Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #16
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Possible significant increase in salary cap and tax threshold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
As long as we would have Kobe and Dwight, I seriously doubt we would ever have cap space anyway.....if we can get good players for an expirer we had better take it.

In fact, If you remove both Dwight and Pau from last year's we would still have been over the cap.

I get that but Kobe's next contract won't be a max one. I really don't think he'll even get what Nash did. Nash signed before the new CBA and it was too much money.... I would hope Kobe would take a little less than that based on that. Besides, I don't think he's going to be taking the highest offer at that point. It'll either be a reasonable one from the Lakers or retirement. That should leave enough room for another really good player.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
9erempiree
26 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board

To be honest I don't think the higher threshold due to revenue increase would help those, that are repeat offenders, in saving money from the luxury tax.

Would the IRS let you not pay the tax you owe the past years because they lowered your taxes? I don't think so especially in this instance.

It's almost like they are rewarding the cap offenders because revenue is up. No way.
9erempiree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I get that but Kobe's next contract won't be a max one. I really don't think he'll even get what Nash did. Nash signed before the new CBA and it was too much money.... I would hope Kobe would take a little less than that based on that. Besides, I don't think he's going to be taking the highest offer at that point. It'll either be a reasonable one from the Lakers or retirement. That should leave enough room for another really good player.

Hold on......you REALLY don't think "KOBE BRYANT" will get as much as 9 million per year for 4 years? That is what Nash got.

Add: The sheer marketing impact of Kobe alone, lets say if he went to another team....in jersey sales, ticket sales, television rights etc.....that alone warrants a salary higher than $9 million, i'll leave it at that number for argument sake.

Last edited by DKLaker : 06-06-2013 at 12:05 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Hold on......you REALLY don't think "KOBE BRYANT" will get as much as 9 million per year for 4 years? That is what Nash got.

I don't think Kobe will sign a 4 year deal. But I could see him signing for a year or two at 9 or 10 million per season. If he really wants to win another championship that's what he's going to have to do. I think we can both agree that Nash is overpaid too. Plus that deal was on the old CBA like I mentioned before. Contracts like that aren't going to be able to set an exact precedent. Ray Allen is only making 3 million per season. Of course he was expected to come off the bench too. While Kobe won't sign a contract like that, I still expect that it'll be a significant pay cut. You can't give a guy at his age a max contract, even if it's for a season.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #20
DKLaker

Quote:
I don't think Kobe will sign a 4 year deal. But I could see him signing for a year or two at 9 or 10 million per season. If he really wants to win another championship that's what he's going to have to do. I think we can both agree that Nash is overpaid too. Plus that deal was on the old CBA like I mentioned before. Contracts like that aren't going to be able to set an exact precedent. Ray Allen is only making 3 million per season. Of course he was expected to come off the bench too. While Kobe won't sign a contract like that, I still expect that it'll be a significant pay cut. You can't give a guy at his age a max contract, even if it's for a season.

No, definitely not a MAX contract, but not an insulting one. Kobe is NOT Steve Nash, NOT Ray Allen, so I don't get why they would be used as a comparison. I don't see Kobe averaging less than 18ppg over the next 3 years for sure.

Tim Duncan, on his 39th birthday will still be making about 10.5 million.
Ask the Spurs how happy they are with Tim Duncan....lol.

4 years.....don't forget to factor in Kobe desperately wanting that 6th ring, to take a shot at the all time scoring record or #2........among other factors.

Last edited by DKLaker : 06-06-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
No, definitely not a MAX contract, but not an insulting one. Kobe is NOT Steve Nash, NOT Ray Allen, so I don't get why they would be used as a comparison. I don't see Kobe averaging less than 18ppg over the next 3 years for sure.

Tim Duncan, on his 39th birthday will still be making about 10.5 million.
Ask the Spurs how happy they are with Tim Duncan....lol.

4 years.....don't forget to factor in Kobe desperately wanting that 6th ring, to take a shot at the all time scoring record or #2........among other factors.

Again, an old CBA contract. But like I said 9 to 10 million does sound about right. It really depends on how much he wants another ring.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
DKLaker

Quote:
Again, an old CBA contract. But like I said 9 to 10 million does sound about right. It really depends on how much he wants another ring.

Yes, I agree on 10 million but at first you said he would get less than the 9 million Nash got.....no way....lol. I can easily see him playing for 4 more years.
Kobe has said that he is desperate to get that 6th ring......and knowing Kobe, after getting #6, if there is any prayer that he can get #7 he is not going to just walk away from it.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #23
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kobe's resume and his caliber (even at this age) will not command less than 12-15$ million per year.
lakerfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #24
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Kobe's resume and his caliber (even at this age) will not command less than 12-15$ million per year.

He won't get another ring if he resigns for that kind of money. Like I said, it depends on how much he really wants to try to get another one.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #25
DKLaker

Quote:
He won't get another ring if he resigns for that kind of money. Like I said, it depends on how much he really wants to try to get another one.

I agree, $12-15million would seriously hurt his chances to get another ring.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #26
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Not with the new cba. Top 3-5 superstars will barely get to 25 mill a year. A few others in ages 20s to early 30s will get past 20 mill a year. A 38yr old Kobe won't reach $15 mill. 10 is max he should expect tbh..
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #27
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I agree, $12-15million would seriously hurt his chances to get another ring.

I agree as well.

The question is, does he care? Will he pull a Tim Duncan or not?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #28
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
I agree as well.

The question is, does he care? Will he pull a Tim Duncan or not?

That's pretty much what I was trying to get at. Plus I threw in the fact that we now have a new CBA that makes it much harder for teams to go over the cap so ideally he would need to take even less......
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #29
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
That's pretty much what I was trying to get at. Plus I threw in the fact that we now have a new CBA that makes it much harder for teams to go over the cap so ideally he would need to take even less......

I guess if he had to sacrifice, I would agree with everyone else that 9 million per year is the perfect contract for Kobe
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: