Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #16
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Default Re: OT : How Long Should Children Live with Their Parents?

I saw stats on this the other day. In Canada, just over 60% of people aged 20-26 still live with their parents, it's becoming increasingly acceptable, mainly due to high university debts and high property costs.
kwajo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #17
rezznor
Nosetradamus

also, its expected that tghe kids take care of the parents once they get old. its only fair. they changed your diapers, now you change theirs. :
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #18
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

soon as they're done with college.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #19
JSub
Decent college freshman

I'm asian, so my parents paid off my entire college tuiton. I lived at home for 6 months post-graduation and commuted to work, but I recently moved out to cut down the travel time. I still go home once every two weeks....for food and laundry.

Anyways, in the asian culture, family is very important (especially for the elderly). My grandmother has lived with my parents for the past....oh, I dunno....20+ years? Its a pain in the ass for my mom particularly. The same will probably apply to me with my parents, although I forsee them moving into one of our other houses. For the distant future, I plan to pay for my kids education and provided shelter as long as they dont slack off. University/professional degrees exponentially increase earning potential, so they'll be better off in the end.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #20
sydneyking
Banned

I'm definitely not moving out until I graduate (I was brought up in the same city as my university). Once I get a full-time job I might even stay at home for 6 months to 1 year just to help pay off my student debt.
sydneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #21
Duck Rodgers
Serious playground baller

I think they should stay at home as long as they need it and if the parents are able and willing. The thing is....they need to be doing something. If you have some lazy ass child who sits in the basement all day playing video games...kick them to the curb. Somebody that works and/or goes to school....let them hang around for a few years and build a little steam heading out into the real world.
Duck Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #22
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Not for nothing, some American households are so, what's the word, greedy? If I were a parent I would want to keep my kid in my house as long as possible, if he/she was doing the right thing. You know, having a job or going to school, or something that's at least productive. And that's the way my parents are and my family/culture is in general.

My cousin is trying to get his masters and he's I believe 26, and my aunt and uncle have been supporting him his whole life and even bought him an apartment and helped him pay for his wedding (they probably paid for the whole thing). And this is in "developing country", let along in a place in Long Island (where I live) where the average house goes for 400k (a decent one at least)

No wonder you guys put your parents in retirement homes, it's just revenge for your parents kicking out of your house.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #23
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

like boozehound and JSub have stated, it also depends on culture.

in the paki/indian culture you live with your parents, and then when you are able to, you support your parents for all that they have given you. my greatgrand parents used to live with my grandparents, and my grandparents used to live with my parents. its just the way the culture is. when i have a family and am able to buy my own place, i am obligated to take of my parents just as they took care of my grandparents.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #24
The_Masterplan
Banned

I dont think I will be in any debt as long as I manage my money well and not spend it on so much crap. Also, save up money by reffing soccer games and getting a job somewhere this summer and not get a credit card. If my parents found out i got a credit card then its community college for me so i dont want that.

I wont have to be paying any student loans due to the texas tomorrow fund my parents invested in. Instead of paying the presetn 20,000 dollar tuition of A&M right now, my parents only have to pay 8,000 dollar tuition of A&M because they started it when I was 8 and thats how much it was.

If i do the above and save up enough money during internships then I wont have to move back in with my parents after i graduate.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #25
Darkess
High School Varsity 12th Man

Children in my mind have three options:

1) Move out

2) Get a job, then pay their parents for food/shelter

3) Go to school
Darkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #26
Rebel INS
I hit open 5-footers

its pretty rare these days for parents to just kick their children out after college. I could stay at home after college, but i'm eager/ready to take on the real world.
Rebel INS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #27
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Left for college, don't plan on living home afterwards, at least not for a prolonged period.

People should just get an education and not feed off their parents... I just think ethics says this.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #28
icemanfan
Local High School Star

I left home at 18 and went to boot camp. Left the service and got married. Went to college at 25 after I had two kids. Paid my own way and have no understanding of any who didn't or who would have it any other way.
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #29
PureElement
Local High School Star

Still 17 so its gonna be about another 3 years before I will kick myself out of the house.
PureElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 PM   #30
icemanfan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
I saw stats on this the other day. In Canada, just over 60% of people aged 20-26 still live with their parents, it's becoming increasingly acceptable, mainly due to high university debts and high property costs.
and lazy ass kids
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: