Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How much money do you need to earn before you feel satisfied?

Be better with money PT
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
Doctor Rivers
Good college starter

Doctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Reread my post. I was talking about diversifying his portfolio, and not putting all his eggs in one basket. Also, his post didn't indicate he was talking exclusively about the American market. I can tell you that Canadian real estate hasn't taken the same hit as our southern neighbor and that major cities like Vancouver and Toronto are quite expensive to own property in.

Finally, you are telling me nothing new about the housing market. I own two income properties and am currently on board a plane that will take me to Miami for game 5 and then, to look at ocean front condos in Fort Lauderdale, Aventura and Hollywood in South Florida.

I thought he was talking about Afghan real estate
Doctor Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #18
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation

The OP's question talks about being "satisfied". No one is really satisfied unless they're rich enough to be completely independent from further work income?

Here's "satisfied" for me.

9-5 daily job
flexible 2-3 days work from home
low-stress, manageable deadlines
35+ PTO/sick days per year + national holidays
top 30% salary for my geographic location

Yes, I'd love a billion to just drop into my bank account and retire, but it's not going to happen. If you're not born into wealth, you can either work like crazy to break into the top 10% of America's wealth, or take your time and enjoy life while you're young. If you happen to love something that will also make you tons of money then consider yourself lucky.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
Goldrush25
Local High School Star

Goldrush25 has decent reputation

Before I graduated from college and got a job, I had all of these grandiose thoughts and dreams. I wanted to be a millionaire by the time I was 40. I think thoughts like that are not unusual if you've never made any money.

But now that I'm settled into my career, I've determined that I really don't need much more than what I have right now. As long as you aren't living paycheck to paycheck, you can afford to splurge on a trip to Vegas or Cancun, and you have enough cushion for any emergencies that may arise, I think that's all most people can ask for.

I don't have a traditional "boss" to answer to. I don't have to clock in. If I'm sick I just call in. If I want vacation time I request it and I get paid vacation (on vacation right now actually).

I look back to my very first job at Burger King 16 years ago and I compare it to my job today, and I realize how amazing I have it. If you have all of that kind of stuff you don't really need millions.

Nothing is perfect but I think the key to being satisfied is being content with good enough.

Last edited by Goldrush25 : 05-30-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Goldrush25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
The OP's question talks about being "satisfied". No one is really satisfied unless they're rich enough to be completely independent from further work income?

Here's "satisfied" for me.

9-5 daily job
flexible 2-3 days work from home
low-stress, manageable deadlines
35+ PTO/sick days per year + national holidays
top 30% salary for my geographic location

Yes, I'd love a billion to just drop into my bank account and retire, but it's not going to happen. If you're not born into wealth, you can either work like crazy to break into the top 10% of America's wealth, or take your time and enjoy life while you're young. If you happen to love something that will also make you tons of money then consider yourself lucky.
now we are just talking about the definition of "satisfied"

I was speaking of the amount of money needed in order to completely stop seeking out more money

I'm pretty sure that is what the OP was indenting as well...not just "oh, I'd be happy if I was making 100k a year"
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
now we are just talking about the definition of "satisfied"

I was speaking of the amount of money needed in order to completely stop seeking out more money

I'm pretty sure that is what the OP was indenting as well...not just "oh, I'd be happy if I was making 100k a year"

I would've gotten the same idea if the OP was phrased "How much money do you need to HAVE before you feel satisfied" Earn makes it sound like having to work is an implied part of your response.

But there's some ambiguity there for sure.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #22
StocktonFan
Banned

StocktonFan has an OK reputation so far

Household income for me is going to be near 160-170k.

Lifetime i would want 5M to be completely sold on financial stability.

I don't think it's ever going to happen unless i live in some shit city.
StocktonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch

Killbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Depends on the job where I'm earning my income.
Killbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
outbreak
Custom User Title

outbreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroutbreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroutbreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroutbreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroutbreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroutbreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroutbreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroutbreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm pretty comfortable, sure I'd love to not have to work ever again and have millions lying around but realistically I make enough for me. I've bought my own house (still have a mortgage though), got a car that's only a year old and enough free cash to drop close to 10k on pinball machines this year already.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #25
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I don't care about money as long as I'm happy. I won't be "satisfied" once I reach a certain dollar amount.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #26
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation here

I honestly don't know. For the average person probably never, there's this disease of more. It's simply never enough.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #27
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
If money, possessions and status are how you define your life and success, you will never be satisfied. There's always more to be had.

Spent the time from 25-40/45 as a serious Type A achiever, driven by financial goals. Burned through a couple marriages, along with countless relationships of all kinds.

Faced with a life changing health event, I realized I didn't have sh!t except enough money to pay out so I could continue the same pursuits.

Came out of the situation with a new outlook on life and a whole different set of priorities.

I have relatively good health, a wonderful girl, all the material things I really need, a career making a real difference in people's lives on a daily basis and, for the first time ever. contentment.

Define success, don't let it define you. It's an old cliche', but nobody ever laid on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time working to get stuff.
Basically. Reading through the responses here makes me realize how much different I view life than the average person. My parents never pulled in anywhere near six-figure salaries combined but money or happiness were never problems.

wait, why'd you delete?
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
If money, possessions and status are how you define your life and success, you will never be satisfied. There's always more to be had.

Spent the time from 25-40/45 as a serious Type A achiever, driven by financial goals. Burned through a couple marriages, along with countless relationships of all kinds.

Faced with a life changing health event, I realized I didn't have sh!t except enough money to pay out so I could continue the same pursuits.

Came out of the situation with a new outlook on life and a whole different set of priorities.

I have relatively good health, a wonderful girl, all the material things I really need, a career making a real difference in people's lives on a daily basis and, for the first time ever. contentment.

Define success, don't let it define you. It's an old cliche', but nobody ever laid on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time working to get stuff.

exactly...that is why true freedom only comes with extreme wealth

nobody ever wishes they worked 40 weeks their entire lives...even if you love your job you don't wish that, I love what I do but there are plenty of days I would rather be at the beach than behind a computer.

true freedom is being able to work on what you want, when you want, and how you want...and "IF" you want...and the only way that is obtained is through wealth.

even bums on the street are slaves to money...they sit on the corners all day begging for change so that they can eat...
Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #29
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
Basically. Reading through the responses here makes me realize how much different I view life than the average person. My parents never pulled in anywhere near six-figure salaries combined but money or happiness were never problems.

wait, why'd you delete?
happiness is a different subject, a broke man can be "happy"

but I am sure your parents had financial issues of some sort along the way. They had to go to work every day rather than spend time with you right? In my eyes that is a problem.

The majority of this country is conditioned to think working 40 hours a week is freedom...but it isn't at all
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #30
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
happiness is a different subject, a broke man can be "happy"

but I am sure your parents had financial issues of some sort along the way. They had to go to work every day rather than spend time with you right? In my eyes that is a problem.

The majority of this country is conditioned to think working 40 hours a week is freedom...but it isn't at all
Im sure the majority of people who know me think my parents are rich when the truth is that their parents probably have higher paying jobs than mine did. Most people are just terrible with money. I've always had everything I ever wanted whether it was the newest game system or now, a new truck and my own on campus apartment at school.

People think you have to have high paying jobs to live comfortably when its really about how responsible and greedy you are.
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: