Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #406
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

This is why the Prigs deal hurts and was totally unnecessary. All things being equal he isnt even a back up really. I think Brand is more skilled than a veterans minimum player though and its not a shock he would require more money. Honestly, most people didnt think the Knicks were going to acquire any real talent with the financial restraints. But sometimes I wish this was a legit place people wanted to play.

Quote:
Knicks told they are out of running for Brand: source

The Knicks have been informed by Elton Brand's representatives that they no longer are in the running for the Westchester power forward, according to an NBA source.

According to the source, the market for Brand is higher than the Knicks can offer - which is either the $1.7million mini midlevel exception or the $1.4M veteran's minimum. The Knicks had targeted Brand to be a key big man off the bench after losing Marcus Camby in the Andrea Bargnani trade.

Chicago and Cleveland made initial inquiries into Brand. The Knicks have yet to come to terms with an outside free agent, with the signing day tomorrow, as they have been simply outbid . The latest target the Knicks lost out on was Pistons point guard Will Bynum, who agreed to terms with Detroit Monday night. They also lost out on small forwards, Francisco Garcia, Matt Barnes and Carlos Delfino.

Because of the Knicks' financial predicament, they may have to wait a few days before players give up on getting higher offers elsewhere. The Knicks were able to sign two of their chief free agents, J.R. Smith and Pablo Prigioni. They lost Chris Copeland to Indiana on a two-year, $6 million deal.

With Brand out of the picture, the Knicks have a strong urgency to re-sign power forward Kenyon Martin, who has also attracted interest elsewhere.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicks...#ixzz2Ye0IykqF
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #407
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Once again, I agree with you all the way until the part about players not wanting to play here. We took ourselves out of the Brand running. As with a lot of players. It's one thing if this was Aug/Sep and we were still courting these guys. We spent a chunk of our only asset outside of vet min deals on Prigioni. The moratorium period lifts TODAY. That money is ALREADY gone. So now players and agents already know "don't even bother contacting the Knicks. The most they can give you is $1.7 million dollars."
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #408
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

<-----------------
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #409
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Once again, I agree with you all the way until the part about players not wanting to play here. We took ourselves out of the Brand running. As with a lot of players. It's one thing if this was Aug/Sep and we were still courting these guys. We spent a chunk of our only asset outside of vet min deals on Prigioni. The moratorium period lifts TODAY. That money is ALREADY gone. So now players and agents already know "don't even bother contacting the Knicks. The most they can give you is $1.7 million dollars."
If the players really wanted to be here they would be here for sure. The point being 1st the incompetent spending (although in reality the team didnt have anything to really offer) 2nd this team has no signed a legit FA in years small or large without overpaying.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #410
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
If the players really wanted to be here they would be here for sure. The point being 1st the incompetent spending (although in reality the team didnt have anything to really offer) 2nd this team has no signed a legit FA in years small or large without overpaying.
How? If you want anything more than 1.7, you might as well not even look our way. Why would I sign for 1.7 if I'm any good if Pablo just got 1.5 for 3 points and 3 assists?
Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #411
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
How? If you want anything more than 1.7, you might as well not even look our way. Why would I sign for 1.7 if I'm any good if Pablo just got 1.5 for 3 points and 3 assists?
Totally irrelevant to the overall problem. You wouldnt be able to sign any players based on that rationale. Thats totally a stretch if you're connecting no one signing here based on a pablo contract.

So no one signed last year because Novak made over 4 million? But almost anyone in the NBA is better than him. Weak Sauce.

If anything it shows a an unearned loyalty to players.

You're a funny dude though. No one wants to come for here for the vet minimum because Pablo will make as much as me.

What would be the excuse for previous years then?
Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #412
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
Quote:
Is there a name for this private little world of yours?
What happens there when we don't just run away?
You'll kill us with a soup cup?

Gotta love chronicles of riddick
Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #413
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
Totally irrelevant to the overall problem. You wouldnt be able to sign any players based on that rationale. Thats totally a stretch if you're connecting no one signing here based on a pablo contract.

So no one signed last year because Novak made over 4 million? But almost anyone in the NBA is better than him. Weak Sauce.

If anything it shows a an unearned loyalty to players.

You're a funny dude though. No one wants to come for here for the vet minimum because Pablo will make as much as me.

What would be the excuse for previous years then?

Huh? What are you talking about?

If Pablo didn't sign for the 1.5, we'd have over 3 mill to spend. That's what I mean. Our mini mid was 3.3 roughly. We gave it to 1.5 of it to Pablo. Therefore, the most we can spend on a free agent is 1.7 million dollars. Where as if we gave Pablo a min contract, we'd have the full 3.3 to use. JR's contract didn't affect the mini mid. He was retained via Bird Rights.

3.3 > 1.7

Basic math.

Last edited by franchize : 07-10-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #414
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
Huh? What are you talking about?

If Pablo didn't sign for the 1.5, we'd have over 3 mill to spend. That's what I mean. Our mini mid was 3.3 roughly. We gave it to 1.5 of it to Pablo. Therefore, the most we can spend on a free agent is 1.7 million dollars. Where as if we gave Pablo a min contract, we'd have the full 3.3 to use. JR's contract didn't affect the mini mid. He was retained via Bird Rights.

3.3 > 1.7

Basic math.
I thought you were referring to why no one wants to play here because of Pablo's salary. Not the portion of the Mini-MLE.

Doesnt matter though. I dont think that would have made much of a difference anyway but it was just about hope that the Knicks could maybe convince a decent player to come.

The Knicks had MLE's and no one of quality wanted it. We had veteran minimums exceptions etc etc and no one wanted. Like I said this is just not a place people want to play unless we overpay.

On another note the Nets are on the verge of adding a talented young guy.

Quote:
The Nets might turn to free agent Alan Anderson to fill their backup small forward role, sources tell Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski.
The cap-strapped Nets originally aimed for Kyle Korver, but he turned out to be too expensive. Brooklyn then hoped to buy out Bojan Bogdanovic, but GM Billy King admitted Wednesday that wasn't an option. Anderson could be a solid backup-to-the-backup option for the Nets, although he's unlikely to get as many shots as he did during his career year last season.
Related: Nets
Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter Jul 10 - 4:20 PM
Old 07-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #415
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Guys, the plan was from the start to sign vet min players....the mmle was to retain our own.

You dont have to like it, but thats what it is.

The reason, and i asked around for this one, the 1.7 is a vet min deal as well.

The Knicks are telling prospective suitors that it should be viewed as a uptaxed vet min contract.

Meaning, since taxes are higher in NY, the contract has extra money attached to cover those taxes so that a vet min player would get similar take home as others in the league.

I really didnt of it like that until it was told to me.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #416
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Jared Zwerling ‏@JaredZwerling 6h

Agent: The #Knicks were No. 1 on Prigioni's list of potential suitors, while three other NBA teams were pitching for his services.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #417
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Jared Zwerling ‏@JaredZwerling 6h

Agent: The #Knicks were No. 1 on Prigioni's list of potential suitors, while three other NBA teams were pitching for his services.

Coming from HIS agent means absolutely nothing lol

Rameek, where I'm still not buying the argument is...how do we know nobody else wanted to sign here? The money was gone from the start. Same with last year. We all made our annual list of guys we liked. Kidd was signed before most of them. All reports and quotes point to the Knicks making Pablo Shitioni our top priority. So can we please stop acting like we dangled the money in front of everyone and the only one who wanted it was Pablo. He was not the last resort. The moratorium JUST lifted today!As usual, we threw unnecessary money for a fan favorite. It's over and done...but let's call it what it is.

Knickscity is right...it is what it is. And I don't have to like it. And I will be sure to point to moves like this as to why we can't be taken seriously as contenders. When your highest paid player can't play more than
Old 07-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #418
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
Coming from HIS agent means absolutely nothing lol

Rameek, where I'm still not buying the argument is...how do we know nobody else wanted to sign here? The money was gone from the start. Same with last year. We all made our annual list of guys we liked. Kidd was signed before most of them. All reports and quotes point to the Knicks making Pablo Shitioni our top priority. So can we please stop acting like we dangled the money in front of everyone and the only one who wanted it was Pablo. He was not the last resort. The moratorium JUST lifted today!As usual, we threw unnecessary money for a fan favorite. It's over and done...but let's call it what it is.

Knickscity is right...it is what it is. And I don't have to like it. And I will be sure to point to moves like this as to why we can't be taken seriously as contenders. When your highest paid player can't play more than
Historically we had money available with vet minimums and MLE's and no one came what would change now?

I have said already its about the hope though so it was a waste on Prigs.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #419
Rameek
Krust Kingz

The Celtics have an excess of players decent role players we have to scavange that team.

Also, Espn talking something about Rondo to the Knicks.

Quote:
The Celtics may have to cut some players to avoid the luxury tax penalty.
They currently sit at a tax penalty of $1,181,640, which is the least of the six NBA teams over the threshold -- the Lakers, Heat, Knicks, Bulls and Nets being the other five. Boston has to pay disappointing players Gerald Wallace at $10.1 million and Kris Humphries at $12 million, so it's easy to see why they're on the wrong side of the tax penalty. The team has a bunch of role players and should cut one or two in the coming weeks.
Source: Boston Globe Jul 11 - 9:12 AM

Quote:
PG 1. Rajon Rondo
2. Avery Bradley
3. Lamont Jones
4. Nolan Smith
SG 1. Courtney Lee
2. Jordan Crawford
3. MarShon Brooks
SF 1. Jeff Green
2. Gerald Wallace
3. Keith Bogans
4. Kris Joseph
PF 1. Brandon Bass
2. Kris Humphries
3. Jared Sullinger
4. Fab Melo
5. D.J. White
6. Shavlik Randolph
C 1. Kelly Olynyk
2. Chris Wilcox
3. Colton Iverson
Old 07-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #420
Rameek
Krust Kingz

That Rondo report was some first take drivel claiming someone close to Melo claimed Melo wanted Rondo blah blah pure garbarge!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: