Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
DMV2
NBA All-star

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Bobcats fans: thoughts on changing nickname back to Hornets?

New Orleans Pelicans will begin playing in 2013-14 season. Should Charlotte change their nickname back to the Hornets?

I know a lot of non-Bobcats think they should change it back but what about Bobcats fans?

I'm actually not sure because of the franchise history issue.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Bobcats fans: thoughts on changing nickname back to Hornets?

My own opinion is that if mgmt is going to spend a penny on anything that it damned well better be spent on a top-notch coach and top-notch players. After nine years there is no reason for us to continue to 'start over.' That's bull crap. Albeit it's because of decisions made in past years by other folks but a name change isn't going to do a damned thing to make us a winning team. Whether we're the Hornets, Bobcats or Shitheads, if we keep doing stupid things like trading away Tyson Chandler, for example, or keeping Gana Diop, or 'building on young talent' we'll forever be in the gutter. That being said, the 4th quarter of last nights game against Minnesota was fabulous to watch.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

All season ticket holders were sent a survey asking questions about changing the name back to Hornets. I filled mine out over the weekend. I personally would support any team in Charlotte no matter what the name. I'm just a fan of NBA basketball. That being said there is a huge groundswell of support for changing back to the Hornets. I find it rather humorous, but if it results in increased ticket and merchandise sales then more power to them. Like I said it doesn't change my point of view as a fan.

When you hear people talk on sports radio around here the way they romanticize the Hornets years is pretty funny. You would think that the Hornets won multiple championships by the way they talk. In reality the Hornets were never anything but a slightly above average team that would occasionally advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
All season ticket holders were sent a survey asking questions about changing the name back to Hornets. I filled mine out over the weekend. I personally would support any team in Charlotte no matter what the name. I'm just a fan of NBA basketball. That being said there is a huge groundswell of support for changing back to the Hornets. I find it rather humorous, but if it results in increased ticket and merchandise sales then more power to them. Like I said it doesn't change my point of view as a fan.

When you hear people talk on sports radio around here the way they romanticize the Hornets years is pretty funny. You would think that the Hornets won multiple championships by the way they talk. In reality the Hornets were never anything but a slightly above average team that would occasionally advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

What's the use of changing the name of the product if the product does not change. True I'll follow the team no matter what but if money is going to be spent at all shouldn't it be spent to improve the team?
btw, RufusPaul--I sent you a private message. Should I delete it?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
What's the use of changing the name of the product if the product does not change. True I'll follow the team no matter what but if money is going to be spent at all shouldn't it be spent to improve the team?
btw, RufusPaul--I sent you a private message. Should I delete it?

About Timmeh's blog? Yeah I checked that out. Thanks.

Well the one thing more fan support would do is create more revenue that in turn could be used to improve the team. It would lessen the possibility that we lose the team, again.

It's funny that my 9 yr old daughter is dead set against any name change. She wasn't around for the Hornets.

Last edited by rufuspaul : 01-28-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
About Timmeh's blog? Yeah I checked that out. Thanks.

Well the one thing more fan support would do is create more revenue that in turn could be used to improve the team. It would lessen the possibility that we lose the team, again.

It's funny that my 9 yr old daughter is dead sent against any name change. She wasn't around for the Hornets.

Do you really think that the name change would increase the public's enthusiasm for the team and increase revenue? A psychological boost? I can understand that. I also understand where your daughter is coming from. The Hornets moved away the year before I relocated here to NC. I was absolutely devastated to learn that I would be living in an area without an NBA team (my brother and I followed basketball since the 1970s) when initially I knew that the Hornets were here. Long story short. The Bobcats first season here was probably also my first year here--2003. So all I know is the Bobcats. It would just be too weird to be anything other than the Bobcats. But as long as we have a team here I guess that's what matters, no matter what their name. I'll adjust.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
DMV2
NBA All-star

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I grew up in New York state during the heights of Zo, Mugsy and LJ. I would estimate that the Hornets were top 5 most popular NBA team in NY state based on merchandise sales; only behind the Knicks(obviously), Bulls and maybe Magic and Celtics.

I don't know whether it was the logo, Mugsy or Grandma Ma but they were popular for some reason up in NY.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2
I grew up in New York state during the heights of Zo, Mugsy and LJ. I would estimate that the Hornets were top 5 most popular NBA team in NY state based on merchandise sales; only behind the Knicks(obviously), Bulls and maybe Magic and Celtics.

I don't know whether it was the logo, Mugsy or Grandma Ma but they were popular for some reason up in NY.

They also played a pretty good 2nd round series against the Knicks in '93. But alas George Shin was too cheap to keep the core together and that season was the height of the Hornet's hype. They had another good run under Paul Silas when they had Mashburn and Baron Davis but again they let guys go instead of paying them.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
They also played a pretty good 2nd round series against the Knicks in '93. But alas George Shin was too cheap to keep the core together and that season was the height of the Hornet's hype. They had another good run under Paul Silas when they had Mashburn and Baron Davis but again they let guys go instead of paying them.

Sounds eerily similar to what's happened with the Cats since then. Ditto the Los Angeles Clippers over many decades. You'd think these mgmt guys would get it so that history doesn't keep repeating itself.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
TarCat
I brick open layups

TarCat has an OK reputation so far

We received our survey yesterday. I have mixed feelings about the name change but my hubby wants to keep the Bobcats name.
TarCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
DMV2
NBA All-star

Bring the Buzz Back

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/bobcats-s...s-name-hornets
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: