whatever. And so for all these years, it was great to have that little kind of secret in a way, among friends, showed some intellect.I'm not talking dungeons & dragons here.. although some people went that route for sure.... it was a common point to have read those books of the trilogy.
Then they made the movies and those movies are incredible - great - whatever you want to say... awesome.
But they destroyed that little circle, that sort of secret club that guys had, that ladies had.... because now everybody knows what an orc was or what the Black Gate was. Secret club or society is destroyed forever.

Same way with that 1972 season, see? Before that, you could run into guys at a game, guys from Boston that you knew and everybody just showed up in Baltimore, or Erie, or Syracuse to catch a game and there they were. That sort of little club (and I'm talking teenagers or early 20s) got destroyed by that 1972 season because the NBA went nationwide.
Everybody knew about it, everybody watched, everybody followed Kareem and Walton and Clyde & Pearl and Rolls Royce backcourt.

No it was the opposite of a "Dead Era."
It was the death of an era.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

70s ball was great. But you have to remember one thing about the 70s, not too many people that were of age in the 70s, remember the 70s and choose to forget what they remember.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

That's the era of Dr. J and the ABA man.

The Wilt and Jerry West Lakers...Knicks etc.

Before my time as well but my pops talks about it all the time.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallas
70s ball was great. But you have to remember one thing about the 70s, not too many people that were of age in the 70s, remember the 70s and choose to forget what they remember.

LMAO

I don't think they choose to forget. A whole lot of drugs back then.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: