Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #31
dh144498
ripthekik is my hero!
 
dh144498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,787
dh144498 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMontana
Kobes dad was an NBA player, and Kobe was one of the most athletic players ever in like 01. If you dont see that he was born gifted your delusional.

For NBA players physical gifts is the most important factor in how good you'll be. Sure you get some dudes who get by on pure talent and are lazy as ****(JR Smith, Mike Beasley), but when your talking about the professional ranks mostly all these dudes workout hard. There is $$$ on the line. Physical gifts is the one thing noone can ever match no matter how hard they work out. This isn't like your local park where if you practice, watch your nutrition, and workout you will be able to dominate just because of that.

dh144498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
Mass Debator
Local High School Star
 
Mass Debator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,503
Mass Debator has decent reputation
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Kobe was a superb athlete. Kobe's athleticism is still good. There's just more pacing involved now.
Mass Debator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #33
KG215
NBA Legend
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,816
KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

I'm trying to figure out how the OP came to the conclusion that Kobe has the GOAT work ethic. Like there's endless amounts of evidence of how hard other players worked on their game over the years. I mean we know Jordan had a legendary work ethic, too, but other than that it's not like you hear much about the workout routines of other players. And even if we did, how in the hell do you even rank something like that?
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #34
Ca$H
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,129
Ca$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryCa$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryCa$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I'm trying to figure out how the OP came to the conclusion that Kobe has the GOAT work ethic. Like there's endless amounts of evidence of how hard other players worked on their game over the years. I mean we know Jordan had a legendary work ethic, too, but other than that it's not like you hear much about the workout routines of other players. And even if we did, how in the hell do you even rank something like that?

Because he is the biggest overachiever. He has a very low ceiling but somehow managed to achieve a resume that is reserved for the athletic elite or big men.
Only Bird has an argument over Kobe, but he is 6' 9" and has huge hands.
Kobe is actually only 6' 5" with small hands.
Ca$H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #35
3LiftHeatCurse
Alonzo Mournings Scowl
 
3LiftHeatCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,565
3LiftHeatCurse has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Kobe copied everything from Michael Jordan, including his work ethic.

So, if you praise Kobe, you are really praising Michael Jordan. he was renowned for being the hardest worker in the NBA, even though he was already the best player.

Kobe used to ask Phil Jackson questions about how long Jordan would work out, how would Jordan do this, how would Jordan do that, and Kobe based his workouts on that MJ intel.

So really, props to MJ for being the GOAT work ethic
3LiftHeatCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #36
3LiftHeatCurse
Alonzo Mournings Scowl
 
3LiftHeatCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,565
3LiftHeatCurse has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$H
Because he is the biggest overachiever. He has a very low ceiling but somehow managed to achieve a resume that is reserved for the athletic elite or big men.
Only Bird has an argument over Kobe, but he is 6' 9" and has huge hands.
Kobe is actually only 6' 5" with small hands.

Uh, sonny, Kobe was a sidekick to Shaq so 3 of those rings aren't really "Kobe managed to achieve this" when talking about All Time Greats. Bird was always the leader on his teams. Kobe wasn't.

And Bird was never outplayed by his All-Star teammates in a Finals series. Kobe was, as Gasol should have gotten 2010 FMVP
3LiftHeatCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #37
Unbiased_one
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 972
Unbiased_one has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$H
Mitch Richmond with Pau and Odom would be worse than Mitch Richmond with Tim Hardaway and Chris Mullin. Pau and Odom are in the running for the worst championship #2 and #3 options in NBA history.

As you can see here there is a pretty strong argument that pau should have been 2010 finals MVP...if he's the worst second option ever, where does that put kobe amongst the first options?
Unbiased_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #38
3LiftHeatCurse
Alonzo Mournings Scowl
 
3LiftHeatCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,565
3LiftHeatCurse has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleterious
Was you the pathetic dude that made the Kobe flop video?

1) Kobe fans make threads bashing LeBron and acting like Kobe never flops. "I can't imagine other greats like Jordan, Bird, Kobe flopping!!"

2) I make video showing that Kobe flops. Kobetards ethered.

Problem?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleterious
Anyway your argument is silly because that can be said about Wade/MAgic/KAreem/Pippen and basically every second option just is that Kobe may be the best second option of all time.

If we're going to GOAT 2nd Option, then I pick Scottie Pippen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleterious
I am not arguing the silly thing OP said but man are you stupid, just because he copied someone doesn't mean he can't take it to the next level.

Where is your proof that Kobe took it to the next level. You in the gym with both Jordan and Kobe to scientifically prove this?

All you Kobestans offer is conjecture and hyperbole to prop up your false god while I provided a STATEMENT OF FACT that, in MJ's day, he was widely regarded as the hardest worker in the NBA, and that Kobe used to ask Phil for intel on MJ's workout habits so he could copy it.

I provide facts, you don't.
3LiftHeatCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #39
jstern
Great college starter
 
jstern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,623
jstern has decent reputation
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Kobe is the GOAT at trying to show, and putting forth a good effort to show to the public that he has an unmatched work ethic. I mean to be at his level you have to have a work ethic, but with Kobe he goes out of his way to show that. Unlike every other superstar, like Lebron, who obviously works hard, but doesn't go out of his way to talk about it.

Also, Jordan's physical ability also show an extreme work ethic. You just don't have his athleticism based on genes. Eat whatever you want and expect to jump from the foul line.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #40
Ca$H
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,129
Ca$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryCa$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryCa$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LiftHeatCurse
Uh, sonny, Kobe was a sidekick to Shaq so 3 of those rings aren't really "Kobe managed to achieve this" when talking about All Time Greats. Bird was always the leader on his teams. Kobe wasn't.

And Bird was never outplayed by his All-Star teammates in a Finals series. Kobe was, as Gasol should have gotten 2010 FMVP

Kobe has 11 All NBA first teams. The most in NBA history. Why hasn't his athletic equal JR Smith been able to accomplish the same? Kobe is an overachiever. Jordan didn't overachieve. Jordan always had GOAT physical talent.
Ca$H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #41
KG215
NBA Legend
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,816
KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$H
Because he is the biggest overachiever. He has a very low ceiling but somehow managed to achieve a resume that is reserved for the athletic elite or big men.
Only Bird has an argument over Kobe, but he is 6' 9" and has huge hands.
Kobe is actually only 6' 5" with small hands.
That's still your VERY biased opinion. You're also selling Kobe's physical gifts very short (he's a much better athlete than you seem to think) and he was always a very strong player mentally.

And you've boiled down your argument to something as stupid as "Kobe is only 6'5" with small hands." I'm not sure you understand how ridiculous it is to base your argument on something that dense.

And It's absurd to try and claim anyone has the "GOAT work ethic" because there's absolutely no objective way to measure something like that. Not unless you've got detailed reports of every player's (past and present) off-season and in-season workout/practice routines.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #42
Ca$H
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,129
Ca$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryCa$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryCa$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
That's still your VERY biased opinion. You're also selling Kobe's physical gifts very short (he's a much better athlete than you seem to think) and he was always a very strong player mentally.

And you've boiled down your argument to something as stupid as "Kobe is only 6'5" with small hands." I'm not sure you understand how ridiculous it is to base your argument on something that dense.

And It's absurd to try and claim anyone has the "GOAT work ethic" because there's absolutely no objective way to measure something like that. Not unless you've got detailed reports of every player's (past and present) off-season and in-season workout/practice routines.

I think he is equal to JR Smith. I think it is fair and reasonable comparison.
Ca$H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #43
Ca$H
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,129
Ca$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryCa$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryCa$H posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern
Kobe is the GOAT at trying to show, and putting forth a good effort to show to the public that he has an unmatched work ethic. I mean to be at his level you have to have a work ethic, but with Kobe he goes out of his way to show that. Unlike every other superstar, like Lebron, who obviously works hard, but doesn't go out of his way to talk about it.

Also, Jordan's physical ability also show an extreme work ethic. You just don't have his athleticism based on genes. Eat whatever you want and expect to jump from the foul line.

I've seen the dude workout multiple times at the ARC at UC Irvine during the summer. There were no cameras to film that beast putting in work.
Ca$H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #44
KG215
NBA Legend
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,816
KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$H
I think he is equal to JR Smith. I think it is fair and reasonable comparison.
Ok, but J.R. Smith, even by NBA standards, is and always has been a very good athlete. You're making it seem like Kobe has overcome nearly impossible lack of physical gifts and tools, and it's only because of his work ethic he's as good as he is.

You mentioned Larry Bird, but Kobe was more physically gifted than Bird. The only thing Bird has on Kobe is his height. Other than that, he wasn't ever as good of an athlete as Kobe; not as good of a leaper, not as quick, not as fast, etc.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #45
SamuraiSWISH
GOAT gonna GOAT
 
SamuraiSWISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,631
SamuraiSWISH is popular on this boardSamuraiSWISH is popular on this boardSamuraiSWISH is popular on this boardSamuraiSWISH is popular on this board
Default Re: Kobe has the GOAT work ethic

MJ and Kobe. Bird, West are up there too.
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy