Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
adamcz
Bucks fan
 
adamcz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 3,727
Default Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

I found it on youtube - just search for his name and sort by most recently added if you want to see it.

He turns me off a little bit with his "all glory and praise to god" schtik, but it's hard to find a candidate that doesn't do that. Otherwise, what an amazing speaker! He will literally destroy anybody who is dumb enough to have a debate with him, should he get that far in the campaign.

He's still at the "talk is cheap" stage of his campaign, but I love the things that he is vowing to work on - increased funding for scientific research, universal health care, more money to teachers and schools, less money to war. I like him so much that I'm willing to overlook all the jesus love.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

a master of elocution eh?


this I must check out.






if this guy sticks to his word, I may actually vote for him.


the only thing about diverting money from the war...


find a way to end it first, before you divert funding.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
adamcz
Bucks fan
 
adamcz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 3,727
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

He says he has a plan to get the troops home by March '08, but I don't know specifically what it is. It may be just giving the Iraqi's that deadline so that they can prepare, and simply bringing the boys home.

As for the other projects, I'm sure they will neccesitate tax raises and/or elimination of tax cuts. I'm all for that, but I know many will not be.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,543
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

I like the guy... I think it is way too early to get an idea for who will come out on top..

Im most impressed with his speeches as well. I think a ****** will show in his armor eventually, but so far, he looks great.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
ElKuKuy
Decent playground baller
 
ElKuKuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In Ur Mouth
Posts: 337
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

I've actually heard of him turning people off simply bcuz he smokes.
It's sad if people dont vote for him simply bcuz of that.

He made a good point about bringing the troops home.

"Why should American soldiers die over another countrys' civil war".
ElKuKuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?
 
ALBballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,886
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKuKuy
I've actually heard of him turning people off simply bcuz he smokes.
It's sad if people dont vote for him simply bcuz of that.

He made a good point about bringing the troops home.

"Why should American soldiers die over another countrys' civil war".

Smokers are looked as evil in American society. I remember when I used to smoke people would just at me with disgust, as if I were Hitler or something.

, whatever, but when it comes to drinking, drink away your problems, but don't dare take out that cigarette.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
saKf
Roy = my new fave.
 
saKf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Not offended by low scores.
Posts: 4,206
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

I've been meaning to read his book, mostly to confirm the suspicion I have that he's more of a "real person" than any candidate I've seen in a while.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

yes you need a squeaky clean image to succeed, therefore he should quit smoking and other habits... at least overtly... at least for the duration of his Presidential campaign and possible tenure as the Commander in Chief.




the one thing that irks me... whether it's done by liberals or conservatives, is to defame a person for something they did in the past.


of course, if it's a crime, then you should look past it. but something trivial such as a bad habit, or even dating someone unsavory... as long as the politician is currently reformed and doing everythin gexpected of a civil servant, why bring out his/her past record? stop focusing on the past. focus on the future.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
reppy
Apparently likes anime
 
reppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,174
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
I like the guy... I think it is way too early to get an idea for who will come out on top..

Im most impressed with his speeches as well. I think a ****** will show in his armor eventually, but so far, he looks great.

Republicans have been trying soooo hard. Here's what they've come up with so far:

His middle name is Hussein; they will often refer to him as Barack Hussein Obama. You know, because we refer to all of our politicians by their full names.

His dad that wasn't there for his childhood was apparently a Muslim.

He went to a "madrassa". Or, school. In Indonesia, if I recall. And there may have been Muslims that went there, too! OMG!

He's "black", but not "slave black". So, he can't act like he's been deprived of anything.

I got a big chuckle out of this article:

Quote:
Australia PM slams US candidate

Prime Minister Howard fears failure in Iraq could cause destabilisation
Australian PM John Howard has criticised US presidential hopeful Barack Obama for saying US troops should withdraw from Iraq next year.

[...]

Mr Howard said Mr Obama's stance on Iraq "will just encourage those who want to completely destabilise and destroy Iraq, and create chaos and a victory for the terrorists to hang on and hope for an Obama victory".

"If I were running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008 and be praying as many times as possible for a victory not only for Obama but also for the Democrats."

Mr Howard said any withdrawal of US troops by March 2008 - the date Mr Obama believes should be set - would mean defeat for Washington.

[...]

Mr Obama, who has described the Iraq war as "tragic", said he was "flattered" by Mr Howard's statement.

He said: "I think it's flattering that one of George Bush's allies on the other side of the world started attacking me the day after I announced.

"I would also note that we have close to 140,000 troops on the ground now, and my understanding is Mr Howard has deployed 1,400, so if he is (ready) to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them to Iraq."

"Otherwise it's just a bunch of empty rhetoric," he added.

[...]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asi...ic/6352785.stm

Booya, sucka! Put up or shut up, chump!
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
reppy
Apparently likes anime
 
reppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,174
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
yes you need a squeaky clean image to succeed, therefore he should quit smoking and other habits... at least overtly... at least for the duration of his Presidential campaign and possible tenure as the Commander in Chief.




the one thing that irks me... whether it's done by liberals or conservatives, is to defame a person for something they did in the past.


of course, if it's a crime, then you should look past it. but something trivial such as a bad habit, or even dating someone unsavory... as long as the politician is currently reformed and doing everythin gexpected of a civil servant, why bring out his/her past record? stop focusing on the past. focus on the future.

If your past consists of: heavy drug abuse, failed businesses, corruption and having everything handed to you by your daddy's friends.. I don't think we should look beyond your past. That's reason enough not to vote you in. Besides, what you do in the past is precedent for what you can do in the future.

If you smoked a joint, I don't care. If you killed a hooker, I care.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #11
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
If your past consists of: heavy drug abuse, failed businesses, corruption and having everything handed to you by your daddy's friends.. I don't think we should look beyond your past. That's reason enough not to vote you in. Besides, what you do in the past is precedent for what you can do in the future.

If you smoked a joint, I don't care. If you killed a hooker, I care.



precisely my point.


I am a right leaning libertarian, so I view Barrack with wary eyes... but my point is as long as he is trying to make a concerted effort to appear President-like and truly reform himself, then he should be given a fair shot at the Oval Office.

besides... if he really did those atrocious acts, it boggles the mind why he is a frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
Cavs Fan
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 197
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

Quote:
besides... if he really did those atrocious acts, it boggles the mind why he is a frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.

Obama is a democrat? I thought elephants were Republicans?

Cavs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
reppy
Apparently likes anime
 
reppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,174
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
precisely my point.


I am a right leaning libertarian, so I view Barrack with wary eyes... but my point is as long as he is trying to make a concerted effort to appear President-like and truly reform himself, then he should be given a fair shot at the Oval Office.

besides... if he really did those atrocious acts, it boggles the mind why he is a frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.

Perhaps I should have made it more clear: I'm talking about Dubya.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:11 PM   #14
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,543
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

Quote:
He said: "I think it's flattering that one of George Bush's allies on the other side of the world started attacking me the day after I announced.

"I would also note that we have close to 140,000 troops on the ground now, and my understanding is Mr Howard has deployed 1,400, so if he is (ready) to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them to Iraq."

^this is exactly what Im talking about when I say Im impressed with him so far.....

his response was perfect....
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #15
Heilige
An Icon Forever
 
Heilige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: location,location
Posts: 3,402
Default Re: Anybody watch Barack's speech from Saturday?

A lot of black people are trying to say Obama isn't black...


Quote:
'Barack Obama - not black like me'

Washington - US political darling Barack Obama has received enthusiastic support for a possible 2008 presidential bid - except from fellow African-Americans, a group many had believed would be among his staunchest backers.

Obama announced on Tuesday that he was forming a presidential exploratory committee, allowing him to begin raising campaign funds and openly court support in his bid to become the first black US president.

But in sharp contrast to the effusive reception he has received from white Americans, many US blacks so far have been cool, noting that while they share skin colour with Obama, they do not have a common culture or history.

"Obama did not - does not - share a heritage with the majority of black Americans, who are descendants of plantation slaves," African-American newspaper columnist Stanley Crouch wrote in November, in an article entitled "Barack Obama - Not Black Like Me".

Radio host George Wilson, whose nationally broadcast talk show tests the opinions of a cross-section of African-American listeners, said response to the Illinois senator so far has been "lukewarm".

"There's a feeling that if white folks like him so much he must not be good for us. For some blacks, it's a turn-off," Wilson said.

Obama draws enormous, mostly white, crowds, even though the first presidential primary election is still more than a year away, and is seen as a top contender for the Democratic presidential nomination.

But Crouch said that the first-term US senator - the bi-racial progeny of a black Kenyan father and a white American mother - does not share with most American blacks the painful legacy of slavery, repressive segregation laws and civil rights struggles.

Political analyst Ron Walters said that Obama, whose Harvard law school pedigree rounds out his half-European ancestry, is a black man whom many whites find reassuring.

However, African-Americans, who are accustomed to leaders who emerge from the civil rights movement, sometimes appear to struggle to relate to Obama.

If Obama runs he would be the first African-American candidate for president who does not come out of the civil rights movement.


Why did I guess that a whole swag of black people would be saying he isn't black enough? FFS, anyway do they just forget what MLK said?

Seriously. Despite that article American black drone on all about "Desending from Africa" or "Retaking African heritage", yet when a guy comes along with a African dad they basically tell him he should **** off.

Also the salvery arguement is bollocks. Any black american alive has never actually experienced slavery.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy