Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
unbreakable
National High School Star

unbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryunbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Does anyone use unix/linux?

Im gonna instill it soon.. should I use linux or unix? Also what shell do yall use? Any tips? Thanks.
unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

PHX_Phan is a pretty well-respected posterPHX_Phan is a pretty well-respected posterPHX_Phan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Does anyone use unix/linux?

I'd do a little research on which distro will work best out of the box with your hardware. Some computer models will work seamlessly while others are not even worth the effort.

With my last laptop, I would have needed to make my own frankenstien version by hacking together pieces of other distros if I wanted a suitable OS. With my desktop, I slapped Linux Mint on there and everything worked fine.
PHX_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I used Ubuntu a few years ago, which is the most used Linux OS around at the moment. Probably your best bet is to use that first off.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
MadeFromDust
i take yo azz 2da hole

MadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this board

I don't use it any more.
MadeFromDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If you are looking for user friendly linux go for Ubuntu.
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
DonD13
glew up ☆

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

yeah ubuntu makes the transition pretty easy
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Doctor Rivers
Good college starter

Doctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat cool

red hat
Doctor Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
red hat
Red Hat is good too, I used to use that back in school.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

I've used Linux exclusively for about two years now for business and personal reasons, and have experienced significantly fewer problems while doing so. I'm finished with Windows for good, and couldn't be happier.

For desktops and desktop-replacement grade laptops, I'd recommend Kubuntu. The visual settings are great, and the distro doesn't come saddled with the Unity crap that Ubuntu does. I found the transition from Windows to Kubuntu extremely easy.

Linux has alternative programs for most Windows programs, most of which have worked better for me. For Windows-only software, I run Wine and they work fine.

For smaller, older, or lower-powered machines, I recommend Bodhi Linux. It runs with very little power and computers that bog down with Windows run very quickly. It isn't as intuitive as Kubuntu, but still is relatively easy to learn.

There are so many varieties of Linux that it just take a bit of experimentation before most people will find one that suits them.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i've used ubuntu and mint, both are pretty easy to use.
DukeDelonte13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Linux craps all over apple and windows. You can virtually do everything with Linux for free, while the others are closed source and make you pay for every stupid sh*t.

Other than gaming, I can't stand either system.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Linux or BSD here as my primary OS for at least 15 years, and have been using Linux for 20 years. Arch FTW.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: