Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
sundizz
Local High School Star

sundizz has decent reputationsundizz has decent reputation
Default how often do u play?

im 27 now and trying to see how often people play? i played tuesday and two days later i still feel hella sore. do any of you play everyday? what are some things to do to help the body recover quicker?
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
stevieming
Serious playground baller

stevieming has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: how often do u play?

twice a week, 2 hours at a time...

Recovery is all about sleep and good food!! Burgers and fried chicken not so much.
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

im 23 and I play like 4 or 5 times a week. If you get too sore to play you should probably look at what you are eating. You have to have a good balance of protein/carbs/fats in order to get proper muscle recovery. Hydration is probably just as important. We are made up of 70% water, and you lose a lot of fluids playing basketball. You should be drinking water all the time, ESPECIALLY just after you play, that is the most important time as your body is more at risk to dehydration.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Diegio
I airball my layups

Diegio has an OK reputation so far

At least twice a week. I feel weird not balling for once within a week.
Diegio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If you play infrequently, with very little or no aerobic exercise otherwise, the constant soreness could be your muscles repeatedly breaking down and trying to get themselves in shape. If you play once, then take five days off, then play, it could just create a cycle of the body trying to get in shape over and over again.

For me, if I haven't been able to play for a while, there's certainly soreness. But if I play through it, it dissipates over time and my body adjusts. With basketball being such a high energy activity, it kind of requires a person to keep their body in a high energy state in order to ward off soreness. That's why, the more intense level of athletic activity is involved, the easier it is for one's muscles to atrophy via neglect.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryTheReal Kendall posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I'm 27 and I only play like once or twice a week on a good week. When I was younger I used to play all day everyday but now work, bills, and family come first so its hard to hoop like I want to. If you start playing more your body will get back used to it and you won't be sore like that.
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat cool

the older you get, the longer it takes to heal. especially if you go all out for a few hours. sometimes i gotta take acetominophen because i know i wont get much sleep if i dont. but once summer comes around, i can ball everyday. just as long as i dont go crazy for 3 hrs, ill be ok to play the next day.

right now i play at least once or twice a week, for maybe an hour and half each time. good night's rest is important in the healing process. and i guess drink milk.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
Svendiggity
Great young streetballer

Svendiggity has not been impressing people

I feel your pain. I'm 25 and not recovering as well as I did at 21.

Like other people said; eat healthy, stretch, and ice your knees from time to time. The stretching part is the hardest for me. I always tell myself I'll do it and don't get around to it.

But if I play hard 3-4 hours on a Saturday, I find myself not wanting to play on Sunday. Sometimes I do and I just pass and shoot jumpers. Sometimes I rest though and it sucks because when I was 20 I could play all day every day.
Svendiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

I'm 34 and play every Saturday morning. I'm usually recovered and ready to go again by the next Saturday lol
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation

No one likes basketball in France.

They all play that stupid commie sport called "football."

Americans call it "soccer."

But when I was living in the US and was younger it was twice a week during summer months for 3-5 hours.

Sun burns, lots of water drinking, blisters, sweaty and stinky socks and expensive nikes, sore biceps from practicing shooting too much, sore knees from playing concrete. good days but too old now (almost 35)
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Element
It's ugly ass B.Walton

Element has decent reputation

3-5 times a week
Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm 24, playing every day right now. Won't be able to play every day all year long, but I make sure I visit the gym, at least.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
keepinitreal
Great young streetballer

keepinitreal has decent reputationkeepinitreal has decent reputation

If this is your first time playing basketball in a long time, then expect a long recovery time. If you play a couple of days/week for about 3-4 weeks straight, the recovery time will be much shorter than it is now.

However, your recovery is slower at 27 years old than at 21 years old, and your time-to-recovery slowly increases as you age. Your ability/athleticism will still be with you for awhile though.

I play about 3 times/wk or 6 hours/wk.

Also, SLEEP is underrated. Make sure you get about 7-8 hours of sleep everyday. This is good for many, many, many reasons.
keepinitreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #14
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

2-3 times a week
i get really sore as well. it seems like it gets worse every year if i go all out for 2-3hrs. It kinda goes away if you're in better shape. I also make sure i do my yoga/stretching exercises for a full hour before i play. It helps alot with the after soreness. Water too. and sometimes i get major headaches the night after a few hours i played. nothing a little Advil cant help.

but its worth it. Aint no fun like playing bball.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I used to ball every Monday with my brother, two friends and whoever was playing at the local park, but we stopped doing that some time in March. I haven't played ball in a few weeks now and I'm getting the itch to play. Might go right now actually.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: