Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-28-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far
Default shelden williams says he never worked out for hawks

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celt...ticleid=146008

Quote:
Williams a sliding factor
By Mark Murphy
Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - Updated: 08:14 AM EST

NEW YORK - If the Celtics end up landing a slider with the seventh pick in tonight’s draft, they may have to thank Duke’s Shelden Williams for displacing that player.

Notebook

The 6-foot-9 power forward, who has always had a fan in Danny Ainge, continues to be paired with Atlanta and the No. 5 pick.

Ainge, for one, is giving the report credence.

“I’ve believed that one for a while,” Ainge said yesterday. “He makes sense there.”

Williams isn’t about to discount the Atlanta talk, either. But considering that Williams has been through the same battery of workouts as every other player, there is one odd note about his connection with the Hawks. As he said, “I never worked out for them.”
Though a published report has paired Rudy Gay with Toronto and the No. 1 pick, the UConn forward is either in the dark or should play poker for a living.

“I have no idea where I’m going,” he said. “This draft is so unpredictable. Every one of us has heard we could go in the top two or the top five, but none of us really know.”

great, they promised him the 5th pick but didn't get a workout from him. GREAT JOB ATLANTA!
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

wth? was atlanta bluffing to stir things up? i dont get this. granted, you can draft a player without working him out, but still... :confused:
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Washington, time to trade up! Jeffries and the 18 for a mid-late lottery pick. Let's do it.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
Put Back Dunk
TOMMY POINT!

Put Back Dunk has an OK reputation so far

Wasn't it only rumored that a "Top 5 team" gave him the promise, and it was just some ass reporter who speculated that it was Atalanta?
Put Back Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
sixty
Good High School Starter

sixty has an OK reputation so far

The Hawks just can't get a break.

Harrington is leaving.
Williams is not ready to step up.
And now this BS.

I feel sorry for them...
sixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

JohnnyBravo5 has an OK reputation so far

Exactly. It was just hype. We worked out pretty much all guards. My guess is that we end up with Brandon Roy or Randy Foye. Billy says he wants bigs, but unless Aldridge or Bargnani falls to us it will be a combo guard.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5
Exactly. It was just hype. We worked out pretty much all guards. My guess is that we end up with Brandon Roy or Randy Foye. Billy says he wants bigs, but unless Aldridge or Bargnani falls to us it will be a combo guard.

If the Raptors take Barghnani and the Bulls take Thomas, then it is very possible for Aldridge to fall to the Hawks.

Every year one guy falls. I hope it is Aldridge this year and with the Hawks.

This is the most unpredictable draft in years.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Could be a smoke screen that he did work out for them. Maybe they want to get him lower.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
The Hawks just can't get a break.

Harrington is leaving.
That doesn't really mean anything. Lord knows they got 53 other SFs to take his place. If they wanted Al to come back he would. But they don't. And I think Williams will surprise people next year. He won't be an all star but he will show that he belongs (which he did NOT do last year) and will be at least very much starter quality.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #10
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Doesn't make sense. Shelden would have been there at 5 anyway if they wanted him. Why "guarantee" him anything?
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Shelden will definately be there at 5 if they want him, I think they were trying to stir things up. However, I don't see a better choice there for them. They need a big man, not some long SF with no handles or post game like Aldridge even if they could get him.

But hey I wouldn't think they were doing the wrong thing if they took the Celtics idea, and traded their pick for Telfair and something else. They need a pg, just as much as they need a C/Pf
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #12
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
Shelden will definately be there at 5 if they want him, I think they were trying to stir things up. However, I don't see a better choice there for them. They need a big man, not some long SF with no handles or post game like Aldridge even if they could get him.

But hey I wouldn't think they were doing the wrong thing if they took the Celtics idea, and traded their pick for Telfair and something else. They need a pg, just as much as they need a C/Pf
they can always draft foye. and i can't wait till gay slips to 5 and they draft him
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: