Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-14-2007, 09:51 PM   #31
PureElement
Local High School Star

PureElement has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: OT : How Long Should Children Live with Their Parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
I saw stats on this the other day. In Canada, just over 60% of people aged 20-26 still live with their parents, it's becoming increasingly acceptable, mainly due to high university debts and high property
costs.

Its ridiculous how houses doubled in value over the 7 years I've lived in Edmonton. Fuking oil.
PureElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:52 PM   #32
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

****, as long as they can.

I left home and lived on my own when I was 16. Not even just on my own, but on the other side of the country to finish high school.

Biggest mistake ever.

Hold on to that bird nest kids!! HOLD ONTO IT FOR DEAR LIFE!!!!!1
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #33
HollaBolla
Banned

HollaBolla has an OK reputation so far

well my Dad threw me out of the house when I was 19 yrs old but gave the house to me when he retired, I was surprised I thought my Dad didn't love me at all, he went back to Singapore and currently living there.
HollaBolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #34
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanfan
and lazy ass kids

Why is it lazy? I'll live with my parents until I just can't, and when I get older I'll support them.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:08 AM   #35
gsxr1kryder
Decent playground baller

gsxr1kryder has an OK reputation so far

i don't understand how some parents would throw their children out as soon as they turned 18. I've seen it happen, and I just don't understand. You've got to question how good of a parent/how much love they actually have for their kids. True, I think the kid should either have a job or should be going to college, not just sitting around skimming off of mom and dad, but still, to just say, well, you're 18, see ya! I just don't get.

I moved out (by my decision) at 19. the house I moved into with 3 other guys became a major party house. every night of the week there were 15-20 people there. Was A LOT of fun for the first 6 months or so, then it just became a pain, as you never had time to do anything by yourself. And I honestly didn't think that i would EVER get sick of alcohol, boy was i wrong. so at 20, I moved back home. Mainly to just get some peace and quiet and to quit drinking so much. I could now pick and choose which parties to go to, instead of having one at my house every night. I lived there until I got married at 22.

my brother is still living at home and he is 22. He's going to school part time and working full time. basically it's just a place for him to sleep. once he gets his degree, he says he plans to move out.
gsxr1kryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #36
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

I wouldnt question a parent's love for their children just because they put them out at 18...

friend of mine, his mom was warning him when we was both 15.

"When you graduate High school, your ass is outta here"

It wasnt that she didnt love him, it is just the way she believed it should be..

She let him do what he basically wanted when he lived there, but she let him know, time is up when you graduate or turn 18..

sometimes that approach works better for the kid than babying the kid until they are 29 yrs old.. I know a female who has a child, lives at home and works a nice job.. the only reason she doesnt leave is because she knows she doesnt have to... She has her mother watch the kid while she runs the streets....She has a built in baby sitter and free reign to do as she pleases...Why would she give that up?

Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #37
KnicksForever
I airball my layups

KnicksForever has an OK reputation so far

it depends. for a middle class to low class family if you got a good part-time job and are ready to live on your own, mentally, then there is no reason why you should stay with parents any longer. your parents will always say it's ok to stay with them. i mean they don't mind to pay for your tuition fees and food they're happy to whether or not it is a burden for them they will do it but as you're not a kid anymore 18-20 age-wise you should realise that you can help them reduce expenses if you get a job and rent a place with your friend or something. you have no idea how much you could help them save money by doing just that.

get a loan for school isn't that bad, at least not for me. after graduated you will have money to pay it off. it may take a few years but so what. it is a matter of 1.) you want to work and pay the loans by yourself after getting a real job which means no money for a while 2.) you want your parents to work/maybe work harder and pay for you while you're in school so that you can keep all the money you get from work in your pocket. you choose.

anyhow live your life the way you want to. all that is just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaBolla
well my Dad threw me out of the house when I was 19 yrs old but gave the house to me when he retired, I was surprised I thought my Dad didn't love me at all, he went back to Singapore and currently living there.

this guy got a great dad. i bet now you know what your dad was trying to teach you.
KnicksForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #38
LongBeachLakers
Local High School Star

LongBeachLakers has an OK reputation so far

I'm 21, lives at home. No job, financial aid leecher, goes to uni... lol.....
LongBeachLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #39
DaHeezy
College star

DaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I'd say 21 is good. For asians it like 30. Then their parents move in with them when they're 35
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #40
LongBeachLakers
Local High School Star

LongBeachLakers has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
the freedom was nice, but it kept me from concentrating on school as much as i should have.

I know the feeling. I get that same feeling walking and taking the city bus around Los Angelas and Long Beach. You could get that same feeling hitchhiking alone. It's a feeling of independence and being in control of what you do.
LongBeachLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #41
Shredder
Banned

Shredder has an OK reputation so far

I moved out right after I graduated high school...My parents were actually against it and still say I should come live at home but they have always been supportive financially and emotionally if need be

I would actually not reccomend moving out of your parents house until your at least a so. or jr. in college...I guess it all depends in the situation and while moving out might help you out better in the long run it also might be somewhat unneccesary and very stressful
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #42
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

Im 23 and live at home still, I was a high school drop out and started college late (21).My parents said I can stay until I get my Bachelors degree in accounting.They said I can stay as long as I am pursuing my degree.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #43
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm 25 and live at home. I'll be done with school in a month, prob. look for some jobs, and be out in the next 2-3 months. I get along great with my parents, and when they get old, I will definately return the favor and help take care of them in anyway I can.

I live 15 minutes from my university. There are def. pros and cons to living at home while a college student. It's harder to maintain friendships while I live at home, because I can't be doing a bunch of running around and wasting gas to meet up with people all the time. I sometimes wish I could just walk down the street if I wanted to meet up with someone. Also, it's harder to meet girls. The whole "hey, I'm 25 and live at home" usually doesn't work too well. *lol* Another downfall is I can't walk home after a night at the bar. I usually have to crash an uncomfortable couch, or just not drink at all.

The pros are that I always have good food to eat, it's free, and there are less distractions so I can get my work done
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: