Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
tgan3
Local High School Star

tgan3 has an OK reputation so far
Default How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

I probably be satisfied with 5 million.

I will use 1 million for a super car.

4 million to invest in houses and collect rent so that I have a perpetual income.

Use the rent money for food/entertainment
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

I'm not big on "earning" money
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
Cali Syndicate
Decent college freshman

Cali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputation

I'd say a 6 figure salary is satisfactory.
Cali Syndicate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
Königspinguin
LandValueTax=Future

Königspinguin has decent reputationKönigspinguin has decent reputation

"Earning" money stops for most people in the millions. The most of them just own privileges and don't actually contribute to the economy with wealth production. They own land, or they own spectrum allocations, or they own minerals, or they own patents and copyrights, or they own slaves. It's all idle taking from what others create with very little "earning" involved.
Königspinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgan3
I probably be satisfied with 5 million.

I will use 1 million for a super car.

4 million to invest in houses and collect rent so that I have a perpetual income.

Use the rent money for food/entertainment

So you're gonna put 20% of your money into a devaluating toy and the rest in one fluctuating domain instead of diversifying your portfolio. I would warn you about the pitfalls of such poor decisions if your remarks didn't have me convinced that you don't have the capacity to ever face such financial dilemmas.
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
BlazerRed
Don has beautiful aura

BlazerRed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlazerRed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlazerRed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlazerRed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlazerRed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlazerRed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlazerRed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlazerRed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlazerRed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlazerRed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlazerRed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
So you're gonna put 20% of your money into a devaluating toy and the rest in one fluctuating domain instead of diversifying your portfolio. I would warn you about the pitfalls of such poor decisions if your remarks didn't have me convinced that you don't have the capacity to ever face such financial dilemmas.
Boom.
BlazerRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
Orlando Magic
National High School Star

Orlando Magic is considered somewhat coolOrlando Magic is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac

The car comment was stupid. Investing the entirety of the remainder into housing was also stupid... but to act as if now is still not a prime opportunity to invest in housing is ludicrous...

Unless you are able to foreshadow one of two things...

1) The entire collapse of the US dollar. The only reason this hasn't happened yet, imo, is it's still the world standard. Once the rest of the world goes away from it... goodbye. Will they? When will they? Bigger questions. But if that were the case this guy'd, along with the rest of us, have much bigger problems than his wasted investments.

2) Nuclear war.

If you can't foreshadow 1 or 2, it's pretty disingenuous to insinuate that investing in housing is an extremely poor decision because of the potential "pitfalls". lol. If you wan't to say it's because he took ALL of his money and put it there, then... sure, I'd agree.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

3 million

enough to retire and get the kids through college
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
chosen_one6
Earned not given

chosen_one6 is considered somewhat coolchosen_one6 is considered somewhat cool

I'd be good with a cool million. I would find ways to multiply it.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Money's like ****** you can never have too much
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
The car comment was stupid. Investing the entirety of the remainder into housing was also stupid... but to act as if now is still not a prime opportunity to invest in housing is ludicrous...

Unless you are able to foreshadow one of two things...

1) The entire collapse of the US dollar. The only reason this hasn't happened yet, imo, is it's still the world standard. Once the rest of the world goes away from it... goodbye. Will they? When will they? Bigger questions. But if that were the case this guy'd, along with the rest of us, have much bigger problems than his wasted investments.

2) Nuclear war.

If you can't foreshadow 1 or 2, it's pretty disingenuous to insinuate that investing in housing is an extremely poor decision because of the potential "pitfalls". lol. If you wan't to say it's because he took ALL of his money and put it there, then... sure, I'd agree.

Reread my post. I was talking about diversifying his portfolio, and not putting all his eggs in one basket. Also, his post didn't indicate he was talking exclusively about the American market. I can tell you that Canadian real estate hasn't taken the same hit as our southern neighbor and that major cities like Vancouver and Toronto are quite expensive to own property in.

Finally, you are telling me nothing new about the housing market. I own two income properties and am currently on board a plane that will take me to Miami for game 5 and then, to look at ocean front condos in Fort Lauderdale, Aventura and Hollywood in South Florida.
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

enough to retire wealthy, spend the rest of my days traveling the world, and have plenty left over for charity work...

$5 mill will NOT cut it for me...I need closer to $500 million, maybe $1 Billion
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
I'd say a 6 figure salary is satisfactory.
it's not, at all

no "salary" is satisfactory...a "salary" implies that you still have to go to work every day in order to make ends meet
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't have any real aspirations or anything so barring any rampant inflation I would be good with a mil.

Not if I have to work though. That defeats the purpose of being rich.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Nanners
Decent college freshman

Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Königspinguin
"Earning" money stops for most people in the millions. The most of them just own privileges and don't actually contribute to the economy with wealth production. They own land, or they own spectrum allocations, or they own minerals, or they own patents and copyrights, or they own slaves. It's all idle taking from what others create with very little "earning" involved.

Nailed it.

Your comment reminds me of a documentary I watched last night called Park Avenue (aka Citizen Koch). They talk about how social mobility in America is like a monopoly game where all of the property and money is already owned by the other players before you even start playing. Basically, the game is openly rigged and some players win by default.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: