Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #616
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 6,985
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
No, and he's never missed a chance to get every cent he's entitled to or the years of contract attached, which as a family man he should.

But dont give me the he wants to win if he signs a 129 million dollar contract then complain he doesnt have help.

Of course he wont if 40% of the cap is in his pocket.
Money and winning is on opposite spectrum for this guy possibly.

But I wont lay sole blame at his feet because the President/GM doesnt make good decisions with the money they do have.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #617
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator
 
knickscity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Home of BullyBall!!!!
Posts: 9,322
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
Money and winning is on opposite spectrum for this guy possibly.

But I wont lay sole blame at his feet because the President/GM doesnt make good decisions with the money they do have.
Sure I can, because his salary at that amount limits them from being able to field a proper roster.

This is how I look at it....

The team has a cap(budget), the league essentially tells them how much they have to spend, kinda like our wages we earn each week.

The team needs certain components to be competitive (quality players) just like we need certain things for everyday life.

Melo is one of those quality players needed, but him at a certain price strains the budget, similar to how the kids may one month run up the cable bill ordering PPV's, except in Melo's case it would affect the budget every single year.

We have the option of working overtime to offset, the team has cap exceptions, but doesnt always help.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #618
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 6,985
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Sure I can, because his salary at that amount limits them from being able to field a proper roster.

This is how I look at it....

The team has a cap(budget), the league essentially tells them how much they have to spend, kinda like our wages we earn each week.
5
The team needs certain components to be competitive (quality players) just like we need certain things for everyday life.

Melo is one of those quality players needed, but him at a certain price strains the budget, similar to how the kids may one month run up the cable bill ordering PPV's, except in Melo's case it would affect the budget every single year.

We have the option of working overtime to offset, the team has cap exceptions, but doesnt always help.

You just made my point. The team thus must make a decision. Is he worth max money?

He isn't good enough.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #619
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator
 
knickscity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Home of BullyBall!!!!
Posts: 9,322
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

100% agree....all of it.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #620
el gringos
Good college starter
 
el gringos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,485
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
You just made my point. The team thus must make a decision. Is he worth max money?

He isn't good enough.
It's crazy when someone thinks it's the best players that aren't good enough but the other contracts are fine. Totally ok w amare but oh no Carmelo.


Could you get Carmelo's production to come right in if you had 20 million to spend?


Could you get amares production to come right in if you had 20 mill to spend? Chandlers value if you had 15?


Yeah sure it would be better to not have your best player. People like you deserve a team like you want- you prob can't wait to pay shumpert 10 and you'll go a long ways with a team built around Tyson chandler
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #621
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 6,985
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
It's crazy when someone thinks it's the best players that aren't good enough but the other contracts are fine. Totally ok w amare but oh no Carmelo.


Could you get Carmelo's production to come right in if you had 20 million to spend?


Could you get amares production to come right in if you had 20 mill to spend? Chandlers value if you had 15?


Yeah sure it would be better to not have your best player. People like you deserve a team like you want- you prob can't wait to pay shumpert 10 and you'll go a long ways with a team built around Tyson chandler
You lack reading comprehension.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #622
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,711
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Melo isn't the only player with a max contract. You can have a max player and still have talent elsewhere. Time to stop making excuses for the GMs. They didn't build teams properly BEFORE Melo and they probably won't after Melo. As I said before, some day you guys will wake up and say "Franchize was right. Our GMs suck at finding talent." lol
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #623
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,711
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
money supercedes everything. That's the only thing that counted. Mo money>>>>>
I think every athlete should get as much as they can but my team doesn't have to pay IMHO. IE Revis.

Yea thank goodness for Dee Millner





SAID NO ONE.....EVER!!!!!
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #624
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator
 
knickscity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Home of BullyBall!!!!
Posts: 9,322
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Melo isn't the only player with a max contract. You can have a max player and still have talent elsewhere. Time to stop making excuses for the GMs. They didn't build teams properly BEFORE Melo and they probably won't after Melo. As I said before, some day you guys will wake up and say "Franchize was right. Our GMs suck at finding talent." lol
I really dont think anyone disputes this.

All we're stating is having a guy soak up 40% of your cap compounds it further.

Now hear is something folks wont say.....

The Knicks will never win a title again because they arent needed to do so, and fans in general wont demand it.

All is need is a playoff win and a famous name and most are satisfied.

The evidence is in the attendance.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #625
Clutch
NBA Legend
 
Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSG
Posts: 16,422
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
I really dont think anyone disputes this.

All we're stating is having a guy soak up 40% of your cap compounds it further.

Now hear is something folks wont say.....

The Knicks will never win a title again because they arent needed to do so, and fans in general wont demand it.

All is need is a playoff win and a famous name and most are satisfied.

The evidence is in the attendance.
I disagree. I don't think the fans are satisfied with a playoff win.
How big is New York City ? 10,15,20 million ?
Out of all that people you'll find 20000 who are willing to spend some money to watch the Knicks.

If you suck and you play in a smaller city you're going to have a huge trouble filling your arena. But if you're playing in such a huge city you're always going to find people to go to a game no matter how bad you are.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #626
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 6,985
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Melo isn't the only player with a max contract. You can have a max player and still have talent elsewhere. Time to stop making excuses for the GMs. They didn't build teams properly BEFORE Melo and they probably won't after Melo. As I said before, some day you guys will wake up and say "Franchize was right. Our GMs suck at finding talent." lol
I agree with this. The only guy that actually brought talent to the team was Zeke. I do blame the GM's. I all but said that already. The GM's are the problem. Dolan is the problem.

Let's not compound the issue by giving Melo Max Money.... why....

My point was Melo isnt worth Max Money. If he wants Max Money he has shown he isnt that important of a draw, he isnt that important in the locker room, he isnt that important to his teammates on the floor, he isnt the face of the franchise or leader of men. So IMHO he isnt worth the MAX MONEY.

If the Knicks had the right President/GM then maybe we can believe they could build around Melo properly. We dont have the evidence that it can be done.


Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Yea thank goodness for Dee Millner





SAID NO ONE.....EVER!!!!!
I didnt think Dee Millner was going to be good right off the back. But he should have never been looked at like Revis replacement. He just wasnt healthy in college or good enough. But Revis couldnt help this team win more games than they did because the problem was offensively. No player that isnt a game changer or leader should take up that much hard cap space. Do not get me wrong I would have loved for Revis to come back but not at a game changer price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
I really dont think anyone disputes this.

All we're stating is having a guy soak up 40% of your cap compounds it further.

Now hear is something folks wont say.....

The Knicks will never win a title again because they arent needed to do so, and fans in general wont demand it.

All is need is a playoff win and a famous name and most are satisfied.

The evidence is in the attendance.
I really dont believe Dolan is about winning championships. I dont see anything he has done that leads me to believe that its about winning it seems to be about revenue and popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
I disagree. I don't think the fans are satisfied with a playoff win.
How big is New York City ? 10,15,20 million ?
Out of all that people you'll find 20000 who are willing to spend some money to watch the Knicks.

If you suck and you play in a smaller city you're going to have a huge trouble filling your arena. But if you're playing in such a huge city you're always going to find people to go to a game no matter how bad you are.
This I believe is true. People with disposable money will generally go fill up the Garden expensive seats. Look at the money that is made in the Tri-State area. Those seats will always been sold out. It's still a hot ticket for average folks as well.

It's not about the product on the floor thats why Dolan gets away with murder.

Last edited by Rameek : 12-26-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #627
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator
 
knickscity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Home of BullyBall!!!!
Posts: 9,322
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
I disagree. I don't think the fans are satisfied with a playoff win.
How big is New York City ? 10,15,20 million ?
Out of all that people you'll find 20000 who are willing to spend some money to watch the Knicks.

If you suck and you play in a smaller city you're going to have a huge trouble filling your arena. But if you're playing in such a huge city you're always going to find people to go to a game no matter how bad you are.
The Knicks werent consecutively selling out when they stunk, yet the team still remained profitable and increased in value.

But either way, you're proving my point, the Knicks dont have to build a winner.

folks will still come out and purchase tickets.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #628
Clutch
NBA Legend
 
Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSG
Posts: 16,422
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

We all know the Knicks won't win a championship until Dolan is gone.

We can blame GM's,players,coaches...whoever. But all of it is Dolan's fault because he picks incompetent people to run the franchise. Also he makes moves that will get him the most money. He puts money in front of team success.

New York is a huge city and also one of the top tourist destinations in the world. People will come to watch the Knicks even if they suck. Every tourist that loves basketball will try to go to MSG no matter how bad the Knicks have been. And out of millions of people that live in the city you'll find a few thousand to fill the arena.

This franchise is going nowhere while Dolan is at the helm. He makes money so he won't go away and sell the team. The only thing that can make him sell the team is him losing money,and for that to happen people need to boycott and stop going to the games. Only empty MSG will make some changes. But that's not going to happen.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #629
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 6,985
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
We all know the Knicks won't win a championship until Dolan is gone.

We can blame GM's,players,coaches...whoever. But all of it is Dolan's fault because he picks incompetent people to run the franchise. Also he makes moves that will get him the most money. He puts money in front of team success.

New York is a huge city and also one of the top tourist destinations in the world. People will come to watch the Knicks even if they suck. Every tourist that loves basketball will try to go to MSG no matter how bad the Knicks have been. And out of millions of people that live in the city you'll find a few thousand to fill the arena.

This franchise is going nowhere while Dolan is at the helm. He makes money so he won't go away and sell the team. The only thing that can make him sell the team is him losing money,and for that to happen people need to boycott and stop going to the games. Only empty MSG will make some changes. But that's not going to happen.
So signing Melo to a Max contract isnt about winning or championships its about revenue.

Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #630
Clutch
NBA Legend
 
Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSG
Posts: 16,422
Default Re: So what moves can be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
So signing Melo to a Max contract isnt about winning or championships its about revenue.

It's actually both. But what me and knickscity are trying to say is that Dolan doesn't care about the Knicks sucking as long as he's making money.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy