Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
goldenryan
I'm Back

Default ESPN mock draft: Agree/disagree

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2013/mockdraft

I played it a few times, Nerlens Noel going #1 every time. The Magic must really want Burke bad.
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Fudge
ISH Bully

Default Re: ESPN mock draft: Agree/disagree

OKC must really want Dieng. I hope not.

Gimme Len, Olynyk, and Zeller before him. Even Shabazz if he's still available.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

My try had McLemore going to the Pelicans at #1 with the Pistons picking up Victor Oladipo at #7 and Trey Burke going to the Kings at #6. In a move I'm sure no one saw coming, the Jazz took Kelly Olynyk.

Edit: On subsequent plays, the Pistons went with either Oladipo or Shabazz Muhammed. Does anyone have any real information on Muhammed? I know only of the surface information: talented, but had that weird moment where he was mad he didn't get the ball at the end of a game even though his teammate hit the game-winner, dad is a little overbearing and bred him to be who he is. Does he actually have potential? Is his personality more normal than his news-making instances made him sound?

Last edited by Rake2204 : 05-13-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge

you dont like dieng? he looks like a guy who could contribute immdiately, or at least, hes the best equipped to contribute immedicately.

hes more athletic than perkins, can shoot it a little, pass it a little. he could be better than perk at everything (probably except 1-on-1 post defense) right away.

im a big fan.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge

I like Dieng more than Len and about the same as Zeller. I like Olynyk the most, though.

Dieng is polished, albeit not with a high ceiling due to his age, and could potentially be an immediate contributor. Same with Olynyk. Len is a big project and I'm just not sure what to think about Zeller anymore. After he really struggled with physical defenses in the tournament, I've really soured on him.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
chips93
Very good NBA starter

they have ball-handling listed as a strength for nerlens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Edit: On subsequent plays, the Pistons went with either Oladipo or Shabazz Muhammed. Does anyone have any real information on Muhammed? I know only of the surface information: talented, but had that weird moment where he was mad he didn't get the ball at the end of a game even though his teammate hit the game-winner, dad is a little overbearing and bred him to be who he is. Does he actually have potential? Is his personality more normal than his news-making instances made him sound?

in HS he was regarded as a true competitor with a great motor, but that incident you referred to i think made ppl re-evaluate that intensity that he has.

his character was seen as a strong point before this year though. nobody has ever questioned his motor or work ethic.

the whole age thing kinda changed how ppl looked at his potential. hes not a freak athlete, and got a lot of his points in transistion. surely he wont be able to translate this to the nba level, since he wont have that huge advantage athletically that he had in college. he improved his shooting a good bit, and has a decent post up game for a young wing.

also, his passing was historically bad. iirc, draftexpressed said that he had one of the lowest assist rates of any prospect that they had looked at. of non-big man, first round picks of the last 10 years, only 5 had lower assist rates.

he was pretty good on the offensive glass, but like the transistion points, they will be a lot harder to come by in the nba.

despite him using his physicality in a way that probably wont translate to the pros, he still does have very good scoring instincts. i think his peak is as a solid 20 a night scorer, but if you expect him to make a substantial contribution elsewhere on the court, hes probably gonna let you down.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
My try had McLemore going to the Pelicans at #1 with the Pistons picking up Victor Oladipo at #7 and Trey Burke going to the Kings at #6. In a move I'm sure no one saw coming, the Jazz took Kelly Olynyk.

Or the Jazz taking Oladipo if they get the 2nd pick. And Mclemore if he's available instead of Oladipo. Who's got a pg for Burks?

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 05-13-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

This is a tricky draft. I hope the cavs wind up with Otto Porter, but they'll probably pick somebody not on anyone's radar.
DukeDelonte13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
they have ball-handling listed as a strength for nerlens

in HS he was regarded as a true competitor with a great motor, but that incident you referred to i think made ppl re-evaluate that intensity that he has.

his character was seen as a strong point before this year though. nobody has ever questioned his motor or work ethic.

the whole age thing kinda changed how ppl looked at his potential. hes not a freak athlete, and got a lot of his points in transistion. surely he wont be able to translate this to the nba level, since he wont have that huge advantage athletically that he had in college. he improved his shooting a good bit, and has a decent post up game for a young wing.

also, his passing was historically bad. iirc, draftexpressed said that he had one of the lowest assist rates of any prospect that they had looked at. of non-big man, first round picks of the last 10 years, only 5 had lower assist rates.

he was pretty good on the offensive glass, but like the transistion points, they will be a lot harder to come by in the nba.

despite him using his physicality in a way that probably wont translate to the pros, he still does have very good scoring instincts. i think his peak is as a solid 20 a night scorer, but if you expect him to make a substantial contribution elsewhere on the court, hes probably gonna let you down.
Thanks. I don't exactly feel confident with the Pistons picking at #7. I did a little more research and some suggest they're at a spot where they're too low to snag one explosive scorer (McLemore) but may be a little too high to pluck the other one (Muhammed) suggesting he may not be #7 worthy. I suppose we'll see if Muhammed's mock status keeps him in that area or not.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

Im high on Porter, Shabazz, McCollum, Saric and Olynik.

McCollum is gonna be like Lillard or Curry part 2
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

I like...

RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
This is a tricky draft. I hope the cavs wind up with Otto Porter, but they'll probably pick somebody not on anyone's radar.
I like Porter, but we really need to get some rim protection on this team. Especially with Mike Brown now back in the fold, I think a Noel/Thompson frontcourt of the future could be damn good defensively.

Porter seems like an all-around good player, but he's not outstanding in any one category. Sort of like a Gerald Wallace type player. I'm OK with it if Noel is off the board, but if we have the chance to draft the best natural shot-blocker to come out in years, we have to do it, imo.

Go big or go home. It looks like Len is moving up the board, too. If we aren't in position for Noel, he's a guy I wouldn't mind taking a look at.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
bagelred
Weird

Quote:
ESPN mock draft: Agree/disagree

Looks like a mock draft, so I agree.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekindled
Im high on Porter, Shabazz, McCollum, Saric and Olynik.

McCollum is gonna be like Lillard or Curry part 2
Ha, got my hopes up for a minute. I thought you were talking about McCallum (as in, Ray, from Detroit Mercy) for a minute since I think you're a Detroit guy. I'm pulling for the Titan, even though he's projected to be like, the 58th pick overall.

On the flip side, at least it looks like Tim Hardaway's moving up a little bit. I see him being projected as high as #21 right now. So that's good.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 05-13-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
el gringos
Good college starter

1-Noel
2-mcLemore
3-olynyk
4-Bennett
5-shabazz
7-Zeller
8-Adams